A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,546
Currently Running With Scissors:
612 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Upcycled Wool Diaper Soaker  (Read 1335 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

neeners2004
« on: December 05, 2012 08:01:47 PM »

We are expecting our second baby in May.  I used disposables with our firstborn, but am planning to cloth diaper this new kid.  Newsflash: Cloth diapers are expensive.  Plan:  DIY that crap. 

This wool soaker is made from a 100% wool sweater I found at the thrift store for $1.25 using a free pattern found here http://katrinastyle.webs.com/ .

This sweater was already pretty felted when I bought it, but I ran it through the washer and dryer one more time to be sure.  My only concern is that it might be too big.  :/  I made the newborn size, but it seems more like a 1-3 month old size to me.  Maybe I'm wrong!  It's been a while since we've had a baby in this house!

Thoughts?  Do/Did you cloth diaper your little n00bs?  How'd it go for you?  If you made your own, what pattern did you use?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012 08:03:24 PM by neeners2004 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

margiej
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012 08:09:29 PM »

Please explain:  why use a wool soaker?  is it a substitute for a cloth diaper or rubber panties? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Too bad I don't hear voices, I would enjoy the company
WWW.PINTEREST.COM/MARGARETCJOY
neeners2004
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012 08:15:03 PM »

A wool soaker is to be used over a prefold or fitted cloth diaper.  It can hold 30% of its weight in moisture before feeling damp.  It's also antibacterial.  I've been told by friends and family that I might be crazy for making this for my baby due this summer, but cloth diapering mommas everywhere seem to all say that wool is more breathable, and will keep tiny behinds cool in the summer.  We'll see about that part. 

Also, assuming one doesn't leave their munchkin in the thing for hours on end and it doesn't get saturated, wool soakers don't need to be washed as frequently as other diaper covers due to their naturally antibacterial properties.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012 09:14:40 PM »

Where I live it gets extremely hot and humid around October to December and I used a similar nappy covering for my children 20 years ago.  I don't recall any problems with nappy rash except at  weaning when there was the occasional food reaction. 

The wool pants I used were knitted from a special untreated wool which still had the lanolin in it.  It was a very simple triangular pattern as far as I can remember and I also did not need to felt them either.

You are correct that they didn't need washing nearly so often unless contaminated with poo of course Tongue .  They, however, did need to be re-treated with lanolin every now and then.  On the whole I felt they were much, much better for a hot climate than plastic pants.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
neeners2004
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012 06:39:15 AM »

On the whole I felt they were much, much better for a hot climate than plastic pants.

Good to hear! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

margiej
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012 11:03:14 AM »

I just didn't know why you'd use them, so thank you!  My girls are 39 and 36, and I used Kimbies Disposable diapers on the first (she broke out with Pampers) and the other I used cloth diapers with plastic panties (which were hot and not great).  So this sounds like a  good alternative.  It is mind-boggling what disposables cost over time!!!!!  So your cloth diapers might be expensive but boy are they long-run moneysavers!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Too bad I don't hear voices, I would enjoy the company
WWW.PINTEREST.COM/MARGARETCJOY
monnie31
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013 07:00:08 PM »

I am due for baby #2 in Feb and am cloth diapering this round as well, I made about 16 diapers and covers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Barking Lard BLT at Barking Dog in Indianpolis, Indiana
Fried PB&J Sandwich at South Philadelphia Tap Room
How To Make The Spicy Brunch Dish Chilaquiles
Belgian Buttermilk Waffle Recipe
How to Make Baby Leek and Mushroom Quiche for Easter Brunch
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...