A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 305,035
Currently Running With Scissors:
429 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mario Cuff Bracelet  (Read 1357 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

katpac
« on: November 17, 2012 03:16:32 AM »

After seeing this: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=416081.0

I had to try to do this:

I'm not really sure why Mario's nose grew like that but I'm really happy with it anyway.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tiffi_333
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012 05:46:14 PM »

I really like it...how big did your cane turn out in the end? I've been playing around with the pixel canes as well since there are SO many awesome pixel images to choose from/create.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
katpac
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012 06:42:55 AM »

Before I started reducing the cane it was HUGE! ( at least compared to other canes I've made) it was close to 4" x 4" x 3". I reduced all of it down to 2" x 2" and then reduced some to 1" x 1" (that's what I used for this cuff) and some even tinier.  I'm not sure what to do with all of it!
I really want to try space invaders but I need to find a smaller square disc for my extruder so the next cane isn't as big.
I also realized I used Sculpey III for the flesh tone and CraftSmart clay for the rest. I think the softer clay did weird things in the cane and that's why the nose and hands grew.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tiffi_333
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012 04:41:20 PM »

the first cane i made was huge too, so im glad i picked something i really liked. One of the discs for my extruder is a small rectangle. i used that for my second pixel cane and the size was alot better. the length was 3 times the size of the height so i was able to use it for rows of the pixels. It was a bit of a pain when i only needed one or two pixel spots instead of three but it wasnt hard to cut a bit off the side. this way instead of needing (for a space invaders for instance) 9 pixels for the top row, i would only need 3 (since the small rectangle piece is like 3 small squares side by side)
it saved alot of time as well since you dont have to pump out as many pieces. Just thought i would mention this method instead if you want to make another pixel cane without making so many pieces or such a large cane. I also found since the size of these canes are smaller, you dont have to press the sides as much to make it the size you really need...it made it so there was a lot less chance of distorting the image. 

Sorry for such a long reply i just thought you'd like an easy method that wouldn't produce as much as the huge cane because it's hard to come up with SO many ways to use all the pieces you end up with.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012 04:43:52 PM by tiffi_333 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ErinAquaheart
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012 04:46:52 AM »

That is so cute. I haven't tried caning yet but have been trying to decide where the best place to start would be.  Was using a pixel pic simple enough for a noob?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
katpac
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012 10:10:31 AM »

tiffi- That's a great idea!  I'll have to go through my discs and see if the ribbon ones will work for me.

Erin- I don't cane very often at all.  The pixel was super easy because of the extruder.  Make sure you use only one kind of clay and that it's a stiff or leached clay.  That was the problem I had with Mario's nose and hands.  The flesh tone was too soft a clay and distorted and moved more than the stiffer clay I used for everything else.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sammylouise40
Polymer Clayaholic

Nerdy Crafter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013 04:01:05 PM »

This is really neat. Love the retro Mario. I've never made any canes before but I might have to give them a try now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swapping altered puzzle pieces. PM me if interested in swapping.

My Pinterest!
katpac
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013 08:24:26 AM »

Sammy- you should! I'm not really a caner but there are so many great pixel images out there. And an extruder makes it so easy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get a Braided Crown
Top Picks for Sulfate-Free Shampoos
Home Remedies for Dandruff
Zooey Deschanel 60s Updo Tutorial
How to Do a Chic Curly Updo
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...