At the end of September DH and I went to Walt Disney World on vacation. I had been using my old vacation bag for daily use and it was a bit worse for the wear. So I thought I'd make a new one. And then procrastinated so I ended up finishing it up the night before we left.
I knew what I needed: many interior pockets, crossbody, a place for sunscreen or water bottle, and at least one outside pocket for the tickets.
This is what I came up with:
A nice basic square with a long strap (the pin was added on the trip) the front pocket, that little one, was the one for the tickets. On the back was a bigger pocket, just about the right size for a regular sized piece of paper quad folded, which I now use for coupons.
I had some hardware that I'd picked up on clearance a while back and the fabric is from my stash: the black is a canvass/duck type and the lining is some vintage that I got from my mom when she was destashing and the zipper was picked up at a thrift store.
Speaking of the lining...I think I either mismeasured or sewed the wrong seam allowance, because it did not fit correctly. It's very loose, unlike most of my linings. Did I mention that I was actually putting the whole thing together the night before we left?
Anyway: interior pockets: my first inset zipper pocket and a regular pocket.
I made the sides big enough to theoretically put an ID pocket. The plan was an elastic holder for the water bottle on one side and the ID pocket on the other side. And so I did...except I put the ID pocket on the lining bottom...which gave me this:
I put the insurance cards in it to have them handy, safe, but out of the way.
The bits I'm most proud of are the strap (sturdy, straight and perfect length) and the topstitching. It's all purple and inspired by the grandest of all Disney Villians. . .Maleficent.
It's in daily use now: the big main pocket can fit a paperback book, my wallet, my organizer and my sunglasses as well as the hand santizer.
Comments and suggestions thankfully recieved.