A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,189
Currently Running With Scissors:
405 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Recycled Sweater Coat: An intense experiment  (Read 12034 times)
Tags for this thread: sweater_recon , coat , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lidehtium
« on: November 21, 2012 07:26:49 PM »

So.. I went to Value Village when they had their 50% off sale, and bought a ridiculous amount of brown sweaters. 2 days, a few spools of thread and 3 garbage bags of scraps later I have this.

I'm immensely proud of how it came out for me just winging pretty much the whole thing, and I understand now why people sell these for several hundred dollars. If it wasn't for the 50% off sale this would have cost me over $100 just for supplies! Not to mention the time dedicated to making it.

I don't quite know what I'll do with this. Part of me finds it really comfy and strange and snug, and the other part of me is like 'Is this even your style? Why are you wearing this?' I think I'm getting too used to the fancy dress code of one of my jobs.

Comments and critiques are more than welcome, and I have some extra info on my blog if you're interested. Smiley

(Edit: I showed it to my boss a picture and he loved it, so I can wear it to work! I dont know why I worried, he's a designer and its his boutique/fabric store so we all wear handmade stuff.. Im just crazy I guess Tongue)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012 05:38:28 PM by lidehtium » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Breegy
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Craft On!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012 08:26:22 PM »

This is so awesome, and I'm completely jealous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jennifer Hodges

I am an art teacher and mom of two!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012 08:39:10 PM »

I love this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jennifer Hodges
"Paris is always a good idea."--Sabrina
Kitsune-Tearz
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012 09:10:16 PM »

I love these, if i had a serger i would totally make one, I work at value village, so I get the clothes half off any day... working sale days sucks though lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
manuelamage
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012 11:56:01 PM »

Smiley You are a very creative person whom I seriously envy  Wink ! beautiful dress, and if you don't like it, I'm a social worker out of work so feel free to pass it on to me... Cheesy seriously, you are a wonderfully talented and creative craftswoman/ designer. Do not ever belittle yourself, and the dresses that you claim you think are better to wear to you  highfalutin job are no better. They are mass made by machines or women paid less than a dollar a day. It takes one creative person to design all the clothes you think you have to wear to the office. been there, done that. But you are the person at the creative end and be proud of it. You might not wear that dress to work (I would and I would get a gazillion compliments) but everywhere else, that is an awesome beautifully crafted piece of art! be proud! You're a true artist. Thank you for sharing such a beautiful piece of art. You should visit the Smithsonian sometime and be blown away by women's creativity before mass marketing. Keep on keeping on!!! Happy Thanksgiving
Manuela Mage Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FruityLoops

... and that's why I don't like cricket

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012 03:17:07 AM »

Oh wow, that's fabulous, I love it!! :-D
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012 05:20:11 AM »

Beautiful and I would wear that in a heartbeat! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012 07:11:47 AM »

Great job, I love how the lower half looks.  The whole coat looks fantastic on you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
lovesclutter

Nothing is safe in its native form.

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012 08:35:50 AM »

So hitting this rocks and pinning. Keep it. WEAR IT PROUD.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
Alexus1325
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012 10:02:07 AM »

Friggin' EH!

That is so awesometasticness, you should totally wear it every opportunity you have! Seriously, if one of your fancy-work co-workers asks about it, just say "I made this, but you can get one from so-and-so on Etsy for about $XXX." That WILL impress the s**t out of anyone who asks. (Er, or they'll mutter to themselves about a waste of money Tongue)

About your specific coat, though, I ADORE how you did the hood! This has been on my list of things to make for sooooo long, and you NAILED IT!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dfabbric

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012 11:09:46 AM »

I love it and I'm not sure I understand why it's not you. Stylish is stylish, besides you work to live, not live to work so there are lots of other times to wear if not to work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ak_activist
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012 03:45:06 AM »

This is simply stunning!  I have wanted one of these sweater-coat monstrosities for a while now and have just never been able to justify the cost of it [living in Alaska is not helpful to the wallet - it keeps telling me "No means no!"  Roll Eyes]  but I could easily see myself buying something as beautiful as your sweater coat...  Do you have a rough idea of how you made it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lidehtium
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2012 05:36:25 AM »

This is simply stunning!  I have wanted one of these sweater-coat monstrosities for a while now and have just never been able to justify the cost of it [living in Alaska is not helpful to the wallet - it keeps telling me "No means no!"  Roll Eyes]  but I could easily see myself buying something as beautiful as your sweater coat...  Do you have a rough idea of how you made it?

I just winged it for the most part, but there is a crazy video on youtube that I watched first to get an idea of how many panels to cut and which parts to do first.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wC8vu2BoBE
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Roxee
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2012 07:31:56 AM »

This is so cool! I totally dig this style. Love the colors, they all match pretty good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PetraDae
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2012 01:59:03 PM »

Grin I absolutely love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SmcNesby
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2012 06:20:25 AM »

Beautiful! I actually ended up purchasing one of these last year -- I did the math on the supplies (at my local thrifts, anyway) and the time, and realized the price was a bargain : )
You did an amazing job -- and saved a few hundred dollars, too, nice work!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2012 07:44:43 AM »

I'm so impressed. This is gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
kimosabe001
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2012 10:07:22 AM »

So beautiful! Tempted to make a trip to a thrift store and make one of my own!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2012 07:10:58 AM »

This is probably one of the nicest sweater jackets I've ever seen.  Often I don't like them, but this one I love.  Amazing work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RissaSan
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2012 09:21:31 AM »

Beautiful coat dear!

If you guys are interested in learning how to make a coat very easily yourself, and also learning a ton of fabulous history about the *ORIGINAL* inventor and creator of this style coat, Katwise, you should head over to her etsy and purchase her $9 PDF tutorial. Full instructions on how to do what she does, including what kinds of sweaters you should use or not use and beautiful pictures from her travels all over the world and how making her coats made it possible. I know Craftster doesn't like advertising type stuff in their messages but it is sort of a Sad to see folks replicating Katwise's hard work and years of trial and error without knowing anything about her. So check it out! I'm not associated with her at all, btw, just a friendly credit giving elf Wink

http://www.etsy.com/listing/51671324/katwise-tutorial-black-and-white-stiped?ref=sr_gallery_3&ga_search_query=katwise+tutorial&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=all
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012 09:22:29 AM by RissaSan » THIS ROCKS   Logged

♥ Hate is easy, love takes courage ♥
lidehtium
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2012 05:50:27 PM »

Do it! It was so easy and much fun to do.

Beautiful coat dear!

If you guys are interested in learning how to make a coat very easily yourself, and also learning a ton of fabulous ...

I know who she is, but since it was not her work that inspired me I saw no need to mention who she is. I understand you wanting to give her credit, but I think you could have made your comment in a less advertisy way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2012 03:07:52 AM »

That is really beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  
I'm a shepherd and have raw fleece.  PM me if you want to swap for some.

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read all about it here
Ivy Mae
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2013 03:49:07 AM »

That is so awesome! It looks so warm and snuggly too. I have to catch trains early most mornings and in winter I freeze standing on the platforms, but one of these would be perfect! And as a plus, other passengers might think I'm a tad crazy and leave me to commute in peace Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For a long time, she flew only when she thought no one else was watching.
SHELIAANN1969
Crazy 4 Crafting!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2013 06:07:56 PM »

You did a beautiful job!

How many sweaters did it take?

Do you have any tips?

I have been looking at all of the sweater coats on Etsy and they are lovely, I bought about 60 sweaters for $1 each, I divided them by colors and like colors and I have about 15 blue, 8-10 white, 3-4 black, 4-5 tans, 6-7 red, 6-7 pink, a couple purple, 3-4 green and one rusty orange and a yellow.

I can get more when Goodwill changes their tag color, but it's hit and miss with the color selection.

I am going to wash everything up in a few days and start, I am totally hyped, those coats are so beautiful. Smiley

Any pointers at all would be appreciated. Smiley

Also, do these coats open all the way in the front? Meaning, from top to bottom? Some of them look like they go over the head.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013 06:15:31 PM by SHELIAANN1969 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Brynns Mom
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2013 04:51:27 PM »

UNREAL!  I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RissaSan
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2013 12:17:21 PM »

Do it! It was so easy and much fun to do.

Beautiful coat dear!

If you guys are interested in learning how to make a coat very easily yourself, and also learning a ton of fabulous ...

I know who she is, but since it was not her work that inspired me I saw no need to mention who she is. I understand you wanting to give her credit, but I think you could have made your comment in a less advertisy way.

I'm sorry, but Katwise really is the person who came up with the whole upcycled, sweater coat with swingy skirt thing - there are hundreds of imitators who began copying her when she started selling online rather than in the lots of a Grateful Dead concert. She's spent decades developing her design. Not only that - but you're getting questions on how you made it, and Katwise wrote a tutorial with tons of really helpful information on exactly how to make it so that it lasts and lasts. She did this so that it was a fair playing field for everyone. I'd be curious to see who inspired you, but honestly, it's her design - do you think they weren't "inspired" by her? Smiley ALSO, the video you linked to that you found on youtube? That IS Katwise - that video is an add on helper to her PDF tutorial. So how can you say you weren't inspired by her designs? Her video is what you watched to learn how to put it together!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013 12:39:36 PM by RissaSan » THIS ROCKS   Logged

♥ Hate is easy, love takes courage ♥
lidehtium
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2013 04:58:15 PM »

How many sweaters did it take?

Do you have any tips?

I used the better part of 8 sweaters. All the ones I used were knit or something like it so it was a little difficult but those were my only options.

Because of the weight of the sweater use the strongest and best fitting sweater as the actual main sweater piece. Mine hangs a little/stretches a bit if its not closed properly.

Mine opens all the way down the front, I guess it all depends what you're looking for. It has buttons but I mostly cross it over in the front and use the ties to hold it up. I can imagine you could use zippers or whatever you want.  When you're making it if you have any questions let me know!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SHELIAANN1969
Crazy 4 Crafting!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2013 08:58:26 PM »

Thank you! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Forteisbest
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2013 09:58:06 PM »

Aw it's fabulous. Cheesy  It's like, medieval or Skyrim-ish.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SHELIAANN1969
Crazy 4 Crafting!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2013 08:06:44 PM »

I am a little bit boggled by the fact that you feel the need to call someone out twice on their own creation. I have seen all kinds of reconstructed, upcycled goods and I am sure Katwise did come up with her own style (her flair and colors and style is a LOT different than anyone elses I have seen) but so is a lady who makes what she calls *Frankensweaters* and sells on Etsy, her style is unique, you can look at each coat/sweater/garment and see the difference in style.

I am sure that during the depression people took parts of one thing and made it another, and then again, the whole SteamPunk thing, that is a mix of many things thrown together that end up working.  So, is Katwise *really* the inventor of tearing up clothes and sewing them together to make a functional garment? I think not. Look at the Mad Max movies, those clothes are wild and many of them are many parts of other garments all patched together.

Nobody *has* to say *X inspired me*, this isn't Etsy or Ebay and nothing is for sale, the creator of this coat is showing us her work and I think it is a lovely garment, has it's own style and pizazz, you can look at it and see that this is her own style and nobody elses.

This isn't a pissing match, it's a craft forum where people can show the things they made and give and receive tips from other crafters. I think you're being really rude to lidehtium and I can't see any good reason for it.  Huh Honestly, we're here to uplift and encourage each other not to say that everyone is a copy cat and a liar. (because really, NOTHING is new or unique!)  

Also, repeatedly saying that someone is basically stealing someones idea and not giving them credit (which isn't the case here) is not the spirit of Craftster and trying to redirect people to *BUY* someone tutorial is really uncalled for and unnecessary. I knew there were tutes out there, there is another lady on Etsy who sells tutes for the same coats and they come with pattern pieces for $10.

As per the linked video, lidehtium said she did a search for tutorials and it came up, saying Katwise is the *original* inventor of upcycled clothing is like saying Goodyear is the original inventor of the wheel.

I'm sorry, but Katwise really is the person who came up with the whole upcycled, sweater coat with swingy skirt thing - there are hundreds of imitators who began copying her when she started selling online rather than in the lots of a Grateful Dead concert. She's spent decades developing her design. Not only that - but you're getting questions on how you made it, and Katwise wrote a tutorial with tons of really helpful information on exactly how to make it so that it lasts and lasts. She did this so that it was a fair playing field for everyone. I'd be curious to see who inspired you, but honestly, it's her design - do you think they weren't "inspired" by her? Smiley ALSO, the video you linked to that you found on youtube? That IS Katwise - that video is an add on helper to her PDF tutorial. So how can you say you weren't inspired by her designs? Her video is what you watched to learn how to put it together!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013 06:38:18 PM by SHELIAANN1969 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Brynns Mom
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2013 10:26:38 AM »

Agreed! Excellent post.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
VenusInFurs
Lady Day

Time may change me, but I can't trace time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2013 10:53:29 AM »

Love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my website...I post tutorials and recipes!
Lrigrem

<3 HP, Twilight, Halloween

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2013 10:38:34 AM »

This isn't a pissing match, it's a craft forum where people can show the things they made and give and receive tips from other crafters. I think you're being really rude to lidehtium and I can't see any good reason for it.  
Also, repeatedly saying that someone is basically stealing someones idea and not giving them credit (which isn't the case here) is not the spirit of Craftster and trying to redirect people to *BUY* someone tutorial is really uncalled for and unnecessary.

Ding ding ding! Also, putting smiley faces into comments like that doesn't actually make them happy little comments.  Also also, the first sweater coat I ever saw was NOT Katwise - so my personal inspiration to create a sweater coat does NOT come from her.  Maybe she's who inspired my inspiration, or whatever, but I don't always know that. The OP said much the same.

And to the OP, I love this sweater.  Really great colors, and I agree that the hood is just done PERFECTLY!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ask a Gentern who they prefer, ten out of nine will say "The Pavi!" <3 Oghr!
Repo! The Genetic Opera R3 Swap
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=401054.0

http://pinterest.com/lrigrem/
RoseE
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2013 08:16:54 PM »

Lovely creation.  
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013 05:09:38 PM by TheSapphireMoon » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jillinamillion
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2013 03:33:43 PM »

Gorgeous coat! And it looks so snuggly! Great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thecrittercloset
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2013 08:01:18 AM »

I love these, if i had a serger i would totally make one, I work at value village, so I get the clothes half off any day... working sale days sucks though lol

There is a pattern/tutorial for sale on etsy.com for this coat...... and she shows how to make this type of coat without a serger!  here is the shop link http://www.onwillowlane.etsy.com   just letting you all know!  im gonna make a coat using her pattern
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
That Awkward Moment Junket
The Nut Job
American Hustle Interviews
Zombies Help Kids Learn Movie Making
Sherry Lansing: The Role of a Studio Head
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...