A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,470
Currently Running With Scissors:
564 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HELP - Need Rustic/Old Fashion Christmas Ideas  (Read 627 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Helena Puck
« on: December 02, 2012 09:44:25 AM »

So happy to have stumbled upon this forum because I really need some help.

This past weekend at my craft show, my dad recently showed interest in doing an Old Fashion style Christmas tree, and he promptly purchased a dozen of my ornaments which was really nice of him. I loved that he is attempting to have his tree reflect HIM. He's been married multiple times and I've seen him get lost in THEIR styles rather than his own.

I always try to put a lot of thought into the things I get him because he hates when people spend money on him and he appreciates things that I've made. I likes going to auctions and he runs merchandise to different thrift/consignment/flea market/peddlers mall style booths. He is excited about getting ready to retire soon from the Toyota plant.

He has a funny sense of humor about money. He loves the duct tape wallet that I gave him one year and he'll always reminds me when he needs another one. His wallet is his conversational piece.

He always wears the Autism Awareness or the St. Patrick bamboo tile necklaces that I make.

One year I bought him a wood-turned snowman. He was in awe of it.

Another year, I cross stitched and framed  My Old Kentucky Home picture: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=380775.0. He almost cried. He has historical Kentucky things all over his house, especially My Old Kentucky Home things.

For his father's day, I found him a red Old Kentucky Home decorative plate. For his birthday, I found a needlepoint in the shape of Kentucky at an antique store. He's fun to shop for sometimes because it is like going on a scavenger hunt.

Here are a few ideas but I'd really love some help:

1. Rustic cross stitch ornaments
2. wood burned ornaments either purchased or made by me
3. purchased laser cut flat wood ornaments representing each grandchild or daughter
4. something wood carved (not by me)
5. Embroidered ornaments or something (because I learned embroidery this year and have not given him something embroidered yet).
6. Something reflecting his grandkids. Because he's the kind of grandpa that would love pictures of the boys.
7. Something completely out of the box- cannot be purchased. Time related. Coupon for time doing a specific activity.

I'd love some help pleeeease. Give me links to tutorials or ideas about products available that might appeal to him. I don't mind buying something for him but it needs to be something he couldn't go to the store and find himself like the snowman or vintage-y things.  
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012 09:57:24 AM by Helena Puck » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop
Blog
pinterest

Open to trades for Smurfs, minions, and personal swaps
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012 02:54:04 AM »

That is very sweet - he sounds great. 

There is a great tute on Craftster for a star ornament that someone did here that featured family pics - it may be something that you could do to feature the grand kids:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=282950.0

I bought plain wood ornaments that I transferred images onto and woodburned too.  I did owl ones, which I have pictures for

http://onyxnox.blogspot.ca/2010/11/christmas-ornaments-galore.html -

but, I did some also with a word, like peace, or joy in old fashioned script on one side, and on the other a snowflake, and tinted them an antique blue stain, leaving the button on top a golden wood tone, with a ribbon hanger.

As for cross stitched or embroidery, my first thought is doing some classic redwork - there is a classic, vintage look to them, and would look so pretty on the tree - they would pop against the green of the tree.

How are you at sewing?  What about a tree skirt with some embroidered trim or panel.  My first thought was one with alternating red and white/offwhite panels radiating out from the base of the tree, with redwork embroidery on the white panels, and plain red panels, or simple white pattern on the red.

Or his own stocking, with the understanding that all the kids/grandkids each make him 1 thing to fill it with - he may like that, as the proud poppa or granddad.

Or using pictures of the family printed onto transfers or onto fabric, and made into a rag quilt, or lap blanket for him?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
Helena Puck
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012 04:53:07 AM »

Thank you so much for the great suggestions! I am definitely going to check out the Family star tutorial and maybe attempt a tree skirt. You've been a great help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop
Blog
pinterest

Open to trades for Smurfs, minions, and personal swaps
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Thanksgiving Frittata
How to Make Holiday Side Dishes
How to Make Baked Macaroni and Cheese, Part 1
How to Make Baked Macaroni and Cheese, Part 2
How to Make Homemade Stuffing, Part 2
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #102-MissingWillow
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...