A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,614
Currently Running With Scissors:
441 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need help with this Mega Man Quilt! Tips on thread please.  (Read 917 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fancypotatoes
« on: November 25, 2012 12:53:32 PM »

I made this quilt top over 2 years ago and thankfully my oldest hasn't disowned me yet because I haven't done anything with it since(he has said that he'd be happy enough to just have it hang on his bedroom wall but I refuse).  First, I should say that I'm a beginner at best.  I've made about 5 baby rag quilts but nothing near the size of this quilt top. 

So my question is what kind of thread or color do you think I should use?  My son wanted planets on the back so there is as much contrast on the back as there is in the front (black with lots of bright colors).  I was thinking about going on the diagonal in both directions but I'm lost on what kind of thread or color I should use.  How hard is it to work with invisible thread and if I use black in the bottom would that show horribly?  Or black on both sides?  Or if I change colors in the middle, how likely will that come undone (I've never quilted like this before and it just seems like it's better to begin and stop at the edge of the quilt top, if that makes sense)?   

Any suggestions would be great (even brands, etc.  I'm a newb)!  Thanks.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/74959606@N08/8216250784/   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RuthieG101
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012 01:42:30 AM »

Firstly, I absolutely love your quilt!

I struggled with using invisible thread so the would be upto you. If it was my project I would quilt by hand.
I would use embroidery thread, and hand sew around the different sections.
I.E, I would use white thread and hand stitch around the whole picture, in-the-ditch, between the black and white sections.
I would then colour match around each section.

If you used the correct colours, you would get a reverse, line drawing on the back, adding a second feature.

I'd weigh up all your options before you decide, and don't worry about how long it's gonna take you as it has been waiting this long, a little while longer isn't gonna matter.

I would love to see it once it is finished!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fancypotatoes
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012 01:31:37 PM »

Thank you!  My husband actually designed it in paint and was uber awesome because he spotted any misplaced squares way before I did.

And thank you so much for your advice.  I'm not sure why but I was really set on going diagonal but I think you're right, in the ditch would be best and surrounded each block as well.  I don't think I have the patience to hand quilt, though.  I envy anyone who does, it's just my least favorite to do.  I also crochet and I always procrastinate weaving in the ends, lol.   

I sent an email yesterday to Pippa (she blogs at pippapatchwork.com) about one of her beautiful quilts that seems similar in color and contrast:

http://pippapatchwork.com/?p=888

And she awesomely emailed me back and told me that she used Aurofil 50 wt cotton in black.  I love that you can hardly see the thread!  And if anyone is interested in her quilt, she told me that Moda asked her to make a pattern for them (AWE-SOME!!).  I'm leaning towards that but I really think what you suggest, with the changing the threads, would be really cool, too.  I think I do need to read up on some tutorials because I'm a bit lost on how you start and stop quilting in the middle, if that makes sense?  I guess you just tie it?  Maybe one color thread would be better for a newb like me.   Undecided 

Getting excited though!  I'm actually getting closer to quilting this baby up!  Thanks again! Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged
takoburrito
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012 12:40:46 PM »

Great work! I love pixelated quilts. First, I wouldn't bother with in the ditch, and I don't have the patience for hand quilting, so I say lower those feed dogs and use your machine.
I would go with a variegated thread in reds & oranges. Maybe even a variegated blue and yellow! I have used King Tut by Superior Threads in a 40wt cotton, with good results. https://www.superiorthreads.com/shop/category/?Brand=King+Tut&Amount=Spools+%28500+yds.%29

I'm quilting right now using a variegated blue by Aurifil in the top, and a red/fuschia/purple poly thread by Mettler in the bobbin. I switch the colors between the sashing and blocks because I love both thread sets.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RuthieG101
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012 02:41:25 AM »

I made a sewing machine cover for my first quilting project.
It was made using the English Paper Piecing technique. It was similar to grandma's garden. 7 hexagons sewn together to make a flower.
I quilted it by hand, around the main hexagons.
My technique may not have been the norm, but it worked for me.

Into a large embroidery hoop, I layered my pieced quilt, a layer of batting, and the back panel in the hoop. I used embroidery thread that was in contrast with the back, but co-ordinated with the front.
I knotted the thread and threaded the needle from the back, to the front. I then pulled gently to bring the knot to the inside. It would then be hidden in the batting. I then did a running stitch around the 'flower'. When the thread was coming to an end, i would knot it as close to the back as possible and then tease it inside.

This is how I did it. I was very very happy with the results. I don't know how I am going to quilt my current project, which is a childs blanket.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fancypotatoes
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012 08:03:54 AM »

Great work! I love pixelated quilts. First, I wouldn't bother with in the ditch, and I don't have the patience for hand quilting, so I say lower those feed dogs and use your machine.
I would go with a variegated thread in reds & oranges. Maybe even a variegated blue and yellow! I have used King Tut by Superior Threads in a 40wt cotton, with good results. https://www.superiorthreads.com/shop/category/?Brand=King+Tut&Amount=Spools+%28500+yds.%29

I'm quilting right now using a variegated blue by Aurifil in the top, and a red/fuschia/purple poly thread by Mettler in the bobbin. I switch the colors between the sashing and blocks because I love both thread sets.

Takoburrito,  question!  Is there any reason you wouldn't quilt in the ditch?  I looooooooove the look of stippling and I WILL one day be awesome at it (I will, I will, I will!) but this would be my first time quilting a non rag quilt and this is about twin/full size.  I'm just so afraid of messing it up! 

RuthieG101, thank you for explaining your method!  I was wondering how you would go about hiding the knots.  I'm just not very talented at sewing by hand, I always prick myself a million times and it always ends up looking very sloppy (I'm usually just sewing on accessories so I've been lucky that I can hide it all underneath).  Good luck on your next project! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a Modern 1950s Poodle Hairstyle
Ashley Greene Goes Blonde
The Modern Chignon Tutorial
Hair Tips: How To Use Dry Shampoo The Right Way
Hair Trend: Edgy Slick Up-Do
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...