A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 299,151
Currently Running With Scissors:
600 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Wall decor ideas needed  (Read 601 times)
Tags for this thread: wall_decor  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

steiconi
« on: November 22, 2014 07:28:23 PM »

I have this Wall that sticks out into my living room.  That makes it very visible, and I'd like to have a big, bold something on it for the holidays.  My colors are airy white, silver, blue, turquoise.

I don't want to do a traditional motif like tree, wreath, santa, angel.  Spirals would be nice, but I can't figure out what to make them from or how to hang them.  I can put nails or push pins in The Wall.  I don't think I want to paint The Wall.

Here's a picture of The Wall decorated for Halloween.  It would be nice to have something to hold attention away from the weird shape that doesn't go all the way to the ceiling.  The Wall is about 3" wide and 8' tall.  There's a niche on top that's about 30" wide from this side, and about 5' deep.  Be nice to make it look like it has a purpose.  Only thing on The Wall now is a clock with ornate turquoise frame.  Shelf unit could stay or go.  Help?!?!?!

« Last Edit: November 22, 2014 07:31:25 PM by steiconi » THIS ROCKS   Logged
stillatthetop
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014 12:04:51 AM »

I have decided to decorate my house year round. I have re named it my holiday ranch.

I say, keep up what you have, then add to it. Whatever you like.

I have 6 little squidletts. Than I plan to trace their hands and make those turkey decorations with for Thanksgiving. My tree will stay up year round. And keep getting added to. And the kids and I will continue to make fun stuff to the house and tree.  Grin

Just keep adding as you wish. Look for the TM Patch wish list here. Those are fun. Don't know if this has helped, but I love to decorate. And glad that you wish to decorate, too.

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
steiconi
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014 01:09:06 AM »

One of the things I like best about the holidays is unpacking the decorations and putting them up.  Another favorite is taking them down and putting them away.  Having the tree up for just a month makes it special, magical, a constant surprise.  If you have it up year-round, you won't even notice it by the time March rolls around. 

I don't even use the same ornaments every year, I usually pick a theme.  Peacocks last year, Blue Christmas this year, and I think Woodland Animals next year (advance planning means I can collect decor this year for next, especially after christmas.  Yes, I have lots of storage space, but I also get rid of some stuff every year.)

I've known a couple of people who just keep adding to the existing decor; I worked for one, and one of my tasks was to have pictures reframed with smaller mats so more stuff could fit on the wall.  And even though many of them were beautiful and often expensive, they became just more stuff.  It gets oppressive. 

I swap out decor a few times a year.  After the first of the year, I'm planning an Asian theme with red and brass.  It will be a nice change from the cool blues of the holidays.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Antidigger
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014 01:44:40 AM »

Giant Snowflake? Extending to cover above the niche (where a lamp might go to light it?).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
stillatthetop
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014 07:35:32 AM »

Spirals are easy to cut from butter container lids. Just trim off the edge piece {garbage}. Then go round and round the center piece. Hit it with a hair dryer to soften, and pull down the smallest of the spiral to shape. Think tornado  Cheesy

You can spray paint it first if you wish a different color, or to hide the lettering on the lid. If it is stubborn to shape, then you might want to have an "anchor" piece at the bottom...like a heavy bead or bobble attached to the small end. To weight it down with to keep the shape.

You can also fashion these out of a heavy weight paper. It is a common kid craft art, but looks nifty all the same. You could also add glitter glue, or something to dress it up and make it sparkle.

Happy decorating!

~T

Oh, and I love the snowflake idea. I will have to teach the little squids in my life how to make some. They are not my kids..just neighbors and friends that I watch and play with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
steiconi
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014 10:43:27 AM »

Snowflake is a nice idea; I like the one in this thread  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=284805.0  Putting a light up in the niche is a cool idea.  There's a canlight in the ceiling close to it, I could use one of those screw-in adapters to make it a plug.

Cutting spirals might be the ticket.  I could hang them from the ceiling, crossing the niche and hanging down The Wall, unifying the whole space.

Looks like I'm going to have to bring the BIG ladder up!

thanks, and keep those ideas coming, folks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014 08:15:18 AM »

I like the idea of a giant snowflake with spirals around it-like a snow storm. What about mistletoe or holly motif but not traditional like an art deco style. I love this ornament and I'm sure you could come up with something around it.

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/235242780512232663/

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/235242780512232684/

I also really love this idea
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/235242780512043558/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog!
My pinterest
Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds
steiconi
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014 05:51:21 PM »

Well, I liked the idea of running something all the way up to the ceiling, so here's what I did:

It's nice in theory, but I just don't care for it.  And then it hit me:  the mall near where I used to live hung decorations a lot like this every christmas.   Dear me, I've reinvented mall decor! 

Worst part:  it was a bugger to hang.  The ceiling is 12 feet high there, so we had to bring up the extension ladder to put the hooks in.  AND we'll have to bring the ladder back to take it down, so I think it'll stay for now. 

Mally Christmas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014 08:17:47 AM »

Mall Christmas Cheesy I wonder if you hung some scarfs or garland if you would like it more. Like a boho Christmas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog!
My pinterest
Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn These Tricks to Creating a More Grown-Up Wardrobe
Iconic Beauty Brands
Red Carpet Up Do How To Video
The Zoe Report: 15 Beauty Must-Haves For A Sunny Escape
Surprising Uses for Cinnamon in Your Beauty Routine
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...