A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
530 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: shampoo soap bar for dyed hair?  (Read 921 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

erdbeerblau
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: November 24, 2012 07:25:08 PM »

Hello  Smiley

I really want to try shampoo bars, and as I would have to order them online anyways, actually making them sounds intriguing.
I have been wanting to make my own soap for some time, trying to get away from the nasty stuff found in commercial products. While I don't necessarily need everything to be vegan, my recent changes (stopped using products containing silicone, for exampe) are all about using eco-friendly products.
Besides from some Melt&Pour soap some time ago, I have no experience in soap making though, so maybe that whole idea is just stupid?

I have been browsing the Soap-FAQ and some other stuff online, but I was wondering about the specific ingredients:
I have pink hair (read: bleached and using semi-permanent dye) and I am concerned about the soap being more agressive (drying out the already bleached hair and removing a lot more colour than "regular" shampoo)
Maybe I am being paranoid? I would be incredibly thankful for any thoughts and/or tipps regarding ingredients, as there seems a lot of difference in the different recipes/used fats.

Maybe I am overthinking this (or being otherwise stupid), but I would apprechiate any thoughts.
Thanks for reading and have a nice day/night  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Valdorsha

There's no such thing as too many projects.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012 03:59:31 AM »

Regarding shampoo bars and colored hair (mine is partially bleached and purple/plum/gold) I can tell you that they are SUPERIOR to any shampoo made for colored hair on the market, and they are for 2 big reasons:

1) Commercial shampoo all have detergents designed to strip your hair, and that causes color loss as well as damage which causes easy fading. Shampoo bars are gentle and do not strip your hair of the natural oils which protect it. You get clean hair without damage.

2) Commercial shampoos are far more acidic than your hair and scalp appreciate, and high acidity will fade any hair color faster, especially semi-permanent colors because those are usually veg based dyes. Ever give yourself an apple cider vinegar hair rinse with colored hair? It just runs like crazy. Shampoo bars are, by their very makeup, more alkaline which helps your color to stay put.

If it means anything, I colored my hair 4 months ago, and the color is still vibrant and beautiful, and only marginally faded.
I should add though, I only wash my hair once, sometimes twice a week with either a cleansing conditioner (not Wen, but might as well be) or with the occasional shampoo bar, and I gave up normal shampoo a couple years ago. My hair is the absolute healthiest it's ever been in my life, it smells wonderful all throughout, no breakage EVEN with regular bleaching, and my hair doesn't turn into straw haybales after bleaching and coloring. Seriously, after I had been no-poo for about 8 months was the first time I had bleached and dyed it again, and I was floored after washing out the bleach that my hair was soft and shiny. It's a lot tougher than it used to be.

Also, when you start using shampoo bars, you just have to be prepared for a few weeks of very unruly, greasy hair because your hair has to detox from what it's used to, and you have to be prepared and accepting of the difference in feel with the bar. It doesn't lather up like regular shampoo (depending on the recipe, it won't lather at all), and your first inclination is to use more and more and more, and then you'll feel as though your hair didn't really get clean. Add in the first part about the unruly, greasy look of the hair during detox, and this is why a lot of women who attempt to stop using normal shampoo go right back to it.

I can't say enough good things about how good the bars are for colored hair. If you're not making your own, just make sure you pay attention to the ingredients list. I've come across a couple homemade bars that used some really stupid ingredients (we're trying to get away from commercial detergents and soaps here... making a "homemade" shampoo bar using Dial soap as a base is just freaking stupid).

By all means, don't be afraid of soap-making! It just looks intimidating at first, but it's really too much fun and lets you create something personally tailored to your tastes. The hardest part is the initial setup and making sure you have a good space in which to make it. Once you have your supplies in order, it's easy as baking a cake. Then the hardest part is the waiting time for while the soap cures lol. They usually smell so good you just want to cut them up and use them right away!

Hope what I've said here has helped put some of your fears to rest Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bekyip
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012 04:07:12 PM »

Hi I use a shampoo bar I make from the receipe in The homemade soap book. I dye my hair and it has made no difference to the length of time the dye lasts I have been using the shampoo bars for over 18 months. The biggest difference has been how soft my hair is now. When I use  bought shampoo ( e.g when on holiday ) my hair becomes really brittle and dry. I also don't need to wash my hair everyday which I was doing before.
Bek
THIS ROCKS   Logged
erdbeerblau
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012 02:40:31 PM »

valdorsha: thank you so much for taking all that time to answer my question! that's a lot of input  Smiley

I really hope it won't be too much of a difference from the products I'm using now, but you really encouraged me to try making some soap  Grin

and bekyip: thank you very much for your opinion! I really hope this works for me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Art of Turkish Quilting
The Art of Kilim Weaving and Miniature Painting
The Art of Glass and Ceramic Tile Painting
The Art of Turkish Ebru
The Art of Charcoal Drawing
Latest Blog Articles
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...