A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,579
Currently Running With Scissors:
448 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cake with a geode and succulents! (and the sad story behind it:))  (Read 1346 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

p.kok
« on: November 17, 2012 09:54:19 AM »

My mothers boyfriend (or whatever they are called at that age;) ) celebrated his 60th birthday and I really wanted to bake and decorate a cake for him. He is really into mineralogy so i knew I will decorate it with that theme in mind. But let's start with the backing...
He doesn't eat sugar for health reasons and his daughter doesn't eat egg yolks for allergy reasons so the cake had to be sugar free and yolk free. I made the first batch (with a recipe I just made up) of batter very carefully with apple sauce, and yoghurt and agave syrup, adding beaten egg whites and flour gradually,.... but well, it ended up looking like two giant pancakes Smiley then I tried making swiss meringue butter cream with agave and that also didn't work out. So I just added some flour and random stuff to it and baked another cake, which turned out pretty well Smiley Then I tried making another batch of SMBT, but it also went south. I was pretty frustrated at that point, so i just added some thawed blueberries and mixed everything together (it didn't look very appetising at all, kinda like vomit... Wink), and spread it on the cake. (luckily, I din't take any pictures before the decorating part, it wasn't pretty:)). But the cake held together...

I could decorate with fondant, since you can just peel it off and don't eat it. The cake wasn't a really good base for covering with fondant, but it was OK and stones aren't that even anyway.... I made some gum paste and made succulents out of it. It's so easy and I loved making them (another funny thing that happened- my dog ate like 5 of them when they were drying... ). I wish I had some petal dust to make them look more realistic, but I'm still pretty happy with the result. I also made a geode, which, in my opinion turned out awesome:) Mums boyfriend really liked it, although he said that if you find geodes that are blue in a store, Brazilians probably coloured them:) I also added some candis sugar (i don't know if you have that in other parts of the world) to look like crystals. I wanted to make rock candy, but I still have 4 glasses of coloured sugar syrup in the kitchen, waiting to crystallize:)).

But in the end, I was really happy with the result and everyone liked it. It even tasted good! I just don't know what to do with all the egg yolks in my fridge (17 Cheesy)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012 09:58:46 AM »

Wow, that looks amazing! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  
I'm a shepherd and have raw fleece.  PM me if you want to swap for some.

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read all about it here
TroubleT
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

No try, just do.

I'm the Irish Latina Ninja!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012 12:23:00 PM »

I was a rock hound when I was younger so I LOVE those geodes! Cheesy

Great work p.kok!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
p.kok
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012 05:56:15 AM »

Thank you! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rossi
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012 06:18:37 AM »

You did a fantastic job. That is a totally cool and creative cake. What a lucky guy to receive it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
g33kch1c
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012 01:01:28 PM »

Wow.. this is absolutely beautiful and so lifelike! I LOVE the geodes! You did a great job!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use And Create Actions in Photoshop
How to Make a Grunge Background in Photoshop
How to Make a Runescape Scene in 3ds Max Part 2/2
How to Make a Runescape Scene in 3ds Max Part 1/2
How to Make a Simple Animation - 3ds Max
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...