A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,091
Currently Running With Scissors:
621 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 148
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HP Craftalong ~Winter Semester 2012~ *CLOSED*  (Read 167629 times)
Tags for this thread: alchemy , harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ErinAquaheart
« Reply #510 on: December 30, 2012 08:34:42 AM »

Class: Arithmancy
House: Slytherin
Project Name: Trio of Koi
Project Description: A set of three different koi fish all of similar design. I love fish and three is such a good number. So it wasn't hard for me to want to make these lovelies. (I am actually practicing for a larger project but more about that later)

THIS ROCKS   Logged
ErinAquaheart
« Reply #511 on: December 30, 2012 09:15:03 AM »

Okay...here I go. I recently was approached by a woman in my town to paint her studio floor. She wanted koi fish but really didn't know how she wanted them to look or how she wanted to cover her floor. It occurred to me that this is the perfect opportunity to.......

PROPOSE AN OWL!!!!!!

Owl Subject: Care of Magical Creatures: Option 1
House: Slytherin
Project Name: A Giant Koi Pond
Project Description: Well, I have always found koi fish to be particularly mystical. They seem other-worldly, as if they can somehow shift their existence between the world we can see and another plane of being. When I decided to undertake this project I really wanted to show how I felt about these aquatic wonders. So I have already started some sketches and paintings!!  Tongue Hope that isn't cheating.... Undecided

I will be using chalk for laying out my design; patio and concrete craft paint for the actual fish; and finally a concrete sealer to make it all shiny and water like.

The room is actually very large. Something like 20 x 25! So my plan of action is this...
1: Sketch out my koi design and do a color study.
2: use chalk to place all the fish, lily pads, and (upon request) lotus blossoms. (Don't want to start painting only to find I don't like the layout)
3: Paint some test fish. Using the different techniques I want to use on canvas board with a dark brown background so that I can show my client what her fish will eventually look like on the concrete. (Giving her one last chance to back out before committing the koi to the floor)
4: Paint the design in chunks. Starting by laying down a white undercoat so that the fish won't disappear into the coffee brown stained concrete floor. And then placing the color on top. Using two different techniques; one full paint and the other more skeletal and washed out, I hope to show depth and a sense of the mystical nature of the koi.
5: Seal the koi, plants, and ripples under a double coat of concrete sealer. Finishing the project.

I think that this project will take me about 4 weeks to actually complete. I have already been working on it for 2 weeks and have not gotten to the actual painting yet.
*I will post some progress pics very soon...and my arithmancy project is part of step 3.*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WhistleFish
« Reply #512 on: December 30, 2012 10:48:33 AM »

@MommaAquaheart: Love the mini-hoops. That sequin one looks like it would take forever!

@FreakieGeekie: Those earmuffs are so neat! The crochet on them fits perfectly.

@Foxy Sam:
Welcome! And it looks like you're already an expert at executing the shrinking spell. Everything you've made is so tiny! (It would maybe drive me insane to crochet a dragon that small. I've learned that just because you crochet something small doesn't always mean it will take 15 minutes like you think it will.)

@ErinAquaheart: Beautiful snowman ornament, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE the bird hoopla. So cute! And the Koi project -- sounds like such undertaking, but you can do it! It would make me nervous to be paid to do something so big and permanent. What a good idea for an OWL.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Audania1
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Christmas crafting all year round...

Magic always comes with a price

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #513 on: December 30, 2012 12:03:15 PM »

Ok, so Ive done it again. I took a break.  We were out of town, and then out of town again, and then I had to cram a couple of last Christmas projects that I finished on Christmas Eve of all times! I tell myself every year that Im never going to do that again and, low and behold! It happens again. Go figure.
There is currently too much awesomeness in the thread over the last two weeks to comment on, but I am in love with everything. I love Pinkleos OWL proposal, the snow flakes, the seasick crocodile and especially all of the koi! That floor painting sounds amazing!
I will be posting a crap-ton of projects in a few days, now that all of the Christmas craziness is over. I do have a bit more craziness coming up my daughter is turning 6!! Weird! When did that happen!? And I am making all of the goodie bag items, so I am thrilled to post those when I finish. Great fun!
Anywho, Im praying you all have a very fantastic and SAFE New Years!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiakelA

Summer is finally here again!

Wit beyond measure...

« Reply #514 on: December 30, 2012 02:42:22 PM »

The koi paintings are beautiful! I can't wait to see the completed project. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiakelA

Summer is finally here again!

Wit beyond measure...

« Reply #515 on: December 30, 2012 02:52:44 PM »

Class/Challenge: Potions
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Shrinking Solution
I tried out something I saw on pinterest - use a keyring as an embroidery hoop. Fun, but I had 2 problems. First, it was hard to keep the fabric from moving around, so my circles are kind of wonky. Second, I have no idea how to finish the back without it being waaay to thick! Any ideas let me know. Smiley

Class/Challenge: Ravenclaw Offense and Arthimancy
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: So many babies!!
I have 3 new babies in the family, June, A.J. and Audrey. So I made them personalized baby blankies for Christmas. I forgot to take a picture of Audrey's blanket before I gave it to her. Sad I've asked my uncle to send me a photo and I will update with that picture as soon as I get it. (It's in Tiffany blue with black thread because she's named for Audrey Hepburn! You can imagine the cuteness!)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #516 on: December 30, 2012 03:36:59 PM »

So happy to see students returning after the holiday break.  Students who remained in the castle were quite busy whilst you were away, but never fear, still plenty of time to dive into the Winter Semester! Grin

Yesterday got stuck in a Six Flags line for over 2 hours...not even for a ride, but rather to get pics taken for Season Pass.  Then to top it off, unintentional dined on food with surprise gluten so spent the night in pain Tongue

But today, just cuddling up under my jennie ghan, watching football with my hubby, and working on my OWL....I'm feeling good charity crafting and destashing.  I had to take an OWL break to walk the castle halls to see what everyone is up to....

@indigo_roses: Fantastic Geminio and Sock Spellwork!  My toes are cold at the mo and are craving cozy socks such as these.

@jillybeans: Way to go on finishing your OWL.  I love the hoodie!  Your GoT badges look amazing!  Be back in a bit with your OWL certificate.

@Ant Bee: I have loved all your Xmas crafting and Potter-Presents!  These boxes were worthy to carry such crafty treasures.  Sending you luck for your OWL!  You shall conquer and overcome!

@SiakelA: Welcome Back! Grin  Such a tiny hoopla!  And adore the personalized blankies.

@Fiberalchemist: Feel better soon!

@ErinAquaHeart: Fab Crest Ornaments!  And a fabulous addition to the Aquaheart clan Sequin Spectacular. Grin  I had a surprising White Christmas as well....rare in Texas indeed!  Lovely Avis Spell hoopla!  I love the background fabric.  Your koi are amazing! Shocked  And ~*OWL Approved*~.  I'm sending you a case of Paulopabita's Fishy Green Ale so you can truly dive into your OWL muses.

Um, Professor?  I don't have my Defense Against the Dark Arts homework.  My husband ate it....  I'll have to hand it in late.  Sad
Cheesy  Silly hubby!

@TechnicolorAquahearts: Fab First Hoopla!

@MommaAquaheart: YAY for posting your first HPC projects!  I adore your hoopla, and your Sequin Santa is fantastic!  And as a fellow housemate...ROAR, ROAR GRYFFINDOR! Cool

@FreakieGeekie: Clever repurpose and fab earmuffs!

@Foxy Sam: You most definitely mastered your Shrinking Potions!  And YAY for your first assignment completed!  Always happy to have a fellow crocheter in the Common Room...ROAR GRYFFINDOR! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

« Reply #517 on: December 30, 2012 03:51:47 PM »

~*Congratulations jillybeans*~
The OWL Examiners are proud to present you with
your Study of Ancient Runes OWL Certificate

Well done on completing your Study of Ancient Runes OWL! 
You are now free to further your Advanced Studies by proposing another OWL or a NEWT.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #518 on: December 30, 2012 03:57:40 PM »

Note from the Deputy Headmistress....

The new Witch of the Week has been posted!  Be sure to check the Witch of the Week Board to find out who it is!!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong - Spring Semester

It does not due to dwell on lists and forget to craft.
pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

« Reply #519 on: December 30, 2012 04:00:09 PM »

Congratulations WotW!!!

Because many students have PMed me this question....

When naming this semester, I decided to use the first year of the Winter Semester to denote it.  This semester is named Winter Semester 2012; next Winter Semester shall be named Winter Semester 2013.  Hope this clears things up. Grin

....now back to my OWL, though I truly wanted to sneak in and play my kiddos Book of Spells game....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 148 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Street Chic: Rock Chicks
Nicole Richie Perfects NYC Cool in Fringe, Fur, and Leather
See How Vanessa Hudgens Does Casual Polish at the DVF Loves Roxy Event
Dukes Of Melrose Fashion Picks For Last "Meal"
#MyModamobStyle: Featured Reader @NatyBaby
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...