A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,797
Currently Running With Scissors:
775 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New to felting, is it possible to make ridges?  (Read 1022 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jeha
« on: November 25, 2012 08:57:57 AM »

Hi, I just started felting and am having a great time needle felting different kinds of mushrooms. I made a chanterelle and the shape is right but If I could make the characteristic ridges on the underside of the cap and stem, It would be perfect. Here is a picture of a real chanterelle I found for reference.

I was thinking I could try embroidery floss. but I was just wondering if there was a better needle felting technique to create ridges.

Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

P_E_S_T
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Toes wrapped in wool, fingers wrapped in clay

Hanging out in the woods

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013 07:42:30 AM »

I can help you out Smiley there are a number of nifty techniques. But basically on your felting needle at the bottom you have two barbs, (rivets) if you needle felt up to the first one you create a gentle drawing together of the fibres, push in up to the second in one area and you will pull the fibres much closer together and almost draw a line - or the ridges you are wanting to create.

The other way I create ridges is to take thin fishing wire or a see through thread and stitch a number of small running stitches in and out of the piece from top to bottom securing the thread at the top and then leaving the threads hanging at the bottom - so for instance you would probably have about 8 threads about 5mm apart running from top to bottom. When you have stitched them all in, pull the combined threads at the base and you will create the ridges and some interesting curves at the top too. When I can get on my computer I will show you my pumkins which also need the ridges. Hope that's helped x have fun and let me know if h need any more tips x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/kaydensmumm/

LATEST project - I'm compiling a "handed down" recipes boom and so if I get you in a swap, would you be so kind to find a recipe from your childhood. type it up - if you want to decorate, then please do :

There was a woman who felted
And felted all day long
P_E_S_T
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Toes wrapped in wool, fingers wrapped in clay

Hanging out in the woods

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013 07:49:41 AM »

These are my pumpkins - the ridges are made using both using the hard second barb felting and pulling down some running stitches.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/kaydensmumm/

LATEST project - I'm compiling a "handed down" recipes boom and so if I get you in a swap, would you be so kind to find a recipe from your childhood. type it up - if you want to decorate, then please do :

There was a woman who felted
And felted all day long
Harlan

Author of "Needle Felting - to the Point"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013 12:15:50 PM »

Ridges are very possible. Starting with a stem which is medium firmness and at least twice the actual diameter that you want, start needling your ridges - it may make it easier to keep track of the depressions to use a small bit of alternate color fiber to establish your felting lines. Reduce the whole carefully. As the piece is reduce take an Exacto knife and gently slice in the depression between ridges (not too deep)

The reason you want to slice the fiber is lessen the chance that needling in the depression reduces the ridge more than you want. The cuts basically separate the fibers in each ridge giving you greater control. Hope that helps!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You're unique! Just like everyone else!!
Prittens and other needle felted creatures
http://www.flickr.com/photos/prittens/
CraftArtEDU - exception classes from exceptional instructors
Intimate Forest - my oil paintings
http://www.intimateforest.com
http://www.craftedu.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Red Carpet Smokey Eye Look
DIY: Heart Nail Art Tutorial
Karolina Kurkova -- Videofashion Model Profile
6 Tips for Sensitive Skin With Acne
Mally Rancol Creates Clean Makeup Looks for Tracy Reese Show
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...