A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,717
Currently Running With Scissors:
713 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 148
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HP Craftalong ~Winter Semester 2012~ *CLOSED*  (Read 189926 times)
Tags for this thread: alchemy , harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PenguinSoup
Tutorial Contributor

Reject only your ignorance, and you may survive.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2012 11:17:25 AM »

Since there's no way I can work on one thing at a time, I'm going to be ambitious and do a N.E.W.T. and an O.W.L. if I'm allowed, that is.

~*OWL PROPOSAL*~
OWL Subject & Option: Study of Ancient Runes Option 1
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Handspun hot water bottle cover.
Brief Description: Option one is to follow an intricate charted design. I recently spun this:

into this:

I really want to make a hot water bottle cover out of this pretty pink handspun. It seems like a pretty intricate design. It looks like this:

This should take a few weeks and will be great cabling practice for my N.E.W.T. sweater as it uses cables and lots of moss stitch. But I'll be working on them at the same time. My sweater will have to stay home while I travel, and my water bottle cozy will be able to come with me.

Please let me know if this is allowed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2012 11:40:28 AM »

~*House Points*~

~Points System~
15 points for a Class Assignment & HPC Challenge*
100 points for OWLs
150 points for NEWTs
10 points extra for SPEW aka Charity Items

House Points Guidelines
~* You cannot double dip for Class & Challenge points.  For example, if you turn-in a project for Herbology & Geminio, then you would get 2 badges but only 15 points for the project.

~*You cannot get credit for a class or challenge twice.  For example, if you turn in 2 Alchemy projects, then you will only get points for the first one.

~*SPEW points are extra credit.  You can earn SPEW points for each project you turn in IF it goes to charity.  You do not have to give the charity's name, just that you are donating to a certain cause.  (I happen to know that some Battered Women's Shelters don't like their names/locations posted.) SPEW projects must be clearly marked with SPEW to earn extra points.  I suggest adding it to your header.

~*HPC Challenge Points do not include House Challenges.  For Example, a Gryffindor Lion-along project would not count for points unless it also fulfills a HPC Class or HPC Challenge.

~*To determine House Cup Winter, an average from the points accumulated per house and the number of members per house.  If there is a tie, then more then one house will win the cup.  Note, a House Member is someone who has turned in at least 1 project.

~*Don't stress over House Points, but do craft your personal best (This varies from person to person.  And I'm not really worried about "crafting your best" bit because HPCers are amazing crafters!)

House Points are listed with Completed Assignments & Challenges, and Points System & Guidelines will be located in the first page, first post.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012 04:37:29 PM by pinkleo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2012 11:45:48 AM »

I'm ready for House Points! Yay!

Patty - Wow....seriously can't wait to see your NEWT. I know it will be amazing!!

I keep looking at the NEWT, OWL, and class options and I'm finding inspiration a little tricky to come by. I'm actually liking the challenge, though, no worries! I think after I get out of my "holiday crafting box" I'll be able to get more creative.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2012 12:00:50 PM »

Since there's no way I can work on one thing at a time.
Cheesy This is so me too!

@PenguinSoup: You are ambitious!  But I believe in you...so much that I changed the ruling for OWLs & NEWTs.  Students may now take 1 OWL AND 1 NEWT at the same time (But no more than that, that's my limit).  This OWL fits perfectly with your NEWT as you will have to research Advanced Cable Studies. ~*OWL approved*~  Sending blesssings of luck! Grin

I like the 5th point about house points. That's a great way to make it fair and make everyone happy!
I hope others think so too.

I'm ready for House Points! Yay!
Grin Me too!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012 12:19:45 PM by pinkleo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

PenguinSoup
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2012 12:39:15 PM »

Thanks so much! I agree with finishing an owl before we are allowed to take a newt but most crafty people have multiple things on the go, especially fibre artists with the spinning, knitting, crochet and what not. There's too much to do to just stick to one at a time!

House point wise: I would like my Geminio project to count for that, instead of Herbology.

Also, we can only do a class once for house points, correct?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012 12:46:09 PM by PenguinSoup » THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

« Reply #75 on: December 03, 2012 01:10:04 PM »

Thanks so much! I agree with finishing an owl before we are allowed to take a newt but most crafty people have multiple things on the go, especially fibre artists with the spinning, knitting, crochet and what not. There's too much to do to just stick to one at a time!

House point wise: I would like my Geminio project to count for that, instead of Herbology.

Also, we can only do a class once for house points, correct?
As a crocheter, I completely understand having more than one project going so I was happy to change the ruling.

I will update your turn-in.

And YES, you can only get points for a class assignment once.  You could do it several times, but you only get points for it one time.  Make sense? (Good Point, I'm adding that to my guidelines. Cool)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PenguinSoup
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #76 on: December 03, 2012 03:09:14 PM »

Challenge: Care of Magical Creatures
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Sisterly Socks
Brief Description: I made these for my sister for Christmas. I got them finished just in time too since I'm shipping her package Friday. Their stripes are representative of the kneazles.
Project Picture:

Sorry about the bad quality picture, my phone wasn't agreeing with me. I know my self made sock blockers don't match, but the socks sure do!

Everything I've posted I've finished since Dec. 1. I have two more items almost finished, but after that I'll run out of posting steam since my owl and newt will be kicking my butt. Just felt I should mention this.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012 05:07:36 PM by PenguinSoup » THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

« Reply #77 on: December 03, 2012 04:42:41 PM »

Dear goodness Penguin! Shocked  You have been busy!!!  And I am completely envious of your quick sock knitting skills.  Now, House Points-wise you would only get points for the first Geminio Challenge turn-in....now you can leave it stand as is...use first Geminio as Herbology...use Gemino#2 as an assignment...Care of Magical Creatures perhaps since it is striped like some Kneazle....your choice.  I'll await your word before updating.  Kiss Thanks for your patience while we work the kinks out of House Points System.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012 04:55:32 PM by pinkleo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

PenguinSoup
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #78 on: December 03, 2012 05:06:05 PM »

I'm fine with it not counting, but since you mentioned the Care of Magical creatures and the stripes, that's a really good idea! I've already got something else planned for herbology. The first will remain the Geminio Challenge and I'll change these socks into Care of magical creatures Smiley

And I wish I was a quick sock knitter! The quickest I've been is two weeks but it usually takes me a month or so, probably because I knit socks between my many other projects. I usually have 6 or 7 on the go and most are usually almost finished so I just sit down and finish everything. But the Fox was Started on the 1st and finished on the second.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012 05:11:44 PM by PenguinSoup » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ant Bee

Expecto Procrastinatum!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #79 on: December 03, 2012 06:12:25 PM »

@Penguinsoup, you're hustling like a true Ravenclaw! The socks look great, did you change for each color, or was your yarn self striping?  They look great.  I've yet to build up the courage to try my and at socks... it's coming though. And I love that water bottle design nice choice!

Meanwhile, here in the Slythy common room I've finished an ornament for a fellow knitty friend:

Challenge: Potions: Shrinking Potion
House: Slytherin
Project Name: ickle knitting bag
Brief Description: A good friend of mine and I took (her first) knitting class and so I made her an ornament from one of my knitting bags and some balls of yarn that I treated with a shrinking potion designed for inanimate objects.   
(Recipe found via the pattern here: http://www.redheart.com/free-patterns/yarn-basket-ornament)
I like the look in the designer's pic better, it's more baskety, but I like mine well enough, too.

Project Picture:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Harry witnessed Professor McGonagall walking right past Peeves who was determinedly loosening a crystal chandelier and could have sworn he heard her tell the poltergeist out of the corner of her mouth 'It unscrews the other way.
― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 148 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What Make Up to Wear with a Tan
Will This Glossy Topcoat Transform Your Lipstick Wardrobe?
How to Make a Macha Tea Mask and Coffee Sugar Body Scrub
How to Wear White Eye Makeup - Not Just for Twiggy Wannabes
How to Use a Curling Iron for Perfect Beachy Waves
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...