A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,571
Currently Running With Scissors:
648 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Beadwork Leather Pouch  (Read 745 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Listessa
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: November 26, 2012 09:39:45 PM »

Here's the main item I created for a Secret Santa swap on another forum.  My swapee wants to get into doing mountain man or voyager style reenactments in Wisconsin area set around the mid to late 1800s.

I didn't have enough time to make a bandolier bag, but there was enough to create a beaded panel for a small belt pouch.  (Could be a tobacco pouch or whatever little trinket carrier.)  I left the tie long, in case he would rather use it as a necklace type or what not. 

The pouch is very soft buckskin leather, with an antler slice button for decoration.  The lacing is also all deer leather, and the decorative tassels sport brass cone dangles. 

The seed beads are size 11 square stitched together.  The pattern I used was inspired by a large Sioux beaded bag.  I took one of the aspects of the pattern and graphed it out on KG-Chart so I could stitch it more easily.  The original appeared to be lazy stitched on the bag - but I'm surprisingly horrible at that.  So I ended up fabricating the bead cloth first and then stitching it on the leather. 

Surprisingly I only stabbed my finger once with the glover's needle when stitching the bead work to the bag! 

It was a lot of fun, the first bead work I have ever stitched onto leather.  I've usually stitched it on felt or something first.  I wanted to keep it somewhat authentic to what was around during those times in that setting. 

DISCLAIMER:
I am NOT Native American in any means of which I have claim.  I'm not claiming to be Native through this piece.  I don't usually stay this close to real Native American patterns in bead work unless they are for my own usage at home.  I only kept this one close, since my giftee has serious interest in this particular type of reenactment.  I made sure to stress in the note included that this is NOT authentic, nor is it Native handcrafted. 
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012 11:51:32 PM by Listessa » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012 08:38:54 AM »

This is lovely. I love the thought you put into this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
Alexus1325
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012 10:23:50 AM »

Seriously awesome! The brass cones really finish the piece Cheesy

And I totally understand why you're making the non-Native distinction, but since it was intended as a gift, I don't think there will be any problems unless your recipient sells it some time in the future, in which case the distinction will once again be important. Not like s/he will likely ever WANT to sell it, though! Cuz that bag's just too bada$$ to give up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Catter75
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012 11:35:17 AM »

Love the pouch and the bright colors
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Your Own Puppets
How to Make a Puppet Fox
How to Make a Dog Sock Puppet
How to Create a Hand Puppet With Socks
How to Make Shadow Puppets With Your Hand
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...