A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 298,747
Currently Running With Scissors:
668 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Yarn threads unraveling  (Read 3774 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Rae_Regenbogen
« on: November 19, 2012 01:25:46 PM »

Hi all,

I have a strange problem with my current crochet project. While crocheting, my yarn began to twist and unravel as I worked. I've tried re-twisting it together and twirling it around my finger to keep the strings held tightly together, but this only results in the yarn becoming more unraveled lower down.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Normally, I'm a knitter, and I've never had this problem on a knitting project. This seems to always happen when I crochet though. The yarn I'm using for my current project is slowly but surely becoming impossible to work with.

Does anyone have suggestions for me?

Thanks,
Rae
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012 12:40:36 PM »

I think I read somewhere that by being twisted in a certain direction, a yarn is better for either knitting or crochet (assuming right-handedness). *shrug* No idea about the veracity of that statement, but it had to do with learning to spin your own yarn for a specific project in order to give the yarn certain qualities to maximize the awesomeness of said project (or something...).

I've had a couple yarns do the twisty dance on me while knitting, but that was due to the way it was balled up. The yarn had been untwisted by being balled in the wrong orientation. I had to un-ball it and re-ball it the opposite way, or if it was a big ball I would unwind a bunch, use a knitting needle to hold the yarn in place on the ball, stand up and spin it tight again. I almost never ball my yarn, I get it that way from the thrift store.

I don't recall it ever happening with a crochet project, but it could be the same issue.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LadybugsAndBumblebees
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012 01:59:23 PM »

I've noticed the yarns unraveling a lot more now than I have in the past.  It seems to be mostly with the "softer" yarns, but happens with the acrylics as well.  I have no solution for you, unfortunately.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl

You can call me Queen Bee!
Or, Ladybug Girl, if you'd prefer.
Eamea
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012 04:49:49 PM »

Luckily I've never had this happen.  I wonder if you started from the other end of the yarn if it would unravel as much?  I have no idea if this would actually work, but it's all I can think of.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's one in every family, and I'm an only child.
Rae_Regenbogen
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012 11:44:10 PM »

I am using acrylic yarn, and quite honestly, I hope it's just a strange yarn issue. This is because I'm not sure I have enough sanity left to unball the yarn and roll it again. My most hated part of crocheting and knitting is balling yarn! However, the idea that I could be crocheting from the wrong end of the yarn is absolutely an interesting idea, and it does seem to make sense. I crochet strangely; I insert my hook in from the back of the stitch instead of from the front of the stitch (as if I'm purling in knitting). Some crafty friends of mine keep trying to help me fix my crocheting method, but for some reason, anytime I insert the hook into the front of the stitch, my pattern comes out with the wrong side facing me. So the idea that this is causing my yarn to act as if it's spun "backwards" does make sense.

Maybe once I've completed this section of my project, I'll see what can be done about both my crocheting style and my yarn issues.

Until then, I'll just try to hang onto the small shred of sanity I have remaining!

Thanks for the help, fellow craftsters!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KerrAvonsen
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012 12:21:31 AM »

You are not alone! I have run into this problem too. I think it has to do with the combinbation of:
1. The particular yarn
2. The direction of the twist of the yarn.
3. The direction of one's crochet stitch.

I'm left-handed, and I've found that some types of crochet yarn become un-twisted when I crochet with them left-handed. I have two methods of dealing with this:

a) twist the yarn with my hand just before I do a stitch, to counter the un-twisting before it happens
b) do the crochet right-handed

Either of these are annoying to have to do, though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hooks4love
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013 07:24:47 AM »

I have noticed that when I pull yarn from the inside of the skein that it tends to unravel, so I always work with the exposed end of the yarn and unwind it as I go.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Retwist Dreads
How to Plait Hair
How to Flat Iron Black Hair
How to French Braid
How to Style Hair with Wax
Latest Blog Articles
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...