A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,052
Currently Running With Scissors:
637 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I'm new to ceramics- help & advice needed!  (Read 431 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tylon

Graphic Designer & Crafter!

View Profile WWW
« on: December 02, 2012 07:39:11 AM »

Hello everybody,

We have a friend who has all these ceramic supplies they are selling for a bargain, (special ovens, machines, molds, paints, etc they used to run a ceramics business apparently) and we want to start a new hobby with everything. I have no idea where to start when it comes to this, I honestly know nothing about ceramics to begin with. I have seen some BEAUTIFUL ceramic art which I admire, and jumped on this whole opportunity to learn something new.

My Dad had some concerns since the items and materials are older (I'm going to estimate 15 years or so old) Some of the clay provided is apparently older and hardened; is there a way to work with this? The paints might have thickened as well, so I'm not sure if there is a solution to help ease up the thickness of the clay and perhaps paints.

I do have a long-term goal in mind for what we want to do with ceramics. My mom used to take classes and enjoyed making home-decor, our friend makes beautiful steel products in which some ceramic elements would enhance his product line and make it more unique, so it would become more like a collaboration between his company and us. I currently sew and work with jewelry, and see some beautiful works of art combined with ceramics to make jewelry and enhance collectable stuffed animals (some people make the face and hand paint it, add it to the fur, etc and make the "stuffed animal" now a collectible work of art). I know in order for us to do any of this- we need to learn and work with the basics. I figured with a long-term goal in mind, we can work with what we have and work our way up. I also noticed (if this is possible) the prices for my stuffed-animal eyes and parts are going way up- and someday, would love to be able to make my own eyes and perhaps my own mold for this (different sized eyes). However I do not know if that would be possible. It seems like we all (meaning my family) want to get into this art of ceramics, just need to take the first steps into it. I could not think of any better way than asking the people in the community right here. So many people on here helped me before with sewing and jewelry making, and I greatly appreciate all responses and feedback and trust this place more than any other community out there.

The basics, however, is where I need the help. I know this opportunity sale comes with two special ovens, two kilns, over 200 molds, various paints and clays. We are currently looking into local businesses who offer beginner classes so we can take these classes to further our education and skill set in ceramics.

If anybody has any advice on what to look out for, dos and don't, tutorials, even brands to go with as far as specific clays or paints I am open to all suggestions and would greatly appreciate any help. Even special videos would be great. My family has a lot of creativity going on- and I think this opportunity would be great for us all to start a new hobby and try something different.

I would like to thank everybody for their help and responses. If you would like feel free to email me any information and introduce yourself! I'm trying to also be more involved with the craft community by participating in local craft fairs and events with the company I design metal art for, which has really opened my eyes up to the possibilities and crafts out there.

Thank you all again!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am a graphic designer. I am an illustrator. I am a photographer. I am a writer. I am a crafter. I am an artist. I am a creator.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Turkey and Sweet Potato Hash
Simple Turkey Broth Recipe
Leftover Turkey Cobb Sandwich Recipe
How to Revamp Your Thanksgiving Leftovers
Recipes: What To Do With All Those Thanksgiving Leftovers
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...