A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,590
Currently Running With Scissors:
785 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making a magnetic map  (Read 351 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

brokenumbrella
« on: November 24, 2012 03:31:40 AM »

Hello all,

For reasons too complicated to go into I need to make my boyfriend a magnetic map. This is so some counters can be moved around the map and will stay in place.

My dilemma - do I make the ma magnetic, and the counters out of metal? You can get A4 magnetic sheets but I've heard that if you cut them, it compromises their magnetic-ness, and I need the ma to be less than A4.

Or, do I use little magnets for the counters, and back the map with some kind of sheet of metal - if so, what would be thin and lightweight enough?

Thanks to anyone who read this far Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012 06:04:35 AM »

I think a cool solution would be to get a piece of galvanized sheet steel, probably from the ducting section of a hardware store, and paint or transfer the map to that. You can transfer an image using the duct tape method or the mod podge method, and then paint the map. Or you can use an overhead projector (a laser copier can print onto the clear sheet you'll need) to get the outline before painting. If you use permanent marker to outline and colour the map, a sealant would be unnecessary.

You could also adhere a paper copy of the map, coloured by hand or not, directly to the sheet metal with some spray glue and then either mod podge or a spray sealant of some kind on top of the paper to give it a shiny finish (over time, the magnetic counters would slowly degrade the surface of the paper, otherwise). I know there are people who will say "just mod podge the map directly" but frankly, 3M's Super 77 spray glue is so super awesome, everyone should own a can. If you click "product information," over on the left, you'll see the product description states it sticks to paper AND metal Cheesy (not affiliated with 3M in any way, just really impressed with this particular product)

Just out of curiosity, is this for a strategic table top game?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Turkey Sandwich Recipe
Southern-Favorite Hummingbird Cookies Recipe
Crock Pot Chili Con Carne Recipe
The Best Barbecue Dishes from the South Beach Wine and Food Festival
Classic Deli Reuben Sandwich Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...