A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,075
Currently Running With Scissors:
688 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Apron - now with tutorial!  (Read 7214 times)
Tags for this thread: apron , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lelyonna
Tutorial Contributor

Regnflickan

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2012 01:47:48 PM »

I realised I never got around to uploading this, but this is an apron I made for myself this spring, which I have used more than any piece of clothing I currently own.
I moved to a house on the countryside, where I do a lot of garderning and hanging around with the animals. Lying on my knees in the dirt and grass all the time, and having little goats climbing in my lap to play and cuddle kind of makes my clothes a mess basically everytime I go out to do something. So to protect my clothes and not drag in a lot of dirt I made this.
The design is inspired by regency fashioned aprons, but altered for function. The skirt is wide, and pretty much covers everything so I can simply sit down and not have to worry about about getting dirty, and the straps are wide for comfort.
The pockets (I have added two larger ones since the picture was taken) are full of useful stuff I usually need for gardening and stuff. And moss sometimes too, since one of the baby goats has made a habit out of picking moss and stuffing it down my pocket when I'm not watching...

Funny thing is... I swear this fabric was green when I bought it. And while I was sewing. Then I stepped into the light and it was reddish! Those wierd lamplights tricked me!
And just in case you didn't know- aprons are the best for carrying stuff. You know when you've been cleaning out weeds and have heaps to carry away, and you can only carry so much in your arms without dropping loads... Not a problem anymore. Just put it in the apron and you can carry immense piles at once.

After an entire summer's work the poor fabric isn't as clean anymore... There are stains all over from different coloured current and blueberries, and grass and dirt and heaven knows what. But I like it. I looks used, as it should =)

TUTORIAL

As per requested by all you sweet people, I have tried to draw one. It's very messy, but I hope you can understand it somewhat =)

1. Cut out the pieces:

The meassurements here are in centimeters (sorry all you inchy-people out there), and does not include hem allowance, so don't forget to add that! I know my picture is really messy, but everything is mostly just even squares/circles apart from the front which is slightly wider in the bottom, and the sides which are a bit wider in the bottom to give it a shape I prefer. This is completley unnecessary though, and you can just cut them as stright lines. This is what my sides look like up close:

Now, as far as the skirt goes it's pretty much just a little more than halfe a circle. I think I just started drawing half a circle, then added what I could fit on the fabric. It's somewhere between a 3/4 circle and a half circle. If you do not know how to draw circles them ask me and I'll tell you, otherwise, just draw as much as you can fit =)

2. Hem

Hem the sides marked with red here. (just fold and sew them down. Either zig-zag and fold ones, or fold twice (which is what I do)

3. Sew the sides together with the front

(you know this guys- right side against right side)

3.2. Wrinkle the lower side of the front.

Sew a loose seam here, then pull at it to wrinkle it slightly. You just want to shorten it a few centimers (maybe 3) for shape.

4. Sew the belt to the top

Once again- you know this part. Right side against the right side, and of course you want the front/top centred on the middle of the belt.

5. Attach skirt to belt

Right side against right, and still in the centre, of course. In my first picture the skirt looks a bit mis-shaped and not in the same sixe as you cut out. This is just because I suck at drawing, so don't mind it. Really it should by now look more like the pic to the right.

6. Add pockets

Just meassure out where you want the pockets to be, and then sew them on. I have two pair of pockets in various sizes. If you want this too, then just sew the smaller ones on first, and then let the bigger ones lie over them. Just put the squares on the skirt, and sew them on in double seams for stability (that is- one seam just by the very edge, and one seam like 0,5 centimeter further in).

7. Hem the last parts.

This was kind of difficult draw so I'm guessing my picture doesn't explain anything at all. Anyway, just take the belt and fold the hems down and sew a seam all along the belt, crossing over to hold the inner hems of front+belt, and skirt+belt down.

8. Attach the shoulder straps to the back.

Put the apron on and adjust your shoulderstraps to sit comfortably. I have mine crossed in the back, and placed just outside of the skirt on the belt.

And et voila- you're done! (I hope. I didn't miss anything did I?)

If you make any of these, please let me know, cause I'm dying out of curiosity and would love to see!<3
 And if soemthing is unclear, don't hesitate to ask me
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012 01:19:18 PM by lelyonna » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The key to happiness is not getting what you want- it's wanting what you get"
candycoatedcheese
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012 02:05:48 PM »

I am in love with this. Any chance of a tutorial?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lelyonna
Tutorial Contributor

Regnflickan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012 02:09:19 PM »

Oh... Thanks=)
I always get a bit surprised at comments like this one over hasty projects I haven't put much effort in.
I don't have a tutorial, cause I sort of just winged it as I went. Cut it on guesses without pattern or calculations. But if you ever to get around to making something similar just let me know and I can draw you a pattern then =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aliped

Only dead fish go with the flow ....

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012 02:44:01 PM »

This is great - well done - if you do ever post a pattern or a tute, could you include a baby goat? Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lelyonna
Tutorial Contributor

Regnflickan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012 02:50:09 PM »

This is great - well done - if you do ever post a pattern or a tute, could you include a baby goat? Smiley

*laughs* Well, I was gonna say that our babies are half grown up by now, but we got a new younger miniture-goat that I still haven't gotten to see yet cause he just arrived! Perhaps I should take a picture of him ^^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hawkeyes_girl

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012 04:12:51 PM »

I am so epically in love with this. I am second on the tute request list if you decide! It's beautiful and I love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One of the reasons I was attracted to you was because you were so damn cute, sitting there crocheting." -Art

Wist: http://www.wists.com/hawkeyes_girl
lelyonna
Tutorial Contributor

Regnflickan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012 05:26:06 PM »

I am so epically in love with this. I am second on the tute request list if you decide! It's beautiful and I love it.

Oh my.... And I even hesitated over wheter or not I should post it at all, cause it seemes like such a dull project. I'm all touched and fuzzy inside now <3 Might have to think about donig a tute...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Audania1
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Christmas crafting all year round...

Magic always comes with a price

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012 06:45:48 PM »

I love this! It's beautful and functional and I would totally make one if there was a tute....  Wink. Even if there is not, I may have to find a similar "pattern" and get to it. I would use the crap outa this thing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Harvey

Here's to inappropriate!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012 07:47:31 PM »

I would love to make this as part of a steampunk inventors outfit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lelyonna
Tutorial Contributor

Regnflickan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012 02:35:16 AM »

I would love to make this as part of a steampunk inventors outfit.

Ahh steampunk <3 that's a really good idea! I hadn't thought of that, but thi'd go rgreat with some of my steampunk-ish style if I were to play a mad inventor or something ^^ thanks for the idea!

I'm getting all toiched by you guys... I might just have to get it now and make a tute....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Savory Bread Pudding
How to Boil Macaroni and Make Roux
Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
Holiday Party Appetizers - Boursin Bruschetta
Holiday Party Appetizers - Baked Dill Delight
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...