A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,492
Currently Running With Scissors:
546 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Some of my newer cakes & goodies - pic HEAVY!  (Read 876 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fluffypants
« on: November 18, 2012 09:28:17 PM »

I wanted to put some of my newer baking adventures all in one spot, so here goes!

Brown & blue wedding cake: made for my friend's wedding, this cake was a chocolate cake with peanut butter mousse in between the layers. It was covered in chocolate ganache before adding the sides, which are slabs of chocolate that I poured, then drizzled blue chocolate over.

Fantasy flower cake: so called because that's what those flowers are called! This was a super moist vanilla cake with cookies n' cream filling, and vanilla buttercream. The flowers and butterflies are gumpaste.

Moominmama cake: One of my favourite book series is the Moomin series by Tove Jannson. They're wonderful books with adorable characters. This cake was lemon, with lemon curd filling, and vanilla buttercream. Moominmama was done as a royal icing runout, as were the shapes around the bottom of the cake.

Tim's Cake: A friend of mine requested my help with a birthday cake for her pilot boyfriend. She knew she wanted a plane and something video-gamey on it, but that was all! She cut out stars with my tiny cutters and made lumas (the stars with eyes) for hours on end, while I made the rest of the cake. Once it was together, I piped the clouds and we filled in the stars. The propellor is missing in this photo - whoops. The cake was vanilla, dyed yellow and blue and done in a checkerboard pan. If I remember right, it was frosted in vanilla buttercream. The plane and stars are a 50/50 mix of fondant and gumpaste.

A simpler cake, learning how to make pinecones and poinsettias with buttercream. This cake was another chocolate cake with peanut butter mousse, but also had chopped up peanut butter cups between the layers.

And some cupcake fun!

Strawberry lemonade cupcakes: Looked great but the frosting went as hard as butter in the fridge (and also tasted that way. Blech!).

Mini red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting:

Chocolate cupcakes with caramel filling, caramel cream cheese frosting, and Skor bits. The circles on top were done by rolling out microwaved Kraft caramels, cutting with a cookie cutter, and piping the outlines and letters in chocolate.

Strawberry cupcakes: probably the only times I've used a box mix in the past 3 years - I was in a massive rush to get these done for a baby shower. They're simple, but I thought they were cute!

I got this one out of the book "Hello Cupcake" - needed a Thanksgiving idea! They were ridiculously sweet and while adorable, I'm not sure I'd make them again. The pile of frosting under the turkey was a bit much!

And I'll finish off with some cookies! This was one of my first attempts doing flooded cookies (and it's one of the oldest baking projects here!) I think I did these about 2 years ago. I hadn't quite learned the art of letting the outlines dry completely before adding the colour, hence the mushrooms looking a bit like they're wearing mascara. Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012 01:49:07 AM »

WOW, great work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
mama24boyz
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

AND1GIRL!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012 08:50:06 AM »

All your cakes and cupcakes look yummy!!  And beautiful, and I had to say I remember those cookies!! They were a huge hit and quite yummy!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I absolutely love love quilts, do you think an afghan is a fair trade for a quilt? I'd love to swap!
Etsy
Pinterest
Mamas Creations on Facebook
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Classic Bouncing Putty
How to Make Blue Playdough
How to Make Fake Blood with Golden Syrup
How to Make a Fake Mustache
How to Make Green Playdough
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...