A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,358
Currently Running With Scissors:
557 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Yarn Bombing Los Angeles- Covering the Craft and Folk Art Museum in Grannies!  (Read 999 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KismetFyrechyld
That Crazy Redhead

Crochet, Chainmail, Amtgard, Theatre-I do that.

View Profile WWW
« on: November 30, 2012 04:49:07 PM »

Yarn Bombing Los Angeles is on a mission, and they need our help! They're covering the Craft and Folk Art Museum in LA with 5" granny squares to transform it into a giant doll house!

So here's the deal: They need 5" granny squares in solid colors (bright orange, lime green, white, cyan, hot pink, purple, and yellow) to put together and cover the museum. All submissions need to have a tail of 5 to 6 inches so they can stitch them together, and they need to arrive no later than March 1st, 2013. If you want to receive press credit for your work, include your name, location, and favorite type of stitch in your package of squares.

Send your squares to:
Yarn Bombing Los Angeles
c/o Arzu Arda Kosar
18th Street Arts Center
1653 18th Street #5
Santa Monica, CA 90404

Additional info, as well as the contact form to officially sign up, can be found here: http://www.yarnbombinglosangeles.com/call-for-entry.html

Hope to see lots of squares from the Craftster gang on the finished project!!!

~Kismet~

**NEW INFO**
Once the display is finished, all of the squares will be washed, sewn into blankets, and given out to the homeless in LA. So it's a doubly awesome project.

***MORE NEW INFO***
Squares can still be mailed in until March 1st, so please consider making at least one!

Also, they're fundraising to cover the cost of the installation. They need to raise at least $8,000 by February 20th in order to receive any funding. All donations are tax deductible. They're at $3,972 right now. If everyone who sees this post can come up with $5 or $10, they'll be able to install this awesome project. Please take a look at the link, and donate if you can! Thanks!

http://www.usaprojects.org/project/cafam_granny_squared
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013 08:23:52 AM by KismetFyrechyld » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I started making chain mail jewelry in June 2011, and started my own company, Incendia Designs, in August 2011. I also crochet, act, sew (a little) and am enjoying being a newlywed!
KismetFyrechyld
That Crazy Redhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012 10:36:38 PM »

Current square count for me: 15 bright orange; 10 yellow; 2 purple.

I'll be on the road most of the day tomorrow, so I'm hoping to add a pile of new ones to these! Purple is what I'm working on at the moment, with white next, and lime and cyan after that. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I started making chain mail jewelry in June 2011, and started my own company, Incendia Designs, in August 2011. I also crochet, act, sew (a little) and am enjoying being a newlywed!
KismetFyrechyld
That Crazy Redhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013 11:14:47 AM »

Up to 70 finished squares. 15 bright orange, 10 yellow, 14 white, 21 purple, and 10 lime green. I've got half a skein of the lime green left, plus a full skein of bright blue, and I just found two more skeins of white that may go toward this, or may go toward a Stormtrooper blanket later this year. We'll see! I'm going to finish the green and blue, then stuff all of the squares into a box and see how much room I have left before I decide where the white is going. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KismetFyrechyld
That Crazy Redhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013 09:17:03 AM »

Just got my confirmation email. My 92 squares were received yesterday. Now to finish a couple of other projects, so I can buy more yarn for this without feeling guilty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sheepBlue
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting to keep insanity at bay.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013 07:27:29 PM »

This is awesome, I wish I had found the thread earlier, but at least I still have a month I can try to contribute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Position Text in Photoshop CS3
How to Print an Image in Photoshop CS3
How to Put an Image Inside of Text in Photoshop CS3
How to Rearrange Layers in Photoshop CS3
How to Remove Acne in Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...