A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,507
Currently Running With Scissors:
472 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: $4 Fridge Revamp! Seriously.  (Read 4924 times)
Tags for this thread: refrigerator , revamp  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 28, 2012 08:14:40 PM »

Our new-to-us house came with 2 fridges and a freezer, which is good because when we sold our last house the buyers stipulated purchasing our refrigerators in the contract.  But... this is the fridge in the kitchen (the other is in the mudroom and is too big for the cabinetry and no newer).

The stickers were sentimental in that they showed the interests and travels of the family that lived here for almost 30 years (not that the fridge is that old), but those weren't our memories on there and that's not our style.  Our other appliances are black and we aren't ready to buy a new fridge, so I decided to remove the stickers and do something

I used four $1 rolls of wood grain patterned contact paper to give that thing the faux bois treatment!  Then I spray painted the handles, grill and hinge cover with black spray paint that I had on hand.  There are more photos and more details on my blog: http://suddenlytaxidermy.blogspot.com/2012/11/3-fridge-makeover-how-i-spent.html.

There is something about the dorm/hotel fridge vibe that tickles me.  I do think it looks better than before, but I also think it's kind of a (subtle) hoot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lovesclutter

Nothing is safe in its native form.

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012 08:26:12 PM »

That is an absolutely ingenious idea, frugal and very well executed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
TwistMySister
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012 08:29:00 PM »

wowee that looks great, you did such a good job on it, it looks like real wood! even though the before fridge is more me, i think you did a stunning job!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick, and pull yourself together.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/On-The-Front-Line/175858075802771

http://www.etsy.com/shop/OnTheFrontLine
TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012 09:03:04 PM »

That is an absolutely ingenious idea, frugal and very well executed.

Thanks!  I was pleasantly surprised at how well the seams came together which goes a long way to making it look less like it's contract paper.  Wink

wowee that looks great, you did such a good job on it, it looks like real wood! even though the before fridge is more me, i think you did a stunning job!  Grin

Thank you!  There was certainly a time in my life when I would have preferred the sticker laden version, but these days I'd rather there not even be magnets on there.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vjepson
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012 09:30:54 PM »

I love it! Awesome job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bunny1kenobi
Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2013 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012 04:52:45 AM »

Well done!  If that had been me, there would have been bubbles EVERYWHERE - but I don't see a single one on your fridge!  And it looks great with the rest of your kitchen!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012 06:49:24 AM »

Thank you!  To get the bubbles out, I used a smoothing tool that I have from using large scale, one-time, self-adhesive stencils that is similar to a wallpaper smoothing tool.  I think it's the same tool used to apply vinyl decals to cars and such.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012 07:23:31 AM »

A quick fix (relatively speaking!) that looks good!  Remodeling is such a long process that never ends...so it must be satisfying to get a nice result...love that you did your handles and the grill at the bottom.

I know they make stainless steel looking contact paper...I might use your tips from your blog to redo the front of my old dishwasher!

Have you tried Goo-Gone to remove adhesive residue?  I bought the stuff by the gallon when we moved in to remove hundreds of stickers that kids placed on their closet doors and windows.  I poured it into a spray bottle, let it sit for a few minutes...and the goo just seemed to melt away with a wipe!  I keep a bottle on hand now to remove labels from everything.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
TheMistressT

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012 08:26:03 AM »

A quick fix (relatively speaking!) that looks good!  Remodeling is such a long process that never ends...so it must be satisfying to get a nice result...love that you did your handles and the grill at the bottom.

I know they make stainless steel looking contact paper...I might use your tips from your blog to redo the front of my old dishwasher!

Have you tried Goo-Gone to remove adhesive residue?  I bought the stuff by the gallon when we moved in to remove hundreds of stickers that kids placed on their closet doors and windows.  I poured it into a spray bottle, let it sit for a few minutes...and the goo just seemed to melt away with a wipe!  I keep a bottle on hand now to remove labels from everything.

Thanks!  We're just trying to redecorate the new place to suit us and then in a few years we'll hopefully truly remodel the kitchens and baths.

I considered the SS contact paper, but I've had stainless steel appliance at my last 2 houses and I'm just done with all the maintenance. Maybe the paper doesn't smudge so easily?

I've used Goof-off a whole lot which is similar and I have plenty of it, but I wasn't sure how it would effect the vinyl finish on the fridge and I didn't want to do any permanent damage.  Also, it's COLD here this time of year and that whole "use in a well ventilated area" thing wasn't going to happen.  Wink

Good luck and I'd love to see whatever it is you do so let me know!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012 10:50:45 AM »

Goof-off is more toxic and does need ventilation.  Goo-gone is a liquid and made of citrus.  It is smart to test it on a small spot, but so far, I have used it on glass, furniture, shoes, hair, plastic and even clothing with no issues.

I do not like the smudges on stainless either...plus it feels so industrial to me...the paper seems to be a bit "duller"  my sister did hers and it looked great.

I do like the funky dorm vibe...and it was fun reading all the old stickers...what an interesting family who owned your home previously! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Make A Valentine’s Day Dinner With Aphrodisiacs
Your Next 21 Meals Planned by Chef Ryan Scott
How to Make Mouthwatering Ricotta Pancakes
Fluffy Pancake Recipe From Clinton Street Bakery
How to Make a Valentines Day Meal for the Whole Family
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...