A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,165
Currently Running With Scissors:
380 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gift ideas for dad?  (Read 693 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Toralune
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« on: November 25, 2012 03:13:39 PM »

I'm trying to come up with gift ideas for my dad and I'm coming up pretty short this year. He tends to be pretty difficult to shop/craft for in general since he never really seems to have anything he wants, and isn't into most of the standard go-to ideas our there for dads. He'd technically appreciate anything I make, but obviously I'd still prefer it's something he'd actually like and have some vague use for.

He's not at all into sports or running the bbq (which I gather are the stereotypical dad hobbies Tongue), and he wears a very specific size of clothes so I'd rather stay away from that sort of thing. He occasionally listens to music, and generally prefers southern gospel and musicals (phantom of the opera and les miserables being a couple favorites, and he enjoys both the actual musicals and the movie adaptations of said musicals). He's in his upper 60s by now and is retired (though is still pretty physically active), so anything for the office/etc wouldn't be of much use. He adores our dog (looks like a beagle mix even though he totally isn't Tongue), and a lot of his free time is spent doing various volunteer/teaching work at our church and in helping some of the spanish-speaking members (he has very rusty spanish and there is an actual english teacher involved, but he's still finding plenty of ways to help and is actively working on relearning spanish). I'd thought of maybe coming up with something that could help him with learning spanish like a book or something, but so far I'm drawing a blank on that (he knows the basics of the language and gets a lot of immersion, so he'd have more use for something that helps polish existing language skills than a textbook sort of thing).

I got him some music last year which he appreciated, but he honestly doesn't have a need for any more of a library (though I guess if I stumbled across a spanish audiobook/drama he'd like I might make an exception). Overall, he's more likely to appreciate something that's more or less practical, though something to hang on the wall would also be good since there's still plenty of wall space running around, or something dog-related would probably also go over well.

I'm pretty comfortable doing intermediate knit/crochet stuff (not sure what, but there you go), papercrafting type stuff, or just any random crafty stuff that might theoretically fit his interests. I can sew too though I'm still a bit of a beginner there so I can't sew up anything too elaborate.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BoxOfRocks
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012 02:59:46 PM »

Non-crafty suggestions:

1.  The movie adaptation of the "Les Misrables" musical is coming out Dec. 25.  Perhaps some quality family movie time would work?  Alternatively, there's the "Les Miz" 25th anniversary concert DVD or the "The Phantom of the Opera" 25th anniversary performance DVD.

2.  Spanish language training software, podcast, or book?  Rosetta Stone is a popular brand, although I don't have experience with it myself.

Crafty suggestions:

1.  Messenger bag or satchel to carry personal belongings around between volunteer gigs.  Lighter and less stuffy than the briefcase he may have been toting around in his office days.

2.  Homemade dog treats.

3.  Crocheted or knitted scarf?  Fits in with your skills, relatively quick, and no doubt practical.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Toralune
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012 07:15:21 PM »

Oh wow, I'd completely forgotten about the PotO broadway dvd! Not sure how since my best friend is obsessed with it, but that might actually be a good idea. Cheesy The dog treats idea is another fun one so I'll look into that. Thanks for the ideas. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dunthor
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012 03:39:47 PM »

homemade dog treats with a teach your dog tricks book

or... Rosetta stone software rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...