A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,609
Currently Running With Scissors:
676 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Please Help me, crafts/other ideas to make money  (Read 1212 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PepsiTwist
« on: August 09, 2006 01:08:56 PM »

Ok Im not sure this is in the right spot so please correct it if im wrong.

I was invited to go to France, Spain, Portugal, and Morocco next summer (2007) for 20 days on a student ambassadors program. I really want to go but I know its going to be insanely expensive, and I know we cant afford it right now, not with my 16th bday party and my truck (already paid for but needs some work done to it) and christmas and everything.

My cousin was also invited and her parents said she could go no matter what the cost, but im not sure if they will stick with that statement once we find out how much it actually is.

Therefore, I'm looking for massive amounts of ways to make a good amount of money other than the obvious get a job (im not allowed).

I was thinking of making and selling things but im not sure what to make or where to sell it.
The main thing I know how to do is sew (craft related wise).

I am looking for any idea at all, whether you think its good or bad or whatever I NEED HELP!!

Currently I am in high school in 10th grade I am taking 5 honors classes and 1 AP class and I play volleyball for the school. Therefore I dont have tons of excess time, I do have time on the weekends and if its the difference between going or not Im willing to work my butt off.

Please give me as many ideas as you can, i will greatly appreciate it!!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cinderly
Crazy Cat Lady (in training)

Morkmer loves his eggy!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006 01:27:44 PM »

What about getting local businesses to sponsor you?  When I was in high school, most of the language clubs planned trips (German Club to Germany, Russian Club to Russia, French Club to France ... I don't remember if the Spanish Club did anything) and the club had several local sponsors.  I believe the sponsors were thanked in the club newsletter.

The French Club also held a French-only day; the students got friends and family to sponsor them at $X dollars per hour of French-only.  Of course, this required faculty support, but maybe you could do something similar with one of your classes?

You could hold a craft-a-thon.  Ask people to sponsor you at $X per blanket you make for Project Linus or some other charity over a weekend or a 7-day-period. 

Hold donations-based crafting lessons after school.  (Get your advisor or whomever is organizing the trip to help promote the lessons.)

You can hold a tag sale with donated and crafted goods.  When asking for donated items, remember to tell people that the tag sale is a fundraising effort -- one of the local Boy Scout troops does this every year with good results.  (You may have less luck with this if donations to your group are NOT tax-deductible.)

Publicize your fundraising efforts.  See if the local paper is interested in your story -- a lot of news outlets are looking for "good teen" human interest stories.  (If they're reluctant, offer to write the story yourself, then find a good editor for polish.)

Open an Etsy shop (with the 'rents permission, of course) and link it in your signature of every message board you frequent.  Mention the fundraising mission in the link and again in the storefront.

If you *just* want to make and sell stuff, approach the manager or owner of any local businesses you frequent.  My local coffee shop has items for sale to benefit a work-training program in Mexico; one of the burrito places has a weekly raffle for homemade brownies, with the proceeds going to an employee's ballet school fund.

There's also the good old standby of a car wash or bake sale. 

Good luck!  What a fantastic opportunity.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stuff I've made  --  Swap Info  --  Wist  -- got a secret?

Got 4.5" cotton squares?  I <3 personal swaps!
McJulie-O
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006 03:30:37 PM »

Typical jobs may not be ideal for you, but have you considered tutoring younger kids? There's always a demand for tutoring in Algebra (which you have probably taken, considering your schedule), and sometimes kids respond better to younger (peer) tutors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaleesi
Craftaholic

Rae'Lynn Grace - 5 months old

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006 03:34:19 PM »

The thing I have found that sells like crazy is anything mascot related.
You might have to ask your school if that is allowed - but I have sold duct tape purses/duct tape bracelets and earrings with school mascots and the kids can't get enough!
you could probably sew some cuff bracelets with the mascot - and charge extra to embroider their name in it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a gorgeous granddaughter Smiley

Not allowed to craft without supervision Wink
God is big enough.....
PepsiTwist
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006 07:55:18 AM »

o wow, those are some really great ideas, i think i might try a few of them!! Thanks so much for you help! Grin Grin Grin Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Meow16
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012 03:13:32 PM »

if you are a good cook......well me and my BFF made a little stand and baked cookies and brownies during the parade that goes right past her house we made about 24 bucks! if you get younger friends or siblings that adults would think are cute then that is a bonus
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Meow16
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012 04:30:51 PM »

Since it's a school program why not see about being able to make and then sell candy-o-grams or valentines at school to be delivered to students (purchased by other students) in class.  This might already be done in your school, but if not it might be a great opportunity. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
TwistMySister
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012 04:37:23 AM »

if you search this on google it will come up with a crap ton of ideas, here are some obvious ones.....

sell old clothes etc on ebay/garage sale
sew some stuff for ebay/garage sale
sew or craft and go to a local market or carpark sale and have a table every weekend
ask around or advertise alterations/sewing services
dog walking / baby sitting
sewing lessons?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick, and pull yourself together.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/On-The-Front-Line/175858075802771

http://www.etsy.com/shop/OnTheFrontLine
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Raw Nut-Free Carob Dessert
Nutella Brownie Bite Recipe
Raw Peach Cobbler Recipe
Blueberry Muffin Recipe
Berry Cobbler Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...