A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,215
Currently Running With Scissors:
688 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Traditional Alfredo Sauce- Only Two Ingredients  (Read 1308 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sita108
« on: November 22, 2012 08:48:35 PM »

I usually start making dinner once I am already hungry, so I like to make food that is quick, uses very few pots and has very few ingredients.  I also love to eat alfredo sauce.  Until recently I didn't think it was possible to have both...

That is, until I learned that the alfredo we get on our pasta in restaurants these days isn't actually the original version of the sauce, and that the original version... only has two ingredients! 

Here is a super simple way to make this sauce for any pasta you are making.  It doesn't take any extra pots and it only needs a few ingredients.  You can also customize this sauce very easily for whatever taste you like. 

What You Need:

- Pasta of choice (I used spaghetti here because that's all we had, but of course fettuccine would be best.)
- Cheese of choice (Traditionally this sauce uses parmigiana, but I've also used cheeses like pepper jack when that's all I had.)
- A couple tablespoons of butter
- Seasoning of choice (I like to keep it simple, with some salt, pepper and basil.)
- Any add-ins you like (As you can see in the picture above, I used fresh spinach.)

What To Do:

Cook your pasta al dente (it will continue cooking while making the sauce).  Scoop out a cup of the starchy pasta water and set aside.  Strain your pasta (but don't worry about shaking out excess water, you want the water).  Return the pasta to your original pot, and put it on your burner on the lowest heat possible.  Add the butter and a little bit of the pasta water.  Begin adding your cheese of choice, and toss the pasta until it is coated.  You will want to add cheese slowly so that it is able to melt properly.  If the cheese is melting too thick and you want more sauce, add some more pasta water, then add more cheese. 

Now your sauce is done!  Go ahead and add any add-ins or seasoning you like.  Just remember that with most cheeses you won't want to add very much salt.  (That's why it's good to wait on seasoning until the end.)

Wasn't that easy?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elariane
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012 11:51:30 PM »

nice, i'll be making that when i want something hot for lunch next
Thank-you
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Speks
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012 11:34:25 AM »

This will be my dinner tonight! Looks delicious.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
manja_is
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013 11:11:52 PM »

OHhhh i think i am going to try this tonight for dinner

Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tomico
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013 08:52:58 AM »

Originally, I thought alfredo sauce had to have heavy cream, but you are right it started out as only butter and cheese. It seems that there are many variations on the dish, you could use a cream cheese and milk with other types of herbs, meat and vegetables or you could thicken a sauce with heavy cream with egg or a starch. I had been making the original style as a throw together meal for ages and had not known it was an alfredo. Thanks for the recipe and inadvertently the history lesson I had when I did a little digging.

Tomico
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Reflectors
How to Create Composition with the Rule of Thirds
Discover the World Press Photo Exhibit
How to Understand the Depth Of Field in Digital Photos
How to Zoom in On Your Photographic Subject
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...