A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,617
Currently Running With Scissors:
720 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Altered Brooches Tutorial  (Read 1354 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Knickertwist
Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Gimme some sugar baby.

View Profile WWW
« on: November 15, 2012 08:39:37 AM »

A short while ago I created some altered art brooches. Well, I've made another batch and a little "how-to" in case you'd like to make your own. Here's one of mine completed...

Ready? Here's how....

For the base of my brooches I used square tins, and large and small round tins from Alpha Stamps
The tins have a clear plastic window that is fairly easy to remove. Just slice into the plastic with a craft knife and use a pair of pincers to twist and pull the plastic from the rolled tin grip.

The plastic will tear but your tins should be fine. You could keep window in place, but I prefer to remove them. Removing the window adds to the depth and you won't have to worry about the vinyl scratching or not being able to fix items that might dislodge inside. Using the base of the tin, trace around the edge on the reverse of a decorative scrapbooking sheet. When you cut this out, trim slightly smaller, just inside the line, so that the cut-out will fit into the bottom of the tin.

I like to cut out a bunch in a variety of papers so that I can 'play'.

Affix your cut-outs to the inside bottom of your tins.

Next, I gather the images I think I might use. These pictures are all from Tintypes Collage Sheet (my favourite!) and the School Days Collage Sheet from Alpha Stamps. To add a little extra weight, I glue the images on to heavy decorative paper and cut them out.

To soften the cuts, and hide the white of the paper, I run a paintbrush loaded with an umber coloured paint around the edges.

Now I start playing with placement. I mix and match, moving things around until things start to come together. As I keep working, these choices will change. It's good to experiment and go with the flow Smiley

If you'd like to add wings, hats, colour or other embellishments to your cut outs, now is a good time to do that. Aren't these Small Angel Wings adorable?!?

To add depth, I use two layers of double sided foam tape. Try to cover enough of the back so that the image is well supported.

As you put your items inside, place and replace the lid to see how your composition is coming along. The lid will cover quite a bit of space around the outside edge so it's important to check how well it all fits together before fixing your embellishments into place. In this tin, in addition to my winged girl, I've added Glittered Holly Berries, Tiny Paper Roses, White Rose with Heart Shaped Petals and some gorgeous tiny ivory and pink paper rose buds. It doesn't take much to fill up that tiny space!

Let's start on the exterior. I use a toothpick to carefully add jewellers glue to the of the tin. The rims that held the vinyl window in place are handy for gluing down trim. Here I'm using 2mm Rhinestone Chain which is absolutely perfect for those rounded corners and pretty and sparkly too boot!

You can now fasten the lid to the bottom of the tin and work on further embellishing the exterior. Work in layers and go slowly... think of it like composing a picture.

Keep playing until you're pleased with the results. Adding bits and bobs, here and there. When you're done, attach a pin back so that you can wear your new piece of art. I've used a silicone type glue which smooshes through those little holes, helping with the adhesion.

Now get out there and show off your handiwork!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

microjivvy
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012 10:43:47 AM »

Thank you for posting this -- I ordered a couple of those tins (the square ones) right after your first post, but I hadn't gotten around to doing anything with them and this will be a help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MicroJivvy.com:  Whatever I happen to be working on.
My Pinterest
leopardstripes

The other one has bells on it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012 12:15:04 PM »

Thank you for posting this- knowing how long it takes to write and photograph tutes, it's really appreciated!  Smiley Your brooches are really nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I can't seem to stay with one guru long enough to get enlightened." -from the Life and Letters of Tofu Roshi
shybutinspired
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012 07:08:35 PM »

the one wih the lady and the rhinestones is beautiful Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013 09:20:51 AM »

Just WOW!  Such lovely, amazing pieces!

~*pinned to Craftster's Jewelry & Trinkets Pinterest Board*~
THIS ROCKS   Logged

artista83

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013 09:54:27 AM »

i really love these! i have to get some photos like that , i have no printer so for art with picture collage i have a lot of problems, but i really would love to try this out!!!!! i really also love the way you pull them together. looks almost like lace or doily on something which i lovee how it looks! great idea! i will have to get some of those tins when i have some spending money lol.

how do they look on? i seem to have trouble at times with heaviness as in my pins seem to lean forward at the top when i want them to lay flat. does having the pin back placement on the top back remedy this? i ran out of pinbacks before i could try it out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Loves poppets and anything zombie! Will personal swap !
Knickertwist
Tutorial Contributor

Gimme some sugar baby.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013 09:59:44 AM »

Thanks artista83!

Placing the pin at the top really helps to keep it steady and not fall forward. Also, because the embellishments are light (90% paper) the brooches stay put pretty well. They look really cute on. My customers tell me that they are complimented on them all the time Smiley

i really love these! i have to get some photos like that , i have no printer so for art with picture collage i have a lot of problems, but i really would love to try this out!!!!! i really also love the way you pull them together. looks almost like lace or doily on something which i lovee how it looks! great idea! i will have to get some of those tins when i have some spending money lol.

how do they look on? i seem to have trouble at times with heaviness as in my pins seem to lean forward at the top when i want them to lay flat. does having the pin back placement on the top back remedy this? i ran out of pinbacks before i could try it out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

artista83

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013 10:09:52 AM »

also wanted to say i have seen alot of your stuff around and i love it all! one of my favorites is the clear house out of cd jewel cases with the terrerium and pics inside! and i think i saw a tute on lil mushrooms on one of your sites? love everything you make! Smiley

some day i have to get in gear and try making a tute on sculpting polymer faces. do you have a really good camera or something? your photos are always perfect!

i love seeing what you make! thank you for the splendid tutes and showing us all such awsome stuff! very inspiring! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Loves poppets and anything zombie! Will personal swap !
Knickertwist
Tutorial Contributor

Gimme some sugar baby.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013 10:56:23 AM »

Thanks so much! I appreciate the nice words  Kiss

do you have a really good camera or something? your photos are always perfect!

I have a crappy little (though incredibly reliable) compact digital camera. It's a Sony Cybershot to be exact and probably about 5+ years old.

I always shoot in natural light and I edit afterwards. I take A LOT of pictures and I photoshop ALL of my photos (even my family snap shots!) to some degree. It's usually just a matter of changing the 'brightness' or 'levels' but it makes a huge difference.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Linear Grayscale Painting
Plein-Air Landscape Painting Workshops
How to Draw Daffy Duck
How to Draw Kitty Katswell from T.U.F.F Puppy
How to Draw Katy Perry
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...