A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,163
Currently Running With Scissors:
418 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Has anyone made an X-Acto knife holder?  (Read 700 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

haruhiro

Self-Proclaimed Fruit

View Profile
« on: November 25, 2012 11:36:29 AM »

I just got an X-Acto knife and feel very uncomfortable having the blade poking out of my tool can. (I use an old Almond Roca cylindrical tin for my pens, pencils, scissors, etc, and I don't like the risk of having an upright blade.) I don't want to put it blade-down either, because I fear that may damage the blade.

Styrofoam might work, if I could make a nice little niche for the blade and grip part to slide into.. Any ideas for a holder? :3
THIS ROCKS   Logged
loritab10

*I solemnly swear that I am up to no good*

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012 11:42:33 AM »

This won't help with the one you have now, but I bought an X-Acto recently that retracts into its handle. Smartest thing I've seen!
A leather scrap folded over and secured with a drop of E-6000 or similar glue would be an easy slip-on cover.
More ideas? Let's hear 'em!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I just met you and this is crazy...I'll share my world, share yours maybe? And the loritab10 thing? It's just a pharmacist's joke.
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012 04:22:54 PM »

There was no cap that came with it???

I use old cigar tubes to hold a couple of mine that don't have caps.  If you are worried about the blades, I would say take the blade off the knife and place it flat in some kind of container, like a small candy tin, that is perhaps line with some felt, foam, or whatever to prevent it from banging around and ruining the blade.  Or you could put a strip of magnet in to hold the blade in place.  That would allow for safer transport also as the blade would be fully encased and not likely to slide out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
steiconi
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012 10:46:15 AM »

First off, a dull xacto blade is the most dangerous item in the tool box (I spent an entire afternoon at the ER because I didn't take time to change the blade).  So I buy blades by the hundred.  After working, I usually remove the blade and put it in the disposal slot on the back of the blade carrier.  The carrier can be refilled and the disposal area emptied and blades wrapped for proper disposal.

I have a plastic pencil case with a clasp in which I keep xacto knives and razor blades.  I wrote "SHARPS" on the top.  Putting the knife away in the case makes it easier to find later.

CORKS make great blade protectors.  A scrap of foamcore works well, too. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Boondi Raita
How to Make Eggplant Raita
How to Make Raita
How to Make Plain Raita
Fry Your Paratha
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...