A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,496
Currently Running With Scissors:
586 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 148
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HP Craftalong ~Winter Semester 2012~ *CLOSED*  (Read 188334 times)
Tags for this thread: alchemy , harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1360 on: February 25, 2013 09:29:37 AM »

~*NEWT Update*~
At the end of week one, I am currently about 20% of the way through my afghan!   Yay for being on schedule!  Smiley  DH & I have become addicted to Fringe lately, so we watched several hours of that over the weekend, and I got to crochet then.  (Even though I *should* have been finishing up some jewelry for my Etsy.)  I have altered the coloration of the pattern slightly, so the color bands are less even, but I'm liking the effect so far.  Should have an updated progress pic for you all soon. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Facebook | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
TechnicolorAquahearts

Proud Slytherin in the HP Summer Craftalong!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1361 on: February 25, 2013 10:18:16 AM »

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Defense Against The Dark Arts
House:Slytherin
Project Name:Cucumber Melon Cold Soup
Brief Description: This is the season where my allergies make me feel like I have been hit in the head with a sledge hammer, so I am constantly looking for things to sooth my sore throat and achy sinuses. Especially things that are comforting without the excessive use of medication. So I came up with this cold soup I put peeled cucumber, cantaloupe, agave nectar, fresh mint leaves, and fresh basil leaves in a blender with some ice and blended it until smooth. If you make this don't be shy with the mint and basil their aromatic qualities are a big part of why it is so soothing, and also If you want to cut back on the sugar content (which I had to do) just put a few table spoons of Agave Nectar and then some splenda packets. That way you still get the soothing texture of the agave nectar but it is lighter in the sugar and calorie department. In the end this cold soup was very delicious, and incredibly soothing. I will definitely be making this again in the summer when it is 100 degrees outside! This fits the Defense Against the Dark Arts class because of it's cucumber content, and the fact that Kappas are dark and dangerous creatures but are great luck if you are able to befriend one and the best way to befriend one is to invite it to dine with you and serve it cucumber dishes, so this cold soup would be the perfect appetizer to a feast of cucumber sushi on a hot summer afternoon.
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Horcrux: Marvolo Gaunt's Ring
Project Name: Phoenix Feather In Memory Of Dumbledore
Brief Description: Everyone knows that Dumbledore loved his Phoenix, Fawkes, dearly and that the symbolism of the Phoenix is central to not only Dumbledore's character but Harry Potter's character and the over arching theme of the series in general. The Idea of rising from the ashes and allowing yourself to be reborn after difficult times is one of the things that inspired me most about the Harry Potter series. With that in mind I made an illustration of a Phoenix feather. I drew it in black ink and colored it with prismacolor pencils.
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Horcrux: Helga Hufflepuff's Cup
Project Name: Hufflepuff Badger Drawing
Brief Description: When drawing the Phoenix feather I did for the above project I had such a good time and seemed to be on a roll with drawing in that style so I continued by drawing this badger drawing in honor of Hufflepuff. Their mascot is the badger and that house is very much drawn to earthy and natural pursuits like Herbology, so I included lots of plant life in the drawing as well. I made sure to accent the black ink drawing with yellow for Hufflepuff pride!
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Horcrux: Harry Potter
Project Name: Water Lily paintings
Brief Description: By now everyone has seen ErinAquaheart's owl where she spent over 90 hours painting a koi pond, well she was kind enough to let me have a small hand in that project by letting me paint the water lilies. The lilies evolved over time and one of the ones I loved actually had to be erased with acetone so that I could paint all of them in the final style, but luckily I got pictures of both styles.
Project Picture:
First the one that had to be erased:

This one is the final style, it's mainly blue but some are pink as well:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

etsy: www.lynnaquaheart.etsy.com
Like me on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/AquaheartStudios
Follow Me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/LynnAquaheart
I have a blog about all things creative! http://lynnaquaheart.blogspot.com
Mamaneedles
)O(

Homeschooling explains a lot of my crafts!

« Reply #1362 on: February 25, 2013 10:38:30 AM »

Everything looks great, but that pheonix feather is so very well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Previously known as MamanTattoo.
My Blog!
I made a chidlren's book about homebirth!!
ErinAquaheart
« Reply #1363 on: February 25, 2013 01:29:04 PM »

THIS IS MY LAST CLASS!!!
Class: Care of Magical Creatures
House: Slytherin
Project Name: Kneazle Snack Bracelet
Project Description: When dealing with a highly intelligent and very dangerous magical animal like a kneazle it is very important to keep a good supply of tasty treats on hand. These yummy little striped fish are the perfect snack for a hungry and/or testy kneazle. And the bracelet provides easy access while you give pets. Gnaw on fishies not fingers!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Moonflame
« Reply #1364 on: February 25, 2013 03:08:12 PM »

Well, I've got enough posts for pics now, AND I got my camera uploading again (bit of a glitchy week last week) so HERE GOES!!

Class: Potions
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name: Brewing Time
Project Page Link (if available):
Brief Description: I used the shrinking solution to make pint-sized potions for my youngest's room
Project Picture: I took the pics, uploaded, etc. and THEN remembered the coin.  I think it's pretty obvious that these started life as baby food jars (stage 1 - roughly 2.5" by 2.5"), but if I need to redo the pics, I'll understand.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Moonflame
Moonflame
« Reply #1365 on: February 25, 2013 03:16:30 PM »

Class: Flying
Project Name: Luminous Lanterns
Brief Description: These are a nice way to enhance one's vision in the evening, when the shadows fall so early.  The little kirigami paper shades also enhance the plain fairy lights! Smiley
Project Picture:

The second pic is a little blurry because I was trying to get the glow. :-P  At least you can get the idea.  They're a simple "Chinese" paper shade design.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Moonflame
Moonflame
« Reply #1366 on: February 25, 2013 03:22:37 PM »

Class: Arithmancy
Project Name: Foe no!
Brief Description: Mod Podge, a Dollar store mirror, and some progressively less opaque printouts for the main.  I painted the frame with charcoal acrylic, printed and cut the foes, and Mod Podged them onto the frame.  I E6000ed some glass gems on to the corners, and for the top used a calligraphy pen and ink on parchment, cut to fit a wire arc (cut from a roll of dollar store wire) and attached to the top.

The Magical Properties of 3 are important in the function of this glass.  Much of its accuracy and focus relies on the groupings of 3 magical gems at each corner.

Project Picture:

D was tickled to learn who her foes were:

Lawrence from Firefly (the Fed), Thomas (from Downton Abbey), a Dalek, Bellatrix LeStrange, Jim Moriarty (from Sherlock), and Draco and Lucius Malfoy. Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013 04:11:32 PM by Moonflame » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Moonflame
Moonflame
« Reply #1367 on: February 25, 2013 03:40:16 PM »

Challenge: Horcrux Hunt - Harry Potter
Project Name: Shell Cottage
Brief Description: This was inspired by Harry himself, because I was really touched by how he felt about Shell Cottage - the sea lavender, the cliff-top view, the soothing noise of the sea.  I wanted my Shell Cottage to embody the little bit of respite that he found there. 

The project includes lavender from my garden (for sea lavender), a clifftop view from Cornwall (where Shell Cottage is located), 2 rosebushes (Harry dug Dobby's grave between 2 bushes, and I always pictured them as rose bushes), a gazing ball of Fleur's, and a protection totem made by Fleur for her garden (the twisted wire tree with amulets.)  The house is actually just cardboard (3 layers) covered with white DAS clay with shells embedded in it.  The roof is Sculpey.  The roses are sculpey, and got easier as I made them, LOL! The bushes were from a weird bag of 5 such items from the dollar store flower section.  I cut one in half so it would fit in the frame.  Luckily I cut badly, as serendipity would dictate that I would need a thin one for outside the house, and a thicker one for beside the house.  There's a printout of a sort of witchy kitchen behind the window.
Project Picture: 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Moonflame
Moonflame
« Reply #1368 on: February 25, 2013 04:05:14 PM »

And finally, I hope this is OK to post for inspiration.  I didn't make it during this semester, but wanted to share.  It's a printer's tray filled with HP stuff - again for youngest's room.  It took me months to make, mainly because I wasn't sure what was going to go in all the cubbies, but here it is:

Overall view:

Some potions ingredients, a dragon with cloud and moon, and more potions ingr, a cauldron, and hand sewn spell book (brown paper bag pages, cardboard cover covered in cloth.)  A handwritten spell is the backing for this cubby (Confusion Oil.)

Handknitted S.P.E.W. hats and a pattern, S.P.E.W. badge, ball of yarn and needles

The Divination cubby has a tea cup and saucer with hand crocheted doily, a wand, Tarot cards, and a crystal ball.  Below that - a broom!

Bottom 3 - Owl Post logo under glass; parchment, quill and inkwell; Pygmy Puffs (we went through quite a few before this went up - my Kneazles love to terrorise them!)

A door into the owlery, an owl and a letter with tiny wax seal (edit - as I look closer, I think the seal has gone!  Better get another one on there!); to the right, Madame Malkin's with boxes and fabric, a handmade felt hat, and some robes on display; to the left, a ticket from the Hogwarts Express, a pumpkin pasty from the trolley and a jar of Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans.

And finally, the Common Room - a wax seal with the official Hogwarts crest, a winged key, a Hogwarts crest in frame, fireplace with a motto that seemed to fit Gryffindor, a Gryffindor banner, a leather journal (Riddle's diary) and cauldron, a Marauder's Map, and fireplace with a little bottle of Floo Powder.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013 04:08:46 PM by Moonflame » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Moonflame
pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

« Reply #1369 on: February 25, 2013 06:19:47 PM »

:::With her feet up and a flask of fire whiskey at her side, pinkleo serenely sips as she gazes upon the wondrous work of the HPC students.  Grabbing her magic quill, she writes... :::

@sammylouise: A tidy desk is a happy desk.

@the_essence: Your dish looks divine.  Kiss for the recipe!

@jennie: Congrats on conquering the Confundus Charm!  And absolutely adore your Owl Pendant!  And excellent hunting!  (one can never have too many stitch markers) Oh...

FYI, the Loops & Threads Country Loom is currently on sale for $3 a skein this week.  (Regular $5 each.)  They have some really beautiful colors.  Wink
You are a temptress!  ....And YAY Fringe! Cool

@Maman: Congratulations on completing your OWL!  (such lucky little ones)  An Owl Examiner will apparate in soon with your certificate. Cool

@ErinAquaheart: Wowzers!  Shocked AMAZING!  Just WOW!  Your Owl Examiner will pop in shortly with your certificate. Cool

@TechnicolorAquahearts:  Your Cucumber Melon Soup should appease any Kappa.  And your artwork is gorgeous!  I love every piece!!!

@Moonflame: As mentioned in my PM, your OWL is most definitely approved; sorry for the delay!  Congrats on your first class submissions; I know the Badgers are thrilled to have you on their team! I adore your Shell Cottage piece.  And thank you for sharing your printer's tray HP project; it should get crafty muses singing! Grin
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013 06:32:42 PM by pinkleo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 148 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Artist Creates Fantasy Coffins
Matchstick Men Serve as Art
"The Bay Lights" Transforms San Francisco Skyline
Artist Jodi Harvey-Brown Creates Sculptures Inside Books
Brooklyn Artist Creates Light Bulb Headed Sculptures
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...