A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,383
Currently Running With Scissors:
676 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 148
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HP Craftalong ~Winter Semester 2012~ *CLOSED*  (Read 179159 times)
Tags for this thread: alchemy , harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mamaneedles
)O(

Homeschooling explains a lot of my crafts!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #420 on: December 20, 2012 03:33:12 PM »

I'm sorry tia! I've put a hiding spell until tomorrow (we open stocking on solstice here Cheesy). Now I have the intention of puting a sticking spell on it as well! thanks, though for the nice comment Smiley

Love the pear fabric Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Previously known as MamanTattoo.
My Blog!
I made a chidlren's book about homebirth!!
indigo_roses
« Reply #421 on: December 20, 2012 05:50:54 PM »

Penguin, I love the fiber to finished project, as always! Smiley

Maman, that's a lovely time-turner!

tia, great apron! They are great protective gear. Wink

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Detention
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Cassidy's Cancans
Project Page Link (if available): Cancans pattern on Ravelry
Brief Description: Fingerless gloves for my sister for Christmas! She has tiny hands, but I hope that these aren't too small! #1 reason I prefer knitting for myself - I always have my model handy!
Project Picture:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
50 in 2013 18/50

Taking a break from swapping to focus on crafting for myself, friends, and charity
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #422 on: December 20, 2012 06:33:15 PM »

Class: Alchemy
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name: Golden Onion Soup Mix
Project Page Link (if available):
Brief Description: Two of the most important steps in the Alchemical process are albedo and citrinitas, also known as 'the whitening' and 'the yellowing' respectively.  Both of these steps are present in my Golden Onion Soup Mix.  First, the addition of the dried onions causes albedo.  But once the tumeric is added to your cauldron, citrinitas immediately begins.  The resulting mix is a magical blend which can be used to make Onion Soup, or when mixed with sour cream, a wonderful dip for chips & veggies.  I've included the recipe in case anyone wants to try making it for last minute gifts. The original recipe is for a single jar of seasoning.  I multiplied it to make 4 cute little onion shaped jars.  The measurements for the larger batch are in parentheses.

Golden Onion Soup Mix Recipe
2/3 cup dried, minced onion (x 4 = 2 2/3 cups)
3 teaspoons parsley flakes (x 4 = 4 T)
2 teaspoons onion powder (x 4 = 8 tsp)
2 teaspoons turmeric (x 4 = 8 tsp)
1 teaspoon celery salt (x 4 = 4 tsp)
1 teaspoon sea salt (x 4 = 4 tsp)
1 teaspoon sugar (x 4 = 4 tsp)
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper (x 4 = 2 tsp)
Mix all ingredients in bowl, then pour into a jar or tin.  Use 4 tablespoons in a recipe in place of 1 packet of onion soup mix.  

Class: Apparition
Project Name: Melt & Pour Soaps for Him & Her
Brief Description: One of my many homemade Christmas gifts this year is homemade soap.  I created a Bay Rum Exfoliating Soap for the gentlemen in the family, which can be used to clean the most stubborn magical messes from dirty hands.  The recipe includes the use of corn meal which helps naturally scrub away messes and dry skin cells.  The other variety I made this year is Rosewood Oatmeal Moisturizing Soap for the ladies.  The oatmeal also acts as a more gentle exfoliant, and the added glycerin helps skin retain moisture.

Class: Arithmancy
Project Name: Castle Inspired Bookmark
Brief Description: This piece was a special request from a good friend.  He wanted it as a Christmas present for his wife who adores the tv show Castle.  It contains 3 charms, handcuffs for Detective Beckett, a book for Richard Castle, and a pen nib from the show's logo.  There are also 5 Czech glass teardrop beads to represent blood in the police/crime drama.
Project Picture:

Class: Divination
Project Name: Chance the Dog Bracelet
Brief Description: This was another special request from the same friend.  He wanted a custom charm bracelet for his sister-in-law for Christmas that represented her most loyal friend, her dog Chance.  Chance is a Boston Terrier. The bracelet features his name, dog bowls, hearts, bones and two pewter Boston Terrier charms.  The beads are a mix of glass, Czech glass, crystal and rhinestone.

Class: History of Magic
Project Name: Spicy Cajun Seasoning & Cool Ranch Dressing Mix
Brief Description: To represent fire and ice, I've created two complimentary projects to add to my cache of handmade Christmas gifts.  For fire, I made up a batch of Spicy Cajun Seasoning.  For ice, I went with a cool Ranch Dressing & Dip Mix.  I've included the recipes for both in case anyone wants to try making them as last minute gifts. The original recipe is for a single jar of seasoning.  I multiplied it to make 6 jars.  The measurements for the larger batch are in parentheses.

Spicy Cajun Seasoning Recipe
3 T Salt (x 6 = 1 cup)
1 T Paprika (x 6 = 6 T)
1 T Garlic Powder (x 6 = 6 T)
1 T Onion Powder (x 6 = 6 T)
1 T Cayenne (x 6 = 2 T)
1/2 tsp White Pepper (x 6 = 3 tsp)
1 1/2 tsp Thyme (x 6 = 1 T)
3/4 tsp Black Pepper (x 6 = 4.5 tsp)
1/2 tsp Oregano (x 6 = 3 tsp)

Mix all the ingredients in a bowl, then pour into an air tight container.

Cool Ranch Dressing Recipe
5 T dried minced onions (x 6 = 2 cups)
7 tsp parsley flakes (x 6 = 7/8 cup)
4 tsp salt (x 6 = 1/2 cup)
1 tsp garlic powder (x 6 = 2 T)

Mix all the ingredients in a bowl, then divide into small air-tight jars.
For dressing: Mix 2 tablespoons dry mix with 1 cup mayonnaise and 1 cup buttermilk or sour cream.
For dip:  Mix 2 tablespoons dry mix with 2 cups sour cream.

Class: Potions
Project Name: Mare Bear Bookmark
Brief Description: For my Potions project, I decided to go with a Shrinking Solution.  This tiny project is another special request from a friend.  She wanted a bookmark for her roommate for Christmas.  Her roommate's nickname is Mare Bear, so it features a teddy bear charm, an M charm, and some blueberry quartz and Swarovski crystal beads.  I forgot to get a picture with a coin for size, but it measures just 3.5" long.  Perfect size for a paperback novel.    

Challenge: Detention in the Dungeons ~ December
Project Name: Holiday Gift Baskets & Labels
Brief Description: I've been working on these projects for a while now.  The components for most of my Christmas gifts were made throughout the summer and fall, and I had intended to make up the baskets to hold everything before the Fall semester started.  If only I met all my own deadlines!  With Christmas nearly here, and the fact that DH & I are leaving first thing Saturday morning to head up to Illinois to see his family, I knew I had to get these baskets together today, so I'd have tomorrow for last minute errands and packing.  The part that I was dreading about these most was actually putting labels on all of the jars.  I hadn't made them up when I made the jars themselves, which I really should have done.  Once I sat down to do it today, it only took me about an hour to write them all up, print them onto nice paper, chop them up with my paper cutter, and tie them on with pretty sparkly yarn.  Then I filled each basket (acquired from a thrift store across the street) with a coordinating fabric, and some of my homemade jar gifts, including Beer Bread Mix, Golden Onion Soup Mix, Lazy Winter Night Soup Mix, Cajun Seasoning, Ranch Dressing & Dip Mix, and handmade soap.

Challenge: Geminio Challenge Part II
House: Gryffindor
Project Name: 60 Stamped Note Cards
Brief Description: For my second Geminio Challenge entry, I decided to make a ton of note cards to include with my outgoing Etsy orders.  The lovely patty_o_furniture sent me a beautiful hand carved stamp with my Etsy's logo on it, so while I had the paper cutter out today, I chopped up 15 sheets of card stock, and turned it into 60 hand stamped note cards.  I'm definitely not great at achieving a dark and even stamping, but I am getting better at it.  I did 60, hoping it would keep me stocked up for a while, now that the holidays are nearly over.  (The last 60 I made ran out last week!)  Here's a small portion of the 60.
Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong - Spring Semester

It does not due to dwell on lists and forget to craft.
tiamatfire
« Reply #423 on: December 20, 2012 06:48:12 PM »

Wow Jennie, all your stuff is great!  I'm totally going to steal the onion soup thing Cheesy  I love your bookmarks too - I'm going to be PMing you... Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I do love knitting patterns!" - Albus Dumbledore

Harry Potter Craftalong: Spring Semester!
SKooKuM
Miss Sews-a-lot

Dance kitty

« Reply #424 on: December 20, 2012 07:38:05 PM »

oh oh oh! I wanna be on the slytherin quidditch team. What spot do I want?! What do ! want to repair/replace! The list is soooo long!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am open to personal swaps. Send a pm if you'd like to do a Harry Potter, Pokemon, BJD or Obitsu swaps.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/kitsunestudios
FreakieGeekie

Queen of Quirky, lover of all things cute and creepy

Proudly lets her freak flag fly

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #425 on: December 20, 2012 07:44:42 PM »

All these things are so awesome! Grin
I'm going grocery shopping tomorrow so that I can get supplies to finish my detention work and pick up stuffing for my OWL since I can't find what I have. If I could find the stuffing, I'd be nearly finished! **shakes fist**
I've got an idea for a NEWT but I must complete my OWL before I can see if my idea will qualify as a NEWT.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

patty_o_furniture

May the force be ever in your favor, Mr. Potter.

« Reply #426 on: December 20, 2012 07:57:05 PM »

Class: Detention
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name: 22 Cookie Decorating Kits
Project Page Link (if available): http://www.sisterssuitcaseblog.com/2011/10/su.html
Brief Description: Saw the idea for a cookie kit back near Halloween and loved it, knew that was what I needed to do for Christmas this year for neighbor gifts.  So made 12 dozen sugar cookies, a double batch of buttercream frosting, and found all the cutie little decorating treats I could.  These all went out today.  I hope they are as well loved as I would love to have one.  My girls begged for their own box, but all 22 boxes had homes.
tag says "easy-peasy Christmas sugar cookie kit.  All the fun, none of the work.  Merry Christmas from us!"
Project Picture:

I may have had a little too much fun piping the frosting.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

FreakieGeekie

Queen of Quirky, lover of all things cute and creepy

Proudly lets her freak flag fly

« Reply #427 on: December 20, 2012 08:57:33 PM »

Patty-O: Those are awesome gifts! I'll have to take note of that for gifts next year!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sakuracat23

Don't make me get the flying Monkeys!!!

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: December 20, 2012 09:03:55 PM »

Pattie O-Omg those kits are epic! Kudos for being so productive!
Jennieingram-love your bookmarks and jewelry and your mixes look yummy.
tiamatfire- beautiful apron. Love the fabric!
MamanTattoo- I love the soft stone circle. I keep expecting a tiny golden trio and Malfoy with his goons to act out the scene where Hermione punched Draco...I am such a NERD! Lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ant Bee

Expecto Procrastinatum!

« Reply #429 on: December 20, 2012 10:00:47 PM »

I'm loving the food stuffs gift ideas, will have to try those out next year.  I'm thinking of going all/almost all handmade for 2013 and these ideas are worth emulating!

Here's my latest, I'm making ornaments for several of my gift recipients this year.  I've made about half a dozen little weasley-esque sweaters, next up: Flying keys.  But first, this little fella:

Class: Divination
House: Slytherin
Project: Needle Felted Fido
Description:  The Divination challenge calls for either something with Tea/coffee or one or more symbols found therein. Hence I present my little ornament made in the image of a friend's dog.  Dog in Tasseomancy means "Loyal Friend" s it was the perfect gift for my loyal friend this Christmas.
Here's the model:          And the ornament:

The ornament is standing on a quarter to give you an idea of the size.  It looks close-ish to the model, like a cartoon version of her I'd say. she has a seed bead on her collar to be a Christmas bell or tag. I hope my friend likes it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Harry witnessed Professor McGonagall walking right past Peeves who was determinedly loosening a crystal chandelier and could have sworn he heard her tell the poltergeist out of the corner of her mouth 'It unscrews the other way.
― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 148 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Write Tech Reviews
How to Write a Limerick
How to Write a Sonnet
Peter Ames Carlin on Narrator Bobby Cannavale
Peter Ames Carlin on His Audiobook Bruce
Latest Blog Articles
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...