A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 298,769
Currently Running With Scissors:
516 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 148
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HP Craftalong ~Winter Semester 2012~ *CLOSED*  (Read 201108 times)
Tags for this thread: alchemy , harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FiberAlchemist
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Wit Beyond Measure

View Profile WWW
« Reply #320 on: December 12, 2012 02:30:51 PM »

Lovely stenciling, FiberAlchemist!  What kind of paint did you use for the hunger games sweatshirt and how did you apply it?  I always have troubles with the metallics, because the one I was using didn't take well to a sponge.

I just used a plain white fabric paint to help cover the black and then I used Martha Stewart fabric medium and Martha acrylic paints (one a metallic and one a glitter) mixed at one part medium and two parts paint.  I applied it with a half inch flat paintbrush.  To get good even coverage I had to do two coats of the copper mixture.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

indigo_roses
« Reply #321 on: December 12, 2012 02:35:41 PM »

love the Doctor Who mug, especially the hidden Bad Wolf graffiti!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
50 in 2013 18/50

Taking a break from swapping to focus on crafting for myself, friends, and charity
jillybeans
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #322 on: December 12, 2012 02:51:43 PM »

Lovely stenciling, FiberAlchemist!  What kind of paint did you use for the hunger games sweatshirt and how did you apply it?  I always have troubles with the metallics, because the one I was using didn't take well to a sponge.

I just used a plain white fabric paint to help cover the black and then I used Martha Stewart fabric medium and Martha acrylic paints (one a metallic and one a glitter) mixed at one part medium and two parts paint.  I applied it with a half inch flat paintbrush.  To get good even coverage I had to do two coats of the copper mixture.

Nice!  thanks Fiber!  <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

I've moved in May 2013!  Contact me for my new address!
3plyproblem

Is it jumper weather yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #323 on: December 12, 2012 02:55:44 PM »

Thanks Abbeeroad!  Cheesy

Woah, FiberAlchemist! Shocked How quick can one person craft?! Everything looks great.

Audania1, those book bags have stolen my heart. I think I need one of my own...

Awesome Doctor Who mug, Naantje - The 'Bad Wolf' graffiti is the best!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I got 99 problems and they're all unfinished projects.
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #324 on: December 12, 2012 03:14:13 PM »

I love the DW mug Naantje!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Facebook | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
Eiseldora
« Reply #325 on: December 12, 2012 03:57:26 PM »

Love the Dw mug and fiber's awesome projects
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tiamatfire
« Reply #326 on: December 12, 2012 04:13:47 PM »

Fibre, how do you get such wonderfully clean edges on your stencils?  My freezer paper stencils always seem to seep most awfully.  I'm wondering if it's that I'm not using good enough fabric medium...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I do love knitting patterns!" - Albus Dumbledore

Harry Potter Craftalong: Spring Semester!
FiberAlchemist

Wit Beyond Measure

View Profile WWW
« Reply #327 on: December 12, 2012 04:25:19 PM »

Fibre, how do you get such wonderfully clean edges on your stencils?  My freezer paper stencils always seem to seep most awfully.  I'm wondering if it's that I'm not using good enough fabric medium...

I don't think I'm doing anything special.  I just try to make sure the stencil is really attached to the shirt and I try to do a couple of thin coats.  I feel like this keeps the stencil from getting wet and wrinkly.  And if I do end up with some bleeding after I remove the stencil I use fabric paint in the color of the shirt and clean up my edges.  On the Hunger Games Hoodie I had some fuzzy edges in the center around the building and I just used black fabric paint to clean everything up.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012 04:25:45 PM by FiberAlchemist » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Audania1
Christmas crafting all year round...

Magic always comes with a price

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #328 on: December 12, 2012 04:52:21 PM »

everything you made is nice, fiber! I espescially love the quidditch gloves!

Audania, very lovely bags! Are they tricky to make??

Not too tricky! The worst part was doing the math for the side triangle pieces  Roll Eyes . I suck at math and pity my children when they get into higher education and are asking for help from me lol. I used a quarter inch drill bit for the holes for the straps, buttons, and loop and I think next time I would go a tiny bit bigger. It's pretty touch to squeeze so much fabric into that little space - especially the wool one (black).  It's a basic remove the book pages (and gift with book purse Wink )and drill holes. Measure four triangle pieces and sew two together with right sides facing; flip to right side out and top stitch. Measure main book sides with an extra half inch on each side that you iron under, glue the triangle pieces to the sides. Measure two straps 24" long and 3" wide that you fold in half, right sides facing, and stitch along long cut edge only. Flip to right sides out and attach one strap by sliding through one hole in a corner and glue down once you have only an inch inside. Repeat for other strap. I braided a piece of yarn for the loop and inserted it the same way as the strap, only insert second side back into same hole and knot at the hole to keep it from coming out before gluing end pieces down inside. I also attached my button closures with yarn as well. Then glue in the rectangular pieces. My spine was 1" wide and 6" long so I cut a piece of cardboard to that size and a piece of fabric 2" wide and 7" long. I glued that strip to the cardboard and then the whole bit to the inside of the purse to keep it all looking nice and neat.

Whew! I think that was all. Let me know if you have any questions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkleo
Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #329 on: December 12, 2012 04:55:40 PM »

:::Cheers heard from Ravenclaw Tower at the arrival of students consultingcorsair and Audania1:::

@consultingcorsair: Love those mitts!  Cozy and fingers are free for wandwork.  Cool

@Abbee: You are more than welcome! Kiss

@FiberAlchemist: Wowzers! Shocked  Amazing Crafty Magic!  Love Little Luna!  And way to go conquering the Zipper Confundus Charm!  And your Hunger Games Hoodies is fabulous; your stencil lines are so sharp!

@Audania1: What wondrous gifts!  Those Book Bags are fantastic!

@Naantje: Siriusly Awesome Mug!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 148 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tracy Trivas Talks About The Wish Stealers
Lynne Griffin Talks About Sea Escape
Sy Montgomery Talks About Birdology
The Pop-Up Sound of Music Book Trailer
Lance Price Talks About When Power Lies
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...