A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,875
Currently Running With Scissors:
524 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mirror Madness  (Read 613 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Pleasantly Malformed
« on: March 03, 2012 12:01:12 PM »

Hi All! Im a lurker here, sew-istress and a crafty female, and I have recently begun investing in my own home! Its a very mod looking '60's dealio and I can't describe how much I LONG to go all rainbow on this trailer, lol.

Recently I found myself looking at the Materials section on craigslist and found ten mirrors for 2o$, the whole lot. I imediently imagined something to make a massive, wall high tree out of broken mirror pieces.

So, now, my questions. What in the heck should I use to keep these pieces down? Also, I have a two year old... sharp edges anyone? Lastly, any other ideas??

Thanks!

-Pleasantly Malformed  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012 10:56:01 PM »

You could do it as a mosaic.  The tile mastic should be strong enough to hold it up - afterall, it is used to hold tiles up.  Either sand the edges down, or even a good thick layer of grout should help keep most of edges covered up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
kage_enjeru
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013 10:58:42 AM »

Are you making the tree right on the wall or building a basic frame, and gluing it to that?  If its the latter, I love gorilla glue for this type of thing, dries in 2 hours versus the 24 hrs of most epoxies. If its the previous, instantbound. (though make sure the little ones not around as it does have some fumes.) Its what I use for most of  my craft projects since I have 2 year olds as well, and I prefer my crafts to be dry by morning.  As for the sharp edges, you can use some wet/dry mid-grade sand paper.  It takes a while unless your lucky and have a dremel tool, in which case be sure to keep it lubricated.  Otherwise Modge Podge Hardcoat, several layers (like 3 or 4) around each glass piece.  Or since your doing a tree, maybe you can get some tree bark (I think birch would be pretty) and small strips of it between the mirror pieces?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Decorate a Wedding Cake Using Fondant
Southern Skillet Almond Shortbread Recipe
The History of Sweetheart Candies
Football Field Dessert Recipe for Super Bowl
How to Make a Super Bowl Dessert-a-Dome
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...