A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,689
Currently Running With Scissors:
764 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 148
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HP Craftalong ~Winter Semester 2012~ *CLOSED*  (Read 181629 times)
Tags for this thread: alchemy , harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

patty_o_furniture

May the force be ever in your favor, Mr. Potter.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #930 on: January 25, 2013 10:06:31 AM »

NEWT:  Been working every day on it, getting the painted details on it.  It's incredible how much time I spend on paintings.  I never really thought about it before, but I've went through three books on tape in one week.  Once you see the finished project you'll be like, "that's it? For all the time you spent on it?"  LOL.  I am way too picky on colors and details I guess.  I am also wondering if my girl saw it yesterday.  She didn't look like she saw it, but it was on an open box of something she grabbed and she's snoopy.  She may just think it's for a swap, so we'll see in a week.  One week left!  I'm sure I'll finish on time, now to just put more and more details into the finished project.

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Ancient Runes
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name: Nyla's Boiled Drop Cookies
Project Page Link (if available):
Brief Description: I was stumped on who or what to commemorate, but one day while going through an old box of books I came across an old journal of my mothers.  Inside was a bunch of stories she tried to write down before she passed and one of the prompts was "My favorite recipe of my mother's" and she filled it out that she loved my grandmothers whole wheat pancakes and these cookies.  I remember her making these lots of times growing up.  Thought I should definitely make them to commemorate my lovely mom!
Project Picture:

from her book

Recipe if you can't read it well:
Boiled Drop Cookies
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup cocoa
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups minute oats
1 cup nuts (optional)

Bring first six ingredients to a boil for exactly two minutes.  Add oats and nuts.  Mix thoroughly.  Drop from teaspoon onto wax paper or non-stick cookie sheet.  Let cool, then eat.

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Bertie Botts Earwax Challenge
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name: Litsea Cubeba Lotion Bars
Project Page Link (if available): http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=419502.0
Brief Description: Troll ear wax apparently is very well used in bath and beauty supplies in the wizarding world, so I decided to make up some lotion bars with it.  They turned out lovely, just make sure you use plenty of fragrance to cover the smell!  I used calendula flower petals infused into oils as well as bergamont and litsea cubeba to give it a citrusy invigorating scent. 
Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #931 on: January 25, 2013 11:33:28 AM »

Maybe I'll sneak some work on my NEWT in today if it's slow at work. I would like to use a flannel sheet for my backing as well. I think I read it somewhere as one of the recommended backing materials. But I've never successfully finished a quilt before so what do I know? Any experts in the house?

Flannel is GREAT for quilt backings!  Extra warm and snuggly, but also a breathable natural fiber so you won't get sweaty under it.  Just make sure to wash and dry it first.  And I mean really dry it, on nice high heat.  You want it to shrink completely before you stitch it to your quilt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong - Spring Semester

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
PenguinSoup
Tutorial Contributor

Reject only your ignorance, and you may survive.

« Reply #932 on: January 25, 2013 11:34:58 AM »

NEWT Progress: There actually IS progress! This is amazing! I've had to ask my teacher two questions already but they've been solved and I can continue today. It's a sweater knitted flat from the bottom up so it's super easy. I'm just about to start the waist decreases but I'm not going to show you a picture yet. I know that waist decreases sound impressive and that I must be a way through my sweater, but nope. Right now I only have 1.5" of 1x1 ribbing and 4 rows of cabling so you can't really tell what's going on yet. Right now, it's kind of a green line with some funky mess going on at the top. Hopefully next week I'll be further. Wouldn't it be amazing if I could finish this before the semester is over? I doubt it, but I was always hope Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #933 on: January 25, 2013 11:38:22 AM »

NEWT Progress:  Very little.  Sad  Last weekend I got to row 22, and I'm on row 24 now.  Did actually get about an hour in on it yesterday, but I was visiting with a friend who is about to move away while doing it, so I spent more time chatting and less time crocheting.  Also, Monday night my Etsy exploded and I ended up taking 14 pre-orders for TARDIS necklaces that I now have to put together tonight & tomorrow morning.  I'm hoping to return to my NEWT Saturday night for a little while, and maybe for a few hours Sunday.  Cross your fingers for me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FiberAlchemist

Wit Beyond Measure

View Profile WWW
« Reply #934 on: January 25, 2013 11:47:59 AM »

OWL Progress - I thought I was making great progress as I had completed the "Vortex Lace" section of the shawl and was on row 5 of 41 of the TARDIS section; but then I remembered why I never knit from a chart.  I always read them wrong and this was no exception.  When my cables stopped lining up and started looking crazy I headed to the internet to make sure their were no corrections to the pattern that I had missed.  No I just knitted the darn thing wrong... the entire thing...   Cry(there really is not an emoticon to reflect the sadness and nausea I am feeling at the moment.)  I'm now trying to decide if I want to frog the entire thing and start over (which would produce the best end results) or try to fix what I have and continue on.  /cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eiseldora
« Reply #935 on: January 25, 2013 11:48:17 AM »

Owl Progress

I took my machine out of its box last weekend and started to finish my quilt.

The machine has some quilt stitches. I'm using a walking foot and sewing the piece together.

I spent most of the weekend on it, and I'll probably spend most of this weekend too.

Close up of the quilting stitch from the bottom.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FreakieGeekie

Queen of Quirky, lover of all things cute and creepy

Proudly lets her freak flag fly

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #936 on: January 25, 2013 01:14:58 PM »

Challenge: January Detention
House: Slytherin
Project Name: Eeyore hoopla
Brief Description: This little fellow was a WIP for several weeks because I had lost him. One of my coworkers is Muggle born and grew up with the Muggle stories of "Winnie the Pooh". Having a Muggle born mother, I also grew up with Pooh and understand the appeal of the characters. She adores the donkey named Eeyore so I decided to embroider him for her birthday. I even charmed it so that Eeyore will somersault when she needs a smile.

I didn't fill in the entire background so that it would look like a child's coloring book page to add to its whimsy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mamaneedles
)O(

Homeschooling explains a lot of my crafts!

« Reply #937 on: January 25, 2013 02:47:59 PM »

It's perfect, Freakie! Cheesy

Luna looks so good in her valentine hat!

The lotions bars looks good enough to eat... I first thought in was white chocolate. Mind you, I'm craving chocolate right now!

Sorry I'm not updating on everyone. You all seems to advance well in your advanced studies.... I'm stuck. I'll try to get my machine out and fix it.

Challenge: Ear Wax Beans
House: Gryffindor
Project name: Every Flavor Beans Hat
Project description: With the remaining of my blue-yellow-green handspun yarn, a little skein of red-yellow-orange that I spun, and the leftover of yellow yarn from the Owlet sweater, I made a very funky hat Smiley It's so over-the-top crazy with colors, the Every Flavor Beans name came to my head. It has ear flap to rightly cover ears and long l-cord to keep it in place. Sorry, the real baby isn't there yet to model so I asked Albus.

Class: DADA
House: GRYFFINDOR
Project name: Kappas Booties
Project Link:http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Andreann/crocodile-stitch-booties-baby-sizes
Description: I bought this lovely blue yarn to make a hat for my guy. He didn't like it! So I found a plan B pattern that, honestly, love way much than a simple hat. I had a hard time at first with the new stitches I had to learn (fphdc, bphdc and the crocodile stitch) but it's very pretty in the end! So for this challenge I went with blue scales, reminding me of Kappas.

Sorry for the picture overload!!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013 02:57:27 PM by MamanTattoo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Previously known as MamanTattoo.
My Blog!
I made a chidlren's book about homebirth!!
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #938 on: January 25, 2013 04:01:50 PM »

Those booties are adorable!  I love the star buttons.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

indigo_roses
« Reply #939 on: January 25, 2013 04:49:04 PM »

FiberAlchemist, that stinks about your shawl! I hope it works out okay for you. :/

patty, I can't wait to see the finished project! Then I shall use my Accio! charm and move it magically to my pinterest. Roll Eyes

Freakie, I love the hoop! I was a big Pooh fan when I was younger. My favorite character was Tigger.

Maman, those booties are great! I love that pattern, and have been waiting for someone I know (who isn't a parent at daycare) to tell me that they're pregnant so I can make some! I might just have to whip some up anyway and stash them away for future use. Tongue

My OWL is progressing along nicely. I'm currently working on square #29. I'm glad that I'm switching back and forth between two different types of square (solid and basic granny) because while they're both mindless, I would definitely lose my interest if I did the exact same square x number of times in a row.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
50 in 2013 18/50

Taking a break from swapping to focus on crafting for myself, friends, and charity
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 148 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to make Meatloaf
How to make Southern Fried Chicken
How to make Creole Gumbo
How to make Pizza
How to make Egg Rolls
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...