A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,050
Currently Running With Scissors:
657 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Candy Queen and Steve from Minecraft  (Read 2056 times)
Tags for this thread: minecraft  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lady Orizas

knitter & gunslinger

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: November 09, 2012 04:18:30 PM »

I couldn't enter the Halloween contest this year because I had to much going on at home, but I still wanted to share the costumes the hubby and I made for the kids this year! My daughter wanted to be a candy queen and my son wanted to be Steve from the game Minecraft.  I made my daughter's costume and my hubby made my son's.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PandaShrew

Roller derby is the best cult EVER!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012 05:16:37 PM »

Fantastic, this rocks x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Also known as Scourge of Quad

Would love to do a personal swap for a Zecora!
julianapegas
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012 08:30:28 PM »

Ahahaha, awesome! Both costumes rock, each in their own way Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DeviantartPoupe GirlLast.fmRavelry
Lady Orizas

knitter & gunslinger

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012 08:34:27 PM »

Thanks guys!   Now that I have more time.....The dress has a gummy bear neck line, a jelly bean bodice, a Hershey wrapper "belt", assorted gummy and hard candies on the top of the skirt, cotton candy for the middle (spray painted Fiberfill), and more Hershey wrappers to round out the bottom.  Her shoes are covered in nerds.  She has giant candy buttons for her armbands, and assorted suckers, rock candy, and jelly beans glued to her wig.  

I took an old dress that my daughter had and started hot gluing candy to it!  My daughter and I watch Project Runway together and she had the idea to be a candy queen after seeing the latest candy dress challenge.  The main challenge of this costume was designing it, the rest was just painstaking gluing.  It definitely took a few tries to get a nice flow to the candy.  I knew I wanted to use some gummy bears after seeing this http://www.lostateminor.com/2012/07/06/stunning-colourful-dress-made-from-50000-gummy-bears/  Amazing right?!?  My mother picked up a bunch of boxes of random gummies and hard candy when she found out what I was making, so I started to sort those by color (I was determined to use what she bought because the candy started to get a little spendy, it took a lot more to fill the dress than I had anticipated!) and I started filling in the skirt.  At this point the dress was already getting heavy and my daughter is a wee thing, so I had to think of some ways to cut down on the weight!  That's how the cotton candy and Hershey wrapper ideas were born.  I finally decided to fill the bodice with jelly beans because they are cheap and they tied the color combinations I had already used together.  I bought a Marie Antoinetteish wig because I wanted her to have a totally different look from last year, (she wore a blue wig and wore a cupcake dress LOL), I pulled the flowers and fake pearls off of it and glued down a jellybean headband and then added candy rocks as accents and tried to make the suckers look like a crown.  She wore red and white striped tights, white gloves with giant candy buttons glued to them, and I glued a whole bunch of nerds to an old pair of shoes.  I sealed everything with Mod Podge Clear Acrylic Sealer.  That stuff seriously worked like a charm.  The candy was not going anywhere, wasn't sticky at all and had a nice gloss to it.   It was like candy armor after I sprayed it!

My son's costume was all cardboard, paint, spray paint, and some tape.  My husband's main challenge was all of the time he spent getting the color tones right!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012 08:35:38 PM by Lady Orizas » THIS ROCKS   Logged
AmberLamps
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012 05:31:58 PM »

Both of these costumes are fantastic, and so original!  Great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lady Orizas

knitter & gunslinger

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012 04:04:59 PM »

Smiley Thank you so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Creme Brulee Without a Torch
How to Make a Blueberry Bruschetta: A Sweet Twist on an Italian Classic
How To Make Overnight Chia Seed Pudding
How to Make Hungover Donut Holes
Tipsy Affogato Dessert Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...