A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,784
Currently Running With Scissors:
644 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Copy right question  (Read 982 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: November 21, 2012 12:41:24 PM »

What is the rule on selling crafts based on movies, books, chartoons etc. if I make a doll the is the likeness of something from a movie, can I sell it? What about patterns from a book. Can I make it and sell it?

Chris in VT
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012 04:33:39 PM »

It's a fine line. NEVER use any image or character from any movie (especially Disney) without written permission. Don't draw a Mickey Mouse and try to sell it. Disney will destroy you. They are extremely protective of their properties.

"Don't mess with the Mouse."

Patterns from a book? Look to see if the author has any statements in the book regarding the personal or commercial use of the patterns.

There's NOTHING at a craft show, or on Etsy, anybody NEEDS. NOTHING.
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012 08:09:45 AM »

To the first question: that isn't a copyright issue, it's a trade mark issue.  If you make a Mickey Mouse doll, Disney can easily say that you selling that doll means they lose a sale of one of their Mickey Mouse dolls, and you don't have a leg to stand on.

As for the patterns, opinions differ.  I'm not sure what the actual law is - people have very strong opinions on both sides.  Personally, I don't see how a finished item is copyright infringement of a written pattern, but people do.

In both cases, your best bet is to come up with your own designs, then make and sell those.

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012 09:22:57 AM »

The movie/book/cartoon thing - forget it. Those folks CLEARLY put in the effort/spent dough over time to get their characters to the head of the merchandise line. If anybody complains that they're getting sued - they deserve it.

Pattern makers - well, they're in the business to sell patterns, not stuffed frogs or whatever the pattern is for. They did not invent crochet or sewing or any of that - taking a pattern and "changing 3 things" to "make it your own"... bull! It's just the same-old-same-old recycled techniques over and over and over again. You can find everything "new" in an old book somewhere, honestly. Now, if you make up a set of characters or a mythical land, give them names, and sell a line of pattern products based on that land/character(s), that could be a different story. But a random this, that, and the other thing in pattern form does not show any strength of purpose to claim rights over finished projects.

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012 05:58:05 PM »

thanks for clearing that up for me guys!

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Stunning Timelapse of Dense Fog Clouds Rolling Over Chicago
A Funeral for Blue Eye
Filming and Editing Tech Videos
Walter Mosley Talks Adapting Books to Films
That Awkward Moment Junket
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kindling Bundle
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters
@Home This Weekend: Rustic Wreath

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...