A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,194
Currently Running With Scissors:
350 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 148
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HP Craftalong ~Winter Semester 2012~ *CLOSED*  (Read 225145 times)
Tags for this thread: alchemy , harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: December 04, 2012 06:42:46 PM »

My big issue has been the photos.  I've yet to get really good quality prints and the main pic that I really wanted to use as a center block is no longer an option due to family strife (divorce) so I'm thinking maybe I will forgo the pics altogether, but that minimizes the meaningfulness of the piece.  

Nothing minimizes the meaningfulness of a quilt.  Nothing.  Believe me, I've made a lot of them.  And some turn out just like you thought they would, and some go in a whole new direction, but they all mean something, and they all are treasured by their recipients.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Facebook | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
CraftyLadyMJ

A crafting I'll go...

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 04, 2012 08:11:27 PM »

How do I finid the first challenge for the winter semester?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Summer HPC 2013
No more cellphone headaches!
pinkleo
Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #112 on: December 04, 2012 08:12:06 PM »

My big issue has been the photos.  I've yet to get really good quality prints and the main pic that I really wanted to use as a center block is no longer an option due to family strife (divorce) so I'm thinking maybe I will forgo the pics altogether, but that minimizes the meaningfulness of the piece.  

Nothing minimizes the meaningfulness of a quilt.  Nothing.  Believe me, I've made a lot of them.  And some turn out just like you thought they would, and some go in a whole new direction, but they all mean something, and they all are treasured by their recipients.
As a recipient of gift quilts, these are true words.  Ant Bee, your love will be felt and appreciated for years & years to come! Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkleo
Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

« Reply #113 on: December 04, 2012 08:13:57 PM »

How do I finid the first challenge for the winter semester?

Hi CraftyLadyMJ!  The current HPC challenges are listed HERE.  Just click the challenge, and it will lead you to deals.  Our current challenge is the Deputy Headmistress' Geminio Challenge.  More HPC Challenges are on the way, and a few Houses have House Challenges going on.  Check out the HPC Portkeys to House Common Rooms & Bulletin Boards.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012 08:16:43 PM by pinkleo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ant Bee

Expecto Procrastinatum!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #114 on: December 04, 2012 08:47:38 PM »

As a recipient of gift quilts, these are true words.  Ant Bee, your love will be felt and appreciated for years & years to come! Kiss

Thanks for this ^. It really helps to have someone outside one's own brain say things that seem to make sense. If you know what I mean...

Pottermouth sent me a message with some great thoughts, too, like maybe I could replace the picture squares with fabric that I embroider or applique with something personal.  I'd really like to accomplish this project- it's been on my "Wish I could" list for ages (Like since Christmas of 2009! yipes!) So, I think you guys are right and I should just do it the best way that I can and then release it out into the wilds of Christmas gifting.  (Unless it's awful, in which case we never speak of it again and this conversation never happened, haha  Wink )

You guys rock, thank you!

*skips off to warm up her needle and thread and look up spells for Nice even stitches*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Harry witnessed Professor McGonagall walking right past Peeves who was determinedly loosening a crystal chandelier and could have sworn he heard her tell the poltergeist out of the corner of her mouth 'It unscrews the other way.
― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Kit the Brave
« Reply #115 on: December 04, 2012 09:06:10 PM »

Welcome to Hufflepuff, TheBrokenButterfly! And Pottermouth, ZEEEEERO! That is so cute I can barely stand it!

AntBee, one of my teachers was a quilter, and at the end of our internship, he gave each of us interns a piece of fabric that made him think of us for some reason. I treasure it! And it's not even a whole quilt. Whatever you end up doing, I know it'll be appreciated.

Class/Challenge: Flying
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name: Bright-Eyed Bento Lunch
Project Description: Bento is a fun Japanese lunch/art form that emphasizes small servings of foods that are different colors, textures, and flavors (something sweet, something sour, etc.). To help promote good vision for Quidditch practice after dark, my bento has foods packed with lutein and vitamin A! (Probably vitamin A is not really that great for vision, but during World War II the British started the rumor that their pilots were able to shoot down German planes at night because they ate lots of carrots. Really the British had cracked the Nazis' Enigma code and so they knew where the planes would be - but the carrot story was necessary to keep the Nazis from realizing what had happened and changing their code.)

From left to right: Garbanzo beans with red wine vinegar and lemon, roasted broccoli with sesame seeds, mashed sweet potatoes, and cornbread.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
patty_o_furniture

May the force be ever in your favor, Mr. Potter.

« Reply #116 on: December 04, 2012 09:29:02 PM »

Class/Challenge: Geminio Challenge
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name: Christmas Bracelet Twin
Project Description:  When I saw ~This Fantastic Bracelet~ by our own Deputy Headmistress jennieingram I loved it right away, knew I needed one.  So here is my not so amazing copy-- it can't hold a candle to hers, but it does look cute enough on me. And I'm hoping that she calls it flattery that I liked it enough to twin it and not just a stolen idea!  *hugs to you jennie!*
Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WhistleFish
« Reply #117 on: December 04, 2012 10:03:05 PM »

How is it only day #4 of Winter Semester?! So many great things already! I've been working hard on a couple different projects so be prepared for my Geminio challenge and Study of Ancient Runes soon!

Let's see if I can catch up with all of this crafty goodness:

@PenguinSoup: Amazing OWL! I don't know much about spinning, but I would imagine it to be hard to keep the yarn all the same size. It seems as if you did a flawless job! Fox Scarves: so freaking awesome. One more reason I need to learn to knit. Ornament: I saw that same idea on Pinterest and immediately pinned it. Yours is beautiful. Socks: Holy kneazels! You are a finishing machine. Great socks!

@MamanTattoo: What a creative twist to a nativity. Baby Sun God! I love it! Awesome idea (and peg people are always so cute!) Also, congratulations on Quidditch Captain!

@Melissaurus: I'm excited for your finished OWL. I can't wait to see it. And those penguins!!!! They're so adorable! Your boyfriend (and family/friend) are going to love them. I'd love to see a mini Christmas tree covered in these little penguins. (Idea for next year, right??) It would be a cute overload.

@Abbeeroad: Lovely pouches! All the little bottle openers look kind of cute, like they're in sleeping bags on a camping trip. Smiley

@Ant Bee: What a beautiful ear warmer. Perfect protection (and possibly an awesome gift idea....I must add that to my ever growing list of things to make for Christmas.) Also --- adorable knitting bag ornament! So cute.

@noodle bug: Beautiful socks! I love the color!

@Kit the Brave: Could you please geminio that lunch and send it with your owl to my place? It looks delicious.

@FreakieGeekie: What a tiny purse! Hopefully you found that Swelling Potion, otherwise it might get lost!

@Pottermouth: that baby is going to LOVE that Zero! And the Jack hat! Ohmygoodness. So awesome!

@Naantje:
Awesome Tardis! Plastic canvas is amazing, isn't it?

@patty_o_furniture: So beautiful and festive! I love charm bracelets. Yours (and jennie's) is awesome -- its like everything good about Christmas all in one place.

Whew! I think I'm caught up. If I forgot anyone I am very sorry. I'm going to try to stay on top of things. I've been slacking my first two years and now that I'm a third year I've told myself I need to take my schooling more seriously.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mamaneedles
)O( * ॐ

Homeschooling explains a lot of my crafts!

« Reply #118 on: December 05, 2012 06:04:24 AM »

Wow. So many post while I was asleep! I couldn't help it and felt asleep when I tried getting my kids to sleep.

noodle-bug: Thanks! that's actually a great idea. I could even spin some blue wool with it. I'll try to find it localy first.

abbee: that's a wonderful project. Can't wait to see the result!

patty: this bracelet is so lovely! I must say green and red are my favourite colors Smiley

thank you wistlefish Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog! (and where I sell my dolls!)
I made a chidlren's book about homebirth!
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

« Reply #119 on: December 05, 2012 07:18:04 AM »

hehe...thanks for the cupid crystals, pinkleo! I know they'll be appreciated!! Wink

Hello sKooKuM! I totally rewatched AVPM and AVPS before the HP Holiday Swap and fell in love with it all over again. I've been watching some other StarKid stuff, too, waiting impatiently for AVPSY to make it onto YouTube. Rewatching made me think of our swap...which was totally awesome. Wink

Kit the Brave, your bento looks delicious!

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Care of Magical Creatures and Geminio Challenge
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name: Ice-dyed shirts
Project Page Link (if available): N/A
Brief Description: I made two shirts via the ice tie-dye method as Christmas gifts for my husband and BIL (BIL request!). They are reminiscent of a more freckled Kneazles fur pattern. Since no two items can be exactly identical with tie dye, I'm ok if these don't qualify for the Geminio Challenge. Though I bet even Fred and George have subtle differences known only to those who know them best! Wink
Project Picture:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 148 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Playing Darts - Proper Technique
Playing Darts - Equipment
Playing Darts - Basics
Learn how to Make Henna and the Henna Cone
Ring of Fire - Easy Acoustic Rhythm Guitar Lesson
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...
Tute Tuesday: Fascinators

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...