A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,542
Currently Running With Scissors:
627 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cheap furniture/decor ideas needed!  (Read 1137 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FeedTheNeed
« on: November 16, 2012 05:22:23 AM »

Hello everyone! First post here, so forgive me if I fail to follow any standards and practices.

I am looking for cheap furniture and decor ideas. By cheap, I mean free or real close. lol

What I need:
  • Lamps
  • Shelves
  • Coffee table
  • Couch cover
  • End tables
  • Entertainment center/TV stand with storage
  • Wall decor

Things I like:
  • Modern/deco/simple/sleek furniture
  • Industrial decor
  • Star wars
  • Moveis! Almost any genre of movies
  • Tech (Computers, electronics, industrial)
  • Video games

What I have access to:
  • Cardboard! (Who doesn't, right?)
  • Everything needed for Paper Mache
  • Wooden pallets (possibly)
  • Spray paint (several colors)
  • Wood stain
  • House paint/wall paint
  • Computer parts (dead and working)
  • Craft paints (Acrylics)

Basically, I just moved across the state and had to do it cheaply. So my wife and I left most of what we owned, loaded our Blazer to the brim and took off. The house we had for rent fell through the day we moved which left us in a hotel for over a week at $60 a night. Needless to say, we are now broke. lol We found a place, and moved in with very little. Some help from friends, and bargaining on CraigsList and a local online rummage site, and we managed to get a couch, recliner, bed and other random furniture and decor.

The couch has a floral pattern on it that we both dislike, so we would like to cover that, but don't have a sewing machine or the skill to do it.

We have a large book collection (Much smaller than it was before we moved, but still quite large.) that needs a couple of sturdy bookshelves.

We have random items and knick-knacks that need a home on a shelf, and we tend to collect a lot of new stuff very quickly, so we'll need room to expand.

I have looked around the net, and so has my wife, for ideas, and we have some good ones, but I figured I would post here and see if anyone has any ideas for us to build some things.

We both love a good project, and used to do a lot of crafting and making random things, but we no longer have the supplies or the space to have a dedicated work area.

Thanks in advance,
Jake
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012 05:50:45 AM »

Since you like industrial decor, may I suggest a trip to the dump? You can often find old metal shelving from shops/garages that either have a broken leg, or are just old and rusted. With some work, you can refurbish them enough to get a few years of use.

On the topic of the dump, I was raised as a picker. Mom and I came home with LOTS of good stuff! You know those mid century side tables with spring-loaded leaves? That became the "kid's table" every Christmas. Ever seen a phone desk? That was our fat cat's favourite hangout Tongue

(Please note that most dumps have a no-picking policy so you need to do it surreptitiously while dropping off actual garbage, or simply become friendly with the people who work there. Cookies go a long way to building bridges.)

Also, the side of the road is a good place to look for random stuff like lamps and chairs. And if you subscribe to Peter Lapin's policy of checking beside the dumpsters of apartment buildings, you'll end up with too much stuff! Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FeedTheNeed
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012 06:08:52 AM »

Thanks for the reply, Alexus.

Unfortunately, our local dump is closed to the public, and they absolutely will not allow anyone in. (About 10 years back a few teenagers were injured severely, and a couple of them were killed in some sort of accident, so they locked it down.) This, for me, is a terrible thing, as I love picking up random junk and either refurbishing it, or turning it into something else completely.

Our town also has a "no large objects" policy for furniture and the like, so people have to hire someone to come pick it up, or just keep it. Most people take furniture out to a friends farm and "dispose" of it in a burn pile.

Our local CraigsList is also a joke, most of it is scams, and hardly anyone uses it anymore due to a lack of moderation. Luckily we have a rummage page on Facebook. We've gotten our couch, and recliner on there so far.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meckley0512
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012 06:41:12 AM »

Near by thrift shops? Sometime you can find some great things at thrift stores  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FeedTheNeed
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012 06:47:04 AM »

Only one, and the prices are insane.

When I moved away from here a couple of years ago, there was 4 thrift stores, I moved back to find one left. Sad

I'm pretty much looking to build what I need. The best source of materials I can think of would be wood pallets, but all the tutorials I keep finding on using them involves spending money on extra wood/metal parts. Which, for me, kind of defeats the purpose. lol
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012 06:49:31 AM by FeedTheNeed » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012 08:39:22 AM »

I've seen some cute coffee and side tables made from pallets, and the extras aren't all that expensive (just 2x4s and wood screws). Keep an eye out behind you local hardware store. Usually there is a scavenger who collects pallets to take back to the main local distributor, so you have to beat him to it (I dated one, so I know that competition between scavengers is fierce!). I searched on Pinterest for "pallet table" and quite a bit comes up!

Just had a thought about the couch: throw a bed sheet over it Tongue All the better if it's a Star Wars sheet!

So sad about that accident... What were teens doing in there, anyway? My hometown dump wasn't exactly a good place to play, and there were times I was glad my tetanus was up to date.

Does your town have a spring cleaning week/day? We've scavenged some good stuff during spring cleaning, like door knobs and the table I'm presently typing at Tongue That requires waiting til spring, of course...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012 08:42:19 AM by Alexus1325 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

FeedTheNeed
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012 09:57:37 AM »

I think I found a good coffee table idea made from pallets, as well as a bookshelf. I think I have a source for pallets at a local school/orphanage place.

There is no spring cleaning day here, I'm not sure why there isn't.

This town doesn't make it easy to scavenge things, that's for sure. lol

As for the teens, they snuck in there to party, and a large pile of scrap metal fell on them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
margiej
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012 07:37:59 PM »

How far is it to the closest town?  Is there a flea-market/swapmeet close? The days right around the first when landlords put stuff out for collection are sometimes productive.  How about local auctions?  I used to pick  tons of stuff off the street I resold at the flea-market and so did others I know, as well as at garage sales.  I supplemented my income this way, but you have to do it consistently, not just once and then give up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Too bad I don't hear voices, I would enjoy the company
WWW.PINTEREST.COM/MARGARETCJOY
karmacranes
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013 08:42:32 AM »

wow its been ages since i posted on here so it must be fate to find your post!  Cheesy

okay heres my story i'm a aus girl so i'm not to sure if this will help or not . i was a student (graduated whoot!) and broke going into my first and (ultimately failed) first share house.

-my partner collected milk crates (still does Roll Eyes) these make great sturdy bookshelves and you can cable tie them together ( we made a bed base from it and a few tetris themed bookshelves and one desk.)

-http://www.freecycle.org/ great place encourages the reuse of items such a furniture i picked up our old gal of a wardrobe ( oak with beautiful flourishes and clawed feet, which had come off. which i still have *phew* and a beautiful old doctors desk... now gone Cry)

-friends / local fates / neighbours / shops I hope your neighbourhood is a friendly one but make your self known to your neighbors you never know a bit of friendly help "and Cookies go a long way to building bridges." often they'll have junk lying around that you could use. and pick up for a song! and most retail shops would love to give you old boxes ( believe me i've worked in a few and dont mind it when people take the boxes!)

-ebay i hate  Sad every things either overpriced our just cheap.

if you are going to make stuff look on http://www.instructables.com/ and pintrest have great ideas!
(http://pinterest.com/pin/156781630750050072/ have a look at that one!) also theres  http://www.lifehacker.com.au/tags/furniture/ ( just be careful thats an australian site but might be great for plans and ideas!)

and of course http://www.youtube.com/user/ThreadBanger youtube vids! some people love to share there craftiness here. ( if you get annoyed by music / length muted it and power through it by dragging the bar )

Just had a thought about the couch: throw a bed sheet over it Tongue All the better if it's a Star Wars sheet!

we've done this on our old bomb of a couch! 70's duvet cover with wattle leaves and what not!

Good luck - scar
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to make an origami bird
How to Make an Origami Fortune Teller
How to Fold an Origami Paper Cup
How to Fold an Origami Elephant
How to Fold an Origami Kirigami Dove
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...