A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 299,165
Currently Running With Scissors:
564 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 148
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HP Craftalong ~Winter Semester 2012~ *CLOSED*  (Read 204528 times)
Tags for this thread: alchemy , harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tiamatfire
« Reply #750 on: January 15, 2013 08:30:02 AM »

Thanks for the recipe Jennie!
On that note, I've been wanting to update a post I made last semester, and guess now's a good time to! 

I made toothpaste http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=413509.msg4921053#msg4921053  that was way too intensely salty.  I ended up forcing myself to use it for about a week and couldn't stand to use it after that.  We'll I finally found all the ingredients for another recipe, a tooth powder instead http://frugallysustainable.com/2012/03/the-benefits-of-brushing-with-tooth-powder-and-a-make-your-own-recipe/ and have been using it.  I like it.  I made it peppermint with essential oils and peppermint leaf.  I still have to really think about using it over the toothpaste tube my DH uses, but it's an acceptable alternative for me.

As a dentist's daughter, I just wanted to let you know it's still a really good idea to use a fluoridated toothpaste at least once a week, unless your water is fluoridated to protect your teeth and enamel! Cheesy  Especially because tooth powders are a bit more abrasive.  I'd hate for you to get cavities!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I do love knitting patterns!" - Albus Dumbledore

Harry Potter Craftalong: Spring Semester!
PenguinSoup
Tutorial Contributor

Reject only your ignorance, and you may survive.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #751 on: January 15, 2013 09:10:32 AM »

Recipe Challenge:
House: Ravenclaw
Recipe: Cinnamon Bun Pancakes!!!

Ingredients:
CINNAMON FILLING:
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, just melted (not boiling)
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon

CREAM CHEESE GLAZE:
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
2-ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

PANCAKES:
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil

Directions:
Prepare the cinnamon filling: In a medium bowl, stir together the butter, brown sugar and cinnamon. Scoop the filling into a quart-sized heavy zip baggie and set it aside (see *Tips below).

Prepare the glaze: In a small pan, heat the butter over low heat until melted. Turn off the heat and whisk in the cream cheese until it is almost smooth. Sift the powdered sugar into the pan, stir and add in vanilla extract. Set the pan aside while you make the pancakes.

Prepare the pancake batter: In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk in the milk, egg and oil, just until the batter is moistened (a few small lumps are fine).

Cook the pancakes: Heat a large, nonstick skillet over medium-heat and spray with nonstick spray. Use an ice cream scoop (or 1/3 cup measuring cup) to add the batter to the pan. Use the bottom of the scoop or cup to spread the batter into a circle (about 4-inches in diameter). Reduce the heat to medium low. Snip the corner of your baggie of cinnamon filling and squeeze the filling into the open corner. When your pancake begins to form bubbles, add the filling. Starting at the center of the pancake, squeeze the filling on top of the pancake batter in a swirl (just as you see in a regular cinnamon roll). Cook the pancake 2 to 3 minutes, or until the bubbles begin popping on top of the pancake and it's golden brown on the bottom. Slide a thin, wide metal spatula underneath the pancake and gently but quickly flip it over. Cook an additional 2 to 3 minutes, until the other side is golden as well. When you flip the pancake onto a plate, you will see that the cinnamon filling has created a crater-swirl of cinnamon. Wipe out the pan with a paper towel, and repeat with the remaining pancake batter and cinnamon filling. Re-warm the glaze briefly, if needed. Serve pancakes topped with a drizzle of glaze.

And here's a helpful image for you:

These are SO good!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #752 on: January 15, 2013 09:15:41 AM »

PenguinSoup - Those look delicious!   Cheesy

And on that note.... 
Reminder that today is the last day of the Holiday Recipe Challenge!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Facebook | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #753 on: January 15, 2013 09:59:16 AM »

P.S.  MySpiceSage.com also has some Gluten Free flour alternatives for anyone who might be living Gluten Free.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Facebook | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
pinkleo
Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

« Reply #754 on: January 15, 2013 11:03:54 AM »

P.S.  MySpiceSage.com also has some Gluten Free flour alternatives for anyone who might be living Gluten Free.  Cheesy
Kiss THANK YOU! Kiss 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mamaneedles
)O(

Homeschooling explains a lot of my crafts!

« Reply #755 on: January 15, 2013 11:32:35 AM »

Thanks for the recipe Jennie!
On that note, I've been wanting to update a post I made last semester, and guess now's a good time to! 

I made toothpaste http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=413509.msg4921053#msg4921053  that was way too intensely salty.  I ended up forcing myself to use it for about a week and couldn't stand to use it after that.  We'll I finally found all the ingredients for another recipe, a tooth powder instead http://frugallysustainable.com/2012/03/the-benefits-of-brushing-with-tooth-powder-and-a-make-your-own-recipe/ and have been using it.  I like it.  I made it peppermint with essential oils and peppermint leaf.  I still have to really think about using it over the toothpaste tube my DH uses, but it's an acceptable alternative for me.

As a dentist's daughter, I just wanted to let you know it's still a really good idea to use a fluoridated toothpaste at least once a week, unless your water is fluoridated to protect your teeth and enamel! Cheesy  Especially because tooth powders are a bit more abrasive.  I'd hate for you to get cavities!

Well, the very first reason I make my own toothpaste too is to control what's in it, and it also means NO fluor. If I'd live in a city that would fluorate the water I'd move. But that's a total other debate, and I encourage anyone interested to read about what's in commercial toothpaste and choose for themselve!!

On another note, those Cinnamon Rolls pancakes looks delicious!!! I was far from hungry but now I am!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Previously known as MamanTattoo.
My Blog!
I made a chidlren's book about homebirth!!
sakuracat23

Don't make me get the flying Monkeys!!!

View Profile
« Reply #756 on: January 15, 2013 12:25:55 PM »

penguinsoup- yumm those pancakes look wonderful!
 I have some more work to turn in!

Class/Challenge/House Pride:Gryffindor January extra credit!
House:Gryffindor!
Project Name:Lunas lion hat
Project Page Link (if available):Link to spikefans post.
Brief Description: Im lucky to have two amigirumis from Spikefan. A Hermione and Luna so when I saw my houses extra credit was to make something with a lion I thought immediatly of Lunas lion hat but I wasnt really in the mood to make a large Hat for myself so...I got the Idea to make some accsessorys for the dolls Spikefan made! I used Ana paula rimolis pattern for a baby lion as the head and sewed it to a beanie. The result looks absolutly cute and obnoxoius.lol. Then I desided to make house scarfs and robes for the both of them. Lunas is still in progress so shes wearing Hermiones but I couldnt wait to show it off....Keep in mind I only made the Lion hat, robe and scarf.and I'll be shareing this post with Spikefan.

Class/Challenge/House Pride:Holiday recipe challenge
House:Gryffindor!
Project Name:Orange dream cookies, Macaroons and peanut butter kiss cookies
Project Page Link:orange dreams http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Orange-Dreams
Brief Description:My mom makes a ton of cookies and candies every christmas to take to work (3 different places), chiropractors office and family functions. This year she had me make 3 batches of cookies. Usually Im all over the kiss cookies but I have to say the orange dream were scrumptious! I couldnt find links to the kiss cookie recipe, mom uses the one from the bisquick book that shes had for ages...and im not sure where she found the maccaroon recipe last yr but it is supposed to have mini chocolate chips in it but not everyone liked the chips so she had me leave them out (frankly i missed the chocolate) lol

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Supermutts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #757 on: January 15, 2013 01:37:50 PM »

PenguinSoup Those look like the most amazing pancakes Ive ever scene! Thanks for sharing Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty." -Captain Mal
Thorfinnworkshop
« Reply #758 on: January 15, 2013 03:09:43 PM »

That luna lion hat is awsome! Cheesy

And those pancakes are making me hungry!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

[centre]Get beautiful hand made journals, sketch books and magical enameled jewellery
@ Thorfinn Workshop[centre]
Thorfinnworkshop
« Reply #759 on: January 15, 2013 04:00:26 PM »

I love the soup jars! Might have to make some myself Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

[centre]Get beautiful hand made journals, sketch books and magical enameled jewellery
@ Thorfinn Workshop[centre]
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 148 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ham Salad and Sandwich Recipe
Coney Island Barbecued Hot Dogs Recipe
Homemade Egg McMuffin Recipe
Country Fried Potatoes with Onions Recipe
Fried Green Tomatoes Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...