A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
556 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 148
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HP Craftalong ~Winter Semester 2012~ *CLOSED*  (Read 180836 times)
Tags for this thread: alchemy , harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #380 on: December 17, 2012 07:47:38 PM »

ooooh, can I brag a minute?  My Dogweed and Deathcap from last semester made it into the quarterly featured projects!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=417999.0
Way to go pattyo! Grin

and always feel free to brag away Cool

Also congrats on winning the B&B Autumn or Winter Challenge with your Autumn Nails Grin

Congrats to jillybeans for being selected as a Craftster Featured Project for her Transfiguration aka Three Ho Birds! Grin
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012 08:01:06 PM by pinkleo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sakuracat23

Don't make me get the flying Monkeys!!!

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: December 17, 2012 08:33:02 PM »

Class/Challenge/House Pride:Gryffindor Quidditch Challenge
House:Gryffindor!
Project Name:snitch necklace
Brief Description:Its been really rainy today around the castle and Im not in the mood to do homework so I got on pinterest (did you know Hogwarts has wifi now...isnt that wicked! lol)theres a suprising amount of snitch related jewelry and I really wanted to make something...but after finding my silver wing charms and some copper findings I was bummed that all my gold stuff had disapeared (someone knocked over my trunk at the platform and my craft supples were all jumbled up inside glitter paint on my knickers and so forth. still trying to sort it out) except for some thin wire that was in bad shape...after tossing some ideas in my head i came up with wrapping the wire around a copper eye pin and making a spiral disc that makes the body of the snitch and letting it swing free in front of the o ring the wings are on. I really like the results its small and pretty and subtle. my cat seems to like it too as hes laying in my lap and trying to paw at it.
Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Melissaurus
« Reply #382 on: December 17, 2012 09:05:33 PM »

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Apparition
House: Gryffindor
Project Name: Futhark Runes set : aka my go-to when life seems oddly muddled
Project Page Link: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=418052.0
Brief Description: I've wanted my own set of runes for a few years now, but I've been waiting for the right material to speak to me. Something that important, you don't want to jump in to it without being SURE-sure, y'know? Well, the other week, I went for a hike in the snow, and there were these fantastic slate chips that sparkled and caught my eye. I KNEW they were going to be my runes.

Unlike traditional runes, where you're supposed to feel the carvings in the stones to determine which rune has the answer you seek, I feel the shapes in the rocks. It feels a lot more organic and natural to me, and I am really happy with how they turn out and how they work for me. They've been absolutely crystal-clear with their answers for me, and they're real good at fixing and answering things when life gets messy. Smiley

Project Picture:

See the sparklies?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

« Reply #383 on: December 18, 2012 06:48:26 AM »

Ah! I knew the weekend was a bad time to be away from Craftster! So much catching up to do!

Congrats patty_o_furniture and PenguinSoup!! Crafty Magic!!

Looks like I need to update some house points!

Love your runes, Melissaurus, and how you came across your rocks. The thought and care you took in selecting/creating them probably has something to do with why they speak to you so clearly! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TechnicolorAquahearts

Proud Slytherin in the HP Summer Craftalong!

« Reply #384 on: December 18, 2012 06:48:39 AM »

I finally have some more homework to turn in!

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Geminio
House:Slytherin
Project Name:Felt Owl Pin Trio
Brief Description: After drafting a pattern for a hand stitched owl pin for Transfiguration, I decided I wanted to see what other colors and patterns I could conjure up. So after getting creative with my wand waving I came up with some glittery colors, and some check and damask patterned owls. I repeated the pattern three more times.
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Alchemy
Project Name:Alchemy Inspiration and Meditation Card Set
Brief Description: After studying a little bit about alchemy for my OWL I am working on I realized that alchemy is not just the study of how to create gold, but it contains beautiful philosophies on how to maximize yourself as a person and get the best out of your existence. There are the physical processes of alchemy, but those same processes can be symbolic. They symbolize a process by which people create and go through a cycle of death and rebirth in order to constantly improve themselves. With that in mind I made a set of Artist's Trading Cards and a matching case to use as inspiration and meditation for my own alchemical transformation. On the pouch you will see I beaded a burst using grey for the blackening, white for the whitening, yellow for the yellowing, and red for the reddening. I used black glittery felt for the pouch because it reminded me of the universe. On the back, on the flap, I embroidered the alchemical symbols for earth, air, water, and fire. The cards inside are color studies for Earth, Air, Wind, and fire.
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride:The Study of Ancient Runes
Project Name:Sequined Elf Ornament
Brief Description: This project fits into the assignment for the study of ancient runes because it commemorates the Christmas of 2012 by being the product of a craft that my family and Made together. I made this elf ornament, ErinAquaheart made a snowman ornament (which I am sure you will see when she posts hers), and MommaAquaheart made a Santa ornament (she is still deciding if she wants to enroll in hogwarts) Making crafts together at Christmas is a tradition in my family and these projects have made some of our best memories. A family that crafts together laughs together!
Project Picture:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

etsy: www.lynnaquaheart.e tsy.com
Like me on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/AquaheartStudios
Follow Me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/LynnAquaheart
I have a blog about all things creative! http://lynnaquaheart.blogspot.com
Melissaurus
« Reply #385 on: December 18, 2012 08:06:12 AM »

Ahhh, so many good projects.

Anyone know of any good decorating spells? Or even good luck ones? My boyfriend and I are venturing up on the ladders and the roof today to put up our Christmas lights. If you don't hear from me for a few days, send help, because we're stranded on our roof, corner-gas style!

Abeeroad - I would have to agree. That's the wonderful thing about making things - the more love you put in, the more love you get out of them. Then again...that usually works for everything (save for cats, but...)

technicoloraquahear ts - I LOVE the alchemy cards and bag. The black sparkly felt was definitely a wise choice. It looks SHARP. Smiley And I love the owls and the elf, too. I have some sequined ornaments I made when I was littler - I had no idea what I was doing, and the sheer-awfulness of them makes them adorable. Now THOSE were confundus charms.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

noodle-bug

equal parts love and evil laughter

« Reply #386 on: December 18, 2012 06:31:07 PM »

Curlicue & T'aint
Announces Grand Opening of New Diagon Alley Store

So, I realised I'm not going to have time to craft any donations to Diagon Alley this term, so I nipped to the store today and picked up a couple of craft books. Thusly I offer one new copy each of:
 - Loom Knitting Socks (when I saw it I knew I had to get it in honour of all my christmas socks, and of course to enable our crafters to free those house elfs!)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Loom-Knitting-Socks-Beginners-No-Needle/dp/0312589980/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355883086&sr=8-1

- Handmade Bookbinding Techniques (since it seemed a very Potteresque craft)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Handmade-Bookbinding-Techniques-Josep-Cambras/dp/0713687525/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1355883198&sr=1-1

I picked paperbacks so I can post them anywhere within Europe Smiley

I will also hopefully be putting together a couple of parcels of supplies to offer, I'll assemble those after christmas

Now... those nice boys from the joke shop up the road have brought some food for the store opening party, would anyone like a custard cream?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 things in 2014 challenge!
I'm always up for swapping hexies or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
Audania1
Christmas crafting all year round...

Magic always comes with a price

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #387 on: December 18, 2012 09:47:21 PM »

So, I'm thinking that a day gone equals a page and a half of catching up to do and I had 6 pages to go through! I can't even comment on everything except to say that it all looks fantastic! I'm really keen on the elderberry syrup. Where did you find elderberries?!

I am also loving the stationary and the scarves! That cupcake is adorable!

In my OWL news, until today I was still plugging away at writing up all of those recipes. Then I was stupid and got my thumb caught in my sewing machine and bruised the bone so I won't be writing for a few days. That's just as well - I need to finish my youngest's night gown and a few cross stitch ornaments before wrapping everything. Shouldn't take long. I can only do the nightgown while she's asleep at night, so I'm hoping to be done tomorrow night or the night after. The ornaments are whenever during the day, so I'm really excited at how *early* I've gotten all of my Christmas stuff done...

I'm hoping to get a thing or two done for Diagon Alley within the few days after Christmas, so I'll chat more about it later.

and Aunt Bee, you crack me up.... still lol. I don't know anything about quilting. I did my first (and probably only, ahem) for when my niece was born. I made up the pattern, stitched it together and appliqued butterflies on top. Got it all put together, then when it came time to stipple it, my machine decided it didn't like the quilting foot that came with it. Can you say stitch in the ditch?  Anyway, at least I knew what colors she wanted (shabby-chic lilacs and sages). And that totally sucks about not getting done for Christmas. But that is what August birthdays are for, right?  Roll Eyes lol. Anyway, I am sure you will get it all settled long before then and good luck my friend!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TechnicolorAquahearts

Proud Slytherin in the HP Summer Craftalong!

« Reply #388 on: December 19, 2012 07:03:37 AM »

Last night ErinAquaheart, my mom and I got up to some extra curricular activities! We had a harry potter movie marathon crafting party and we made special snacks. I made butter beer, and butterscotch brooms. We also had Dragon Fire Dip, Hot and Spicy Dragon Eggs, Crone Claws, and gummy slugs. It was super fun! Now I will explain what all of that stuff is in muggle terms: Dragon Fire Dip: Sweet and Hot Jalapeno jelly served of cream cheese, Hot and Spicy Dragon Eggs: Spicy olives and Garlic cloves from the olive bar at the store, Crone Claws: Seasoned pita chips that we got at a local deli that looked like long sharp fingernails, As for the gummy slugs we were just lucky to find them at the store from the Wonka brand. The butter beer and butterscotch brooms, I have recipes for and here they are:
Butter Beer:
        Note: this is a hot verson of the drink.
1 liter of cream soda
1 small container of cool whip
1 cup of non dairy creamer powder
2 Table spoons of vanilla
1 Table spoon of rum extract or you could add real rum to taste if you wanted to make this a grown up butter beer.
1Table spoon or butter flavoring, (I used the wilton kind meant for icing)
1/4 cup butterscotch syrup
marshmallow cream
1/4 tsp salt

Combine everything accept for the marshmallow cream in a large sauce pan and heat until everything dissolves and forms a uniform texture. Once the mixture is to the temperature you are comfortable with for a hot drink, ladle into mugs, top with a dollop of marshmallow cream, a drizzle of butterscotch and a sprinkle of salt.

Butterscotch brooms:
1 bag of butterscotch chips
1 bag of crunchy chinese noodles
some table spoons of milk
Pretzel rods, or pocky

Melt butterscotch chips in a pan adding milk one table spoon at a time to aid in the melting (you only want as much milk as you need because you want them to harden, I probably ended up using 3 or four tablespoons, the less the better though) Once butterscotch chips are completely melted poor in crunchy chinese noodles a little at a time and stir until you have a good ratio of noodle to butterscotch (all the noodles generously covered without pools of extra butterscotch ) spoon out lumps of the covered noodles onto wax paper and insert your pretzel rod or pocky stick into the center, it will take some manipulating to get the stick to stand up. Once you have all of your brooms on the wax paper refrigerate for 1 hour to make sure they are set. There is an alternative to the butterscotch if you want a more winter holiday type treat and that is instead of butterscotch chips use white chocolate chips and add a tiny bit of peppermint flavoring, and use peppermint sticks for the broom stick and then you have peppermint brooms!

Class/Challenge/House Pride: house unity
Project Name: Home made wizarding treats for a movie marathon/crafting party
Brief Description: See recipes above, I believe this homework project fits the house unity challenge because everyone was welcome to the party and everyone was welcome to the treats. All the houses use brooms and drink butter beer if nothing else that is something they have in common. AND I am pleased to announce that my mom (MommaAquaheart) will be joining craftster and enrolling in hogwarts today!! As I said in a previous post, a family that crafts together laughs together. She has been so excited for us as we complete our projects and research our assignments, but has been to shy to join, so I finally convinced her! I am so excited to get her to try new things! She would like to be a Gryffindor.

Project Picture:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

etsy: www.lynnaquaheart.e tsy.com
Like me on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/AquaheartStudios
Follow Me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/LynnAquaheart
I have a blog about all things creative! http://lynnaquaheart.blogspot.com
MommaAquaheart

Proud Gryffindor in the HP craftalong!

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: December 19, 2012 07:18:55 AM »

Hello, I am MommaAquaheart. I am excited to join the craftster community and even more excited to be enrolling in hogwarts! I am just learning to be crafty, and my daughter and her girlfriend are teaching me! I am so proud to be a member of such a crafty family! I would like to be a Gryffindor which will make things interesting in our house because TechnicolorAquahear ts and ErinAquaheart are Slytherins  Tongue please note we all live in the same house, we all use the same computer, and we share a lot of supplies so our crafts and photos will look similar to one another.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 148 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Creamy Orange Pops
Harvest Pumpkin Scones
Buttery Shortbread Cookies
Easy Triple Layer Carrot Cake
Easy to Bake Banana Cupcakes With Lemon Frosting
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto
@Home This Weekend: Celebrate Your State

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...