A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,114
Currently Running With Scissors:
386 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Different pillows for different pals: pincushions, lantern, Belle & Warehouse 13  (Read 1215 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Calabaza
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

It's a long story.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 21, 2012 04:39:30 PM »

Every year I get an idea for handmade Christmas presents and every year I think "Oh, I'll just do those in December" and every year I end up nabbing stuff from the store or cobbling something completely different together on New Year's Eve. Not so this year! Here it is Thanksgiving Eve and I'm all finished except for the wrapping, and thats even done for 1 of these 4 pillows! Here they are:

This pillow, unfortunately, reminded me why dont often quilt. This paper-pieced pattern of old-fashioned pincushions jumped out at me and I wanted to give it a shot. I got on a bit of a roll after the one below but am now back in my place. Quilters, please dont look closely! I think my friend will like it, though. It closes with a center back invisible zipper because I didnt want to risk all those little paper-pieced seams getting mauled by a seam-ripper or making the zipper hard to zip. Problems avoided.

The one that started it all:

A lantern pillow based on this quilt pattern for one who loves all things Japanese. My friend can be quite sophisticated so the back is solid black. It closes on the side with an invisible zipper (my favorite kind).

For the one who loves Disneys Beauty and the Beast a Belle pillow! It is not quilted. She really loves the movie so I hope shes able to recognize what this is. There are many, many variations of this dress, even on Disney products! I used the dress in the movie as my inspiration and added the roses because it needed this is Belles dress advertising. The neckline in lighter yellow is curved to give more shape and tacked down so it doesnt flip up. It ties in the back and closes with a center invisible zipper. See?

The above giftees and I all hang out together, more or less, but this next pillow is for someone Ive been friends with since preschool. We get together for TV/movie nights and are currently watching Warehouse 13. Warning: Mild spoilers ahead.

The Studio 54 disco ball with wooden crate background. The zipper has a Studio 54 logo pull. She found this artifact really funny so I had to run with it. This tutorial on appliquing circles was very helpful. I modified it by slipping a circle of poster board between the interfacing and fabric to keep the ball round while fusing to the crate.

The back fabric is meant to allude to why the disco ball is in the warehouse and Lewis Carrolls mirror. Of course, what kind of friend would I be if I just handed her an artifact?

As you can see in the bottom right square, a mylar emergency blanket turned neutralizing gift bag will do the trick! Let me tell you: Mylar really is tough! The stuff does not tear unless you cut it. I put it though its paces. Whether or not it can be ironed, I dont know, but my iron doesnt want to find out the hard way. The pic above it is the zipper pull.

And here they all are together:

Eclectic, huh? I know they arent perfect, but I think theyre going to be well-liked. Present-exchange anxiety is worse than swap anxiety! Do any of you have that problem?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cankle

I'm a piece of work.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012 06:00:18 PM »

I love how different, yet awesome, they all are! Great job and I'm so impressed that you're done by Thanksgiving Eve!
 Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
StickerChic87
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012 06:28:21 PM »

Great job C! They are all super cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bananaleg
Will Knit For Tattoos... or Airfare

ahonui, lokahi, 'aka'aka

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012 10:25:24 PM »

Gasp! Belle! I never knew i needed a Belle cushion until now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest | etsy | blog

Can i knit you something in seed stitch? I'd love to swap you for: handspun yarn, hand carved banana stamp...
sewmess

Even Mini crafts!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012 08:51:40 AM »

I love being able to make personalized things for friends.  The whole story behind the mirror ball pillow took time to expain to us, but your friend should react immediately.

And I wouldn't worry about the Belle pillow...before I read I look at the pictures and the immediate thought there was, "Oh look, a Belle pillow.  Cute."

Great job and I wish my invisible zippers were as neat as yours.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Reclaiming my Crafting heritage one stitch at a time.
Calabaza
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

It's a long story.

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012 09:07:40 AM »

Oh, thank you so much, you guys! You made me feel a lot more secure about giving these as gifts.
@sewmess and bananaleg: I'm glad you recognized and liked the Belle pillow!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SneakyFoxeh
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012 12:17:21 PM »

Love the Belle pillow!  It's cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Aliya King Discusses Her Book Platinum
Author Laurie Anderson Reveals Her Previous Jobs
Who George Hamilton Admires the Most
Robert Harris Discusses His Book Imperium
Scott Dikkers Talks About Destined for Destiny
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...