A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,958
Currently Running With Scissors:
819 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Drawstring Hobo  (Read 1768 times)
Tags for this thread: hobo_bag , hobo , purse , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RedBirdTrue
« on: July 20, 2013 03:02:25 PM »

Here is my latest Hobo Bag. Hobo bags are my favorite kind. I always make mine huge so I can load them up if I need to, but since Hobo bags are soft and smooshy they are lighter and smaller when you don't have much in them.

About ten years ago I bought a Hobo bag for $10 at a Flea Market. I loved that bag except for the fact that it has an open top and no pockets. I decided to use the Flea Market Hobo as a jumping off point and add a few modifications to fit my wishes.

Here is my finished bag.

I put a cell phone pocket on the top for quick access:

One of the great features of this bag is the shoulder strap is really wide and doesn't slide off my shoulders like other straps do.

I put four good sized pockets on the outside - two on each side - for quick access stuff.

Since I first made the purse I've gone back and put a different button on each pocket so I know before I open it what is in there. Example: green sparkly button has keys in that pocket, etc.

I used Velcro closures instead of zippers to keep the bag lightweight:

The top of the original bag hobo was open. I don't like that because I don't want to worry about stuff falling out. I just added flaps at the top for a drawstring closure:

Here is a closeup of the drawstring. I might make a version someday with a zipper but I love the softness of a zipper-free bag.

Here is a shot of the inside of the bag. I can fit an amazing amount of stuff in here, including an iPad, camera, umbrella, etc., plus all the usual stuff. Since I put quick-access pockets on the outside, I didn't feel the need for pockets on the inside:

I've been using this bag for about a month and love it! I'll probably make my next bag using this same template, with just a few tweaks, like making my outside pockets a little taller so my phone can slide down deeper.

Happy to hear any thoughts or suggestions!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013 03:05:26 PM by RedBirdTrue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~~ Don't sweat it, just make it! I'm sure it will be great. ~~~
LadybugsAndBumblebees
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013 04:39:01 PM »

You're a girl after my own heart!  I love it!

The only thing I would change, if it were mine, IS to have a zipper closure on top.  I just don't like drawstrings, but that's a personal choice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl

You can call me Queen Bee!
Or, Ladybug Girl, if you'd prefer.
SiFi Mom

I own too many beads!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013 05:57:41 PM »

I think it looks like a very useful bag you've designed.  Love the material you used too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiFi Mom, aka Nancy
Crafting is my mental therapy!
JenniferSavage
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013 08:14:31 PM »

This looks great! I love the idea of different buttons to identify what's in each pocket. That's brilliant!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I can make that!" has been the start of more misadventures than I can count Cheesy
Pinterest - http://pinterest.com/ShesASavage

My username was previously MyBabyIsACommunist!
RedBirdTrue
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013 09:17:51 PM »

Thanks to all for the encouraging words - much appreciated!

LadybugsandBumblebees, I will probably make the next hobo with a zipper so I can compare. On any given day I'm usually split pretty evenly on the zipper vs drawstring choice.  One of the things I like about the drawstring is when I put my purse beside me in my car for the work commute I can usually reach over with one hand and open the bag just enough to get what I need. I usually need two hands for zippers. But I do like the secure closure a zipper gives.

SiFi Mom, I purchased both of those fabrics at Walmart, if you can believe that!

mybabyisacommunist - when I was in a hurry I kept doing a little treasure hunt trying to find which pocket had my keys. Smiley Putting a different button on each pocket was such an easy and effective solution I can't believe I haven't done it before now. On two pockets I also sewed some of my favorite beads to help me remember what was in those.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sharalee

www.wists.com/SharaLee http://pinterest.com/sharalee3/pins/?filter=likes

Retired Hairstylist/Crafter

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013 12:01:23 PM »

I Love your bag! You did a great job! I would also make a zipper closing on top knowing me I would get all tangled up in the strings. If you got a little heavier zipper maybe it would be easier to open with one hand. Also I love the pockets but I still would put pockets inside you never have enough pockets & it would also make a great diaper bag! Great design!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http:/pinterest.com/sharalee3

"Christmas Stocking Swap RD 10"

Will do personal swaps!! I make Art Dolls/Junker Jane Dolls/Raggedy Ann & Andy Dolls/also TM Patches
RedBirdTrue
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013 05:33:02 AM »

Thanks, Sharalee! I'm sure on my next hobo I'll change it up with a zipper. You're right - a nice big chunky zipper would be a great option.

Normally I'm all about tons of pockets but using outside pockets was part of my experiment this time.  About a year ago I started putting  everything in my purse in little zippered bags in separate categories. I use a variety of these  bags from Baggu:https://baggu.com/shop/zipperbagm/animals. I'll make some of my own one day, but for now I'd rather pay them to fuss with the lightweight nylon materials. Smiley The material is so lightweight (but durable) it doesn't add any weight to my bag. I know by color what is in each bag - pink bag has aspirin and Tylenol, green bag has mints,etc.  Bottom line, nothing is running loose in my purse. Makes it a snap to change purses too.

The outside pockets are for my constantly used stuff - keys, sunglasses, wallet, lip balm & hand sanitizer, etc. So far this system is working great for me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013 10:05:33 AM »

Oh gosh, I love this!  Love the fabric and the shape. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
liliv-1
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013 02:11:51 PM »

I love this! Lovely fabrics but most of all I like the drawstring, not so practical but very very cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Basic Wound Make up Part 4/7
How to Create Basic Wound Make up Part 7/7
How to Create Basic Wound Make up Part 3/7
How to use Black Wrap on a Film Set
How to use Kino Flo Lights
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...