A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
536 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 148
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HP Craftalong ~Winter Semester 2012~ *CLOSED*  (Read 179469 times)
Tags for this thread: alchemy , harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ant Bee
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Expecto Procrastinatum!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1340 on: February 24, 2013 08:27:00 AM »

@FreakieGeekie: Snape is probably catching up on lost time now that he's dressed- he's been glaring at you to get him covered so it stands to reason.  That, or I suspect the Slytherin Elf on the shelf Alton(?) is behind this.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Harry witnessed Professor McGonagall walking right past Peeves who was determinedly loosening a crystal chandelier and could have sworn he heard her tell the poltergeist out of the corner of her mouth 'It unscrews the other way.
― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
the_essence
« Reply #1341 on: February 24, 2013 08:55:08 AM »

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Bertie Bott's Beans Challenge - Green
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Leafy Greens!
Project Page Link (if available): --

Brief Description: For this Bertie Bott's Challenge I have cooked up one of the greenest recipes I know! I made 'saag' which is an Indian dish, and a favorite of mine. It is a great way to get your leafy greens in a non-salad form. I tried making my mom's recipe for the first time, and while it wasn't quiteee as good as her's, it still came out well! You can pair it with some flatbread (naan, roti/chapati) or rice for a meal Smiley Guaranteed to make you feel good eating it because it's so good for you!

The dish is traditionally made with Mustard Greens but I used Kale (just because I had a lot on hand) so feel free to experiment with what leafy green you are using.

Recipe

Ingredients:
- Kale or Mustard Greens
- Spinach
- Cooking oil
- 1-2 cloves fresh garlic
- tomato paste or fresh tomatoes
- spice mix (Indian spice packets by MTR/garam masala) or a blend of your own spices (cumin powder, turmeric, black pepper, coriander powder)
- dollop of sour cream (optional)
- chili powder (optional/to taste)

Instructions:
1. Boil a small amount of water in a pot, enough to cook your greens, but not too much that you have to dispose of water (maybe around a half an inch? an inch? depending on how many greens you are cooking)
2. Add your spinach and kale/mustard greens to pot and cook until wilted. You can try a 2:1 kale to spinach ratio, or to make the dish more silky try a 1:1 ratio
3. Let greens cool, blend greens (and water in pot) into a smooth paste and set aside
4. Heat some oil on low (I usually use EVOO or Vegetable oil) in the pot, and add in finely chopped garlic once hot (usually 1-2 cloves depending on how much you are cooking and how garilc-y you like your food)
5. Once garlic is browned add in a scoop or two of tomato paste, fresh or store-bought, and spice mix to taste, probably anywhere from half a teaspoon to a teaspoon,* start conservatively and add more as necessary
6. Cook a little, letting tomato paste absorb the flavors
7. Add greens paste to the pot and add a spoon of sour cream if desired (to make it a bit more creamy)
8. Stir until everything is mixed well and add salt and chili powder to taste
9. Serve hot with flatbread or rice

*I used MDH's Kitchen King but you can find plenty of spice mix options at Indian grocery stores, and also at most big chains now, Giant, etc, you can also experiment with creating your own spice blend from some spices I listed in the ingredients

___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ___________

OWL progress pics (finally!)

I sent this dalek amigurumi to lylmousy in the recent Geek Swap.
I'm really happy with how it came out!
Project page: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=420788.0

« Last Edit: February 24, 2013 09:59:30 AM by the_essence » THIS ROCKS   Logged

the_essence
« Reply #1342 on: February 24, 2013 09:45:06 AM »

Congratulations indigo_roses! You have found this button pinned to your quidditch robes...

___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ___________________ ___________________ _____________

Okay I missed a ton, so I won't be completely caught up, but better than being completely behind! These craftalongs always churn out such cool stuff Smiley

@FreakieGeekie: I can't wait to see your finished Snape!  Cheesy

@sammylouise: Lovely ATC and nice use of the  mason jar! I love quick little projects, they make me feel so productive! XD

@pinkleo: as a former marching band member myself, waiting for judging to be done can be such a marathon! But congrats to you and your son!  Grin And your V-day jewelry set is stunninggg

@ErinAquaheart: Those earrings are too cute! And I cannot waittt to see your finished floor! All the progress pics have looked so fabulous

@jenleahlynn: I'm sorry things are not coming out as planned, for what it's worth I think your portrait looks lovely! But I hope your new plan works and that the results are exactly what you want! That pie sounds so yummmmyy O.O now I want reeses cups...

@Moonflame: yay can't wait to see the finished product! Sending you good crafting wishes!

@tiamatfire: those sushi are SO cute! Did you use a pattern?

@pottermouth: Thanks for the veggie meatball recipe! I may have to try them Smiley And your quilt looks so awesomee!

@PenguinSoup: so jealous of your sock-making ability Smiley They look so toasty I'm sure your mom will love them! And YUM for the jumbo shells!

@indigo_roses: yay almost done!  Grin

@jennieingram: I can't waittt to see your Alchemy project! I have been trying to guess at what you are doing with the elements  Cheesy And your afghan is off to a great start, those colors look beautiful together!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1343 on: February 24, 2013 03:25:29 PM »

Class: Charms
House: Gryffindor
Project Name: Jewelry Etching & Patina

Brief Description: I reported a few weeks ago that I had found a Vintaj BigKick Machine on clearance at Michael's.  Since then I've been collecting stamping blanks, etching folders, and patina paints to go with them.  I bought some supplies here in town, using lots of coupons, and ordered a lot of stuff online from various discount places.  But once I had assembled lots of things, I didn't know where to begin.  I definitely felt Confunded.  So yesterday I carved out some time to play with my new toys.  I spent much longer than I thought I would on it, and learned some good things and some bad things.  First off, this is way too much fun.  Second, the supplies are darned expensive, even on sale/clearance.  Third, I need a few more items in order to be able to actually turn any of the things I've made into actual jewelry.  Those little findings are so specific, and create that Vintaj look, that I can't seem to really use alternates from my stash.  So for now, here are my favorites from yesterday's creations.  I wish it had been brighter outside.  The patterns actually really shine where I sanded and buffed them, either in silver or brass.
Project Picture:

Class: Transfiguration
Project Name: Owl Necklace

Brief Description: While I was trying out the patina paints yesterday, I decided to test them out on a non-Vintaj piece of metal.  I dug through my stash till I found this lovely owl pendant.  After painting, I roughed it up a bit with a sanding block, so some of the silver would show through.  I really like the effect it gives at the top, where it looks like feathers.  And since this little guy needs a home, I'm offering it up to the first person who asks for it.  
Project Picture:

Challenge: Horcrux Hunt - Harry Potter
Project Name: Horcrux Stitch Markers

Brief Description: It feels awkward to say that I hunted down and "killed" this Horcrux, because it's Harry Potter.  I don't want to kill Harry Potter.  It feels wrong.  But, the Horcrux needed to go, so I did what I had to do.  For this item, I created Lord Voldemorte's Horcruxes, in stitch marker form.  I want to say, "Aren't they cute?"  But Horcruxes should never be cute.
Project Picture:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong - Spring Semester

It does not due to dwell on lists and forget to craft.
FreakieGeekie

Queen of Quirky, lover of all things cute and creepy

Proudly lets her freak flag fly

« Reply #1344 on: February 24, 2013 04:15:42 PM »

I'm panicking because Snape wasn't in either of my fabric boxes nor was he in my yarn box. I hope I didn't throw him away!  Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ant Bee

Expecto Procrastinatum!

« Reply #1345 on: February 24, 2013 05:00:43 PM »

@Freakie: No, I refuse to believe that he may have been thrown away. He is simply off campus doing his double agent work.  Go slowly through the room. Calmly look in weird places you don't think he would ever be- like behind the cabinet and under tables, chairs, beds and other furniture.  Go slowly and hopefully he will apparate soon. I find when I rush around looking for something that when I actually find it I realize I went passed it several times before it registered.

I'm sending "Find it, find it!" thoughts your way!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Harry witnessed Professor McGonagall walking right past Peeves who was determinedly loosening a crystal chandelier and could have sworn he heard her tell the poltergeist out of the corner of her mouth 'It unscrews the other way.
― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
the_essence
« Reply #1346 on: February 24, 2013 06:05:19 PM »

Jennie those jewelry etchings are so gorgeous. I especially love the moon and butterfly one.
I also adore your owl pendant, if it doesn't have a home yet it, it is more than welcome to live with me ahahaha  Grin

Eep I hope you find Snape soon FreakiGeekie!! You must have already tried Accio as well...
Yeah maybe forget about him for tonight and then perhaps you'll run across him when you don't expect to tomorrow!
*crosses fingers*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tiamatfire
« Reply #1347 on: February 24, 2013 06:56:16 PM »

Those might just be the best stitch markers I've ever seen.  Like ever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I do love knitting patterns!" - Albus Dumbledore

Harry Potter Craftalong: Spring Semester!
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1348 on: February 24, 2013 07:21:08 PM »

@the-essence, the Owl necklace is yours! Just PM me your address.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong - Spring Semester

It does not due to dwell on lists and forget to craft.
Mamaneedles
)O(

Homeschooling explains a lot of my crafts!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1349 on: February 24, 2013 07:39:03 PM »

~*COMPLETED OWL*~
OWL Subject & Option: Muggle Studies
Project Name: Disney Pixar's Brave Costume
Brief Description: After trying to get my sewing machine to work, and then trying to buy one with much disapointment, I decided that the first version of Merida's dress would do, and I'll finish up the guy-dress when I get the chance. I finally decided to paint a simple wooden right with cooper paint for the buckles. Mariann wears only the underdress because the overdress was falling apart... I'm really itching to finish the second dress which looks much better and movie-like. But I think I did the best I could with my little means and the kids LOVE to dress up and play in their costume so my goal is acheived! I really love the wig though. And we had a wooden bow, 2 of them even, but they got broken quite easily....

Project Picture:

Challenge: Bertie Beans GRASS
Project Name: Panties and Dread hat for my pregnant doll
Project Link: http://demilunes.co/ma-poupee-enceinte/
Desc.: I had to knit or crochet all my doll clothing so I went with some green items to get this challenge's badge Smiley The baby also got a green blanket.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2013 07:40:17 PM by MamanTattoo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Previously known as MamanTattoo.
My Blog!
I made a chidlren's book about homebirth!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 148 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Samantha Bee Talks About I Know I Am But What Are You
Shannon Rouss Reveals Her Favorite Words
Editor Emily Meehan Reveals How the Hush, Hush Manuscript Came to Life
Lisa Tucker Talks About The Promised World
Mostly Good Girls Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...