A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 300,874
Currently Running With Scissors:
654 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 148
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HP Craftalong ~Winter Semester 2012~ *CLOSED*  (Read 204835 times)
Tags for this thread: alchemy , harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pottermouth
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I like Kit-Kat, unless I'm with 4 or more people.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #100 on: December 04, 2012 12:42:14 PM »

My Charms homework is coming along slowly but steadily, I'm knitting a striped scarf (maroon and black) for my boyfriend. Sixty stitches wide, ribbed pattern (3knit3purlx10) on circular needles because they're much more portable. This is my second knitting project, and the first one where I'll actually be doing my stitches correctly. My first project, I apparently did a garter stitch with twisted knit stitches XD I'm getting some routine now, the pace is picking up, but I have definitely been confunded and there are some slight errors in my work. I'm at 17cm so far, so that's what, about a tenth of the final length?

I'm actually wondering if I shouldn't drop my Potions owl (my fianc and I can't really agree on my bouquet, so it's on hold) and turn this scarf into a Charms OWL. I've already been knitting for 2 weeks now to get those first 17 centimeters. So it's definitely a long time engagement for this knitting newbie.

Naantje, I made a House scarf for the B2H Swap in a 1x1 rib over sixty stitches (and 6 feet long) and nearly cried at how long it was taking. During a knitting group, someone mentioned trying Portuguese knitting, so I went home and watched all the YouTube videos on the subject. After a short while, I was knitting like the wind! Well, not really, but I was faster. Hope that helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Naantje
« Reply #101 on: December 04, 2012 01:02:34 PM »

Ooh, that does look as if it might be even faster than European style (with the yarn in your left hand). Would probably get some even stranger looks on the train though... Ah, who cares, I'll give it a try!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 in '14

Calling all talented witches and wizards to join us in the Winter Semester of the Harry Potter Craftalong.
Ant Bee

Expecto Procrastinatum!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #102 on: December 04, 2012 01:31:26 PM »

It may not be Sytherin Cool-Kid to say so, but I really love these forums.  I love the theme, the peeps, and the helpful hints passed around- it's like we're all in a cozy coffee shop (or the three broomsticks!) crafting away together. So fun!

I'm loving the momentum this semester is showing.  I'm working on my next two projects now (well, they're on the desk while I earn a masters degree in Pinning Stuff, haha!) that invlolve sewing. (I am not one who sews..yet.  These small bits are to help with the big bit: The OWL.) My OWL is supposed to be a photo lap-quilt for my sister for Christmas, and I've cut all the fabric I had into squares.  My big issue has been the photos.  I've yet to get really good quality prints and the main pic that I really wanted to use as a center block is no longer an option due to family strife (divorce) so I'm thinking maybe I will forgo the pics altogether, but that minimizes the meaningfulness of the piece.  (all the pics are of us through the years and I was putting the words "Sisters" and "Friends" in the outer frame.) Idk. I'll work on finishing these two smaller sewing projects first and then make up my mind. grr...argh.

In the meantime- I love the TARDIS and the NBC baby things! Gosh, but we are a creative bunch!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Harry witnessed Professor McGonagall walking right past Peeves who was determinedly loosening a crystal chandelier and could have sworn he heard her tell the poltergeist out of the corner of her mouth 'It unscrews the other way.
― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Melissaurus
« Reply #103 on: December 04, 2012 02:05:19 PM »

Class/Challenge/House Pride: History of Magic/Gemino Challenge
House: Gryffindor
Project Name: Tiny Penguin Ornaments
Brief Description: So my boyfriend loves penguins. Like...seriously adores them. He told me to put this puppy under the fire and ice challenge because penguins come from a cold climate, and the fire in his heart for them reaches epic proportions. Tongue I quite like that, and I think a wizard would accept that explanation.

I used one of those old dollar-store gloves, cut the fingertips off of it, stuffed and decorated each finger to make a penguin. The eyes and beak (save for one) are french knots, and the wings are just scraps whip-stitched on to the sides.  I find it adorable how each seems to have a different personality. And it helps that they're the cutest things ever. I plan on giving two to him, two to my grandparents, and one to my best friend for Christmas. Smiley
Project Picture:

(Can I just say how much I ADORE the craftster photo upload feature. Augh! If magic truly exists in this world - this is pretty darn close.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #104 on: December 04, 2012 02:15:33 PM »

Love your little penguins, Melissaurus!! And your fire/ice explanation!

NEWT PROPOSAL
NEWT Subject: Transfiguration
House: Gryffindor
Project Name: Vanishing T-shirt Quilt
Brief Description: This is a bit of a WIP for me. My husband was super hippie when we first met. Long hair, hemp necklaces, falling apart Birkenstocks, and tie-dye tees. Slowly, element by element, he de-hippiefied over the years, at least on the outside. Wink

He's quite sentimental, and even though he no longer wears them, it took me years to convince him to let me repurpose his tees into a quilt. I actually have all the squares cut and the top planned, but I haven't started sewing yet. Since it will be made from t-shirt material, I'll be interfacing each square prior to sewing to add stability and durability to the finished product. I want it big enough to fit our queen sized mattress, as I'm hoping to make this quilt usable and add even more sentimentality to these bits of fabric.

So...I'll be transfiguring old tie-dye t-shirts into a quilt. The test of my transfiguration will be weather I can wrap myself up in it when it's complete and successfully be invisible to the eye, or "vanish" in my quilt!

I won't be starting until after the holidays, so I'm hoping to get this done by the end of February, before the end of the semester! Wish me luck...I'm going to need it!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012 02:40:19 PM by Abbeeroad » THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkleo
Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

« Reply #105 on: December 04, 2012 05:34:44 PM »

@pottermouth: Zero will make a perfect cuddly, and the Jack hat is so cute!

@Naantje: ♥ ♥ your Tardis!  And ~*As per my owl, your new OWL is Approved*~  Best of luck on your scarf knitting; I do know know that is a difficult charm to master.

@Melissaurus:Your Penguin Ornaments are Absolutely ADORABLE!!!  (as is your boyfriend, I can tell just by his comments Wink)

@Abbee: ~*NEWT APPROVED*~ Your hubby is going to love how you repurposed his beloved tees.  You truly are going to have to work some serious crafty magic.  I can't wait to see your finished tee quilt!  I'm sending you some Cupid Crystals to sprinkle in the batting....you know, for later, when y'all are cuddling under it. Wink Grin  Sending blessings of luck!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012 05:36:51 PM by pinkleo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

noodle-bug

equal parts love and evil laughter

« Reply #106 on: December 04, 2012 05:37:04 PM »

mamatattoo, would glow in teh dark embroidery thread be any use? I can't quite picture what you're trying to do so I'm not sure Smiley But you could include a stand of it along with yoru yarn as you knit, or just embroider over a piece of fabric with seed stitch or some filler stitch?
just in case it's useful, here a supplier:http://www.sewessential.co.uk/CategoryML.asp?CategoryID=1363&NumPerPage=100&page=1
and I think sublime stitching sell it too (but not such a good colour range, and i think you have to buy a whole set)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 things in 2014 challenge!
I'm always up for swapping hexies or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
pinkleo
Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

« Reply #107 on: December 04, 2012 05:49:26 PM »

It may not be Sytherin Cool-Kid to say so, but I really love these forums.  I love the theme, the peeps, and the helpful hints passed around- it's like we're all in a cozy coffee shop (or the three broomsticks!) crafting away together. So fun!
Oh that warms my heart, and I feel the same way!  I'm always smiling when I'm here.  I adore everyone's crafts.  I love we can freely share our love of HP and all that's within.  I love all the helpful tips, kind comments, and extra motivation.  And each semester gets better and better! Grin

I'm loving the momentum this semester is showing.  I'm working on my next two projects now (well, they're on the desk while I earn a masters degree in Pinning Stuff, haha!) that invlolve sewing. (I am not one who sews..yet.  These small bits are to help with the big bit: The OWL.) My OWL is supposed to be a photo lap-quilt for my sister for Christmas, and I've cut all the fabric I had into squares.  My big issue has been the photos.  I've yet to get really good quality prints and the main pic that I really wanted to use as a center block is no longer an option due to family strife (divorce) so I'm thinking maybe I will forgo the pics altogether, but that minimizes the meaningfulness of the piece.  (all the pics are of us through the years and I was putting the words "Sisters" and "Friends" in the outer frame.) Idk. I'll work on finishing these two smaller sewing projects first and then make up my mind. grr...argh.
(( HUGS ))  I understand your struggle as one from a home of family strife.  Great idea to focus on your small projects.  I hope a solution finds its way to you!  Perhaps someone will have a fab idea.  Sending you blessings of joy! Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sakuracat23

Don't make me get the flying Monkeys!!!

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 04, 2012 06:02:24 PM »

Im working on two projects to turn in as I sit here typeing and watching a show about Oscar hammerstein the 2nd...complete contentment  Grin lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SKooKuM
Miss Sews-a-lot

Dance kitty

« Reply #109 on: December 04, 2012 06:35:51 PM »

I am one competitive slytherin....expect something..or more from me here soon >:3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am open to personal swaps. Send a pm if you'd like to do a Harry Potter, Pokemon, BJD or Obitsu swaps.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/kitsunestudios
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 148 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Knit a Scarf on with a Loom Part 2/2
How to Knit a Scarf on with a Loom Part 1/2
How to Knit a Wavy Pattern on a Loom
How to Knit a Placemat on a Rectangular Loom Part 1/2
How to Knit a Laptop Table Saver with a Loom Part 2/2
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Super Easy Peppermint Bark
Handmade Gift Ideas: Grey & Plum Button Wreath
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...