A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 298,065
Currently Running With Scissors:
689 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Casting molds  (Read 757 times)
Tags for this thread: kiln_formed_glass , mold  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CrazyEyeGlass

Will work for peer approval

View Profile WWW
« on: November 11, 2012 09:18:51 AM »

I ordered some casting molds and made these:

I thought when I bought these molds that I would be able to make a bunch of these with one process. This is what I have learned:

*The best pieces I made so far of the wine glass mold weigh 0.7 oz. Putting more or less glass in returns less than optimal results.

*The best pieces I made so far of the butterfly mold weigh 1.3 to 1.4 oz. Putting more or less glass in the mold may cause problems.

*Not enough glass results in the hole being incomplete and the glass not reaching all the way into recesses of the mold.

*Too much glass closes over the cone that is supposed to form the hole and could result in breaking the mold.

*Primo Primer works much better than regular kiln separator. I have not tried Boron Nitride spray--it seems expensive and you need to spray it on the molds outdoors while wearing a respirator. And once you use the spray, you cannot go back to using a liquid kiln separator.

*The first couple of pieces I made I used regular kiln separator in the mold. The opaque pieces of glass picked up the kiln separator. All these pieces are also unpleasantly rough on the bottom. I'll have to use my lap grinder to finish them.

*The firing schedule was *very* hard to find. So, here it is:
250 to 1100 hold for 5 minutes
250 to 1360 hold for 20 minutes
350 to 1470 hold for 10 minutes
full to 960 hold for 60 minutes
100 to 700 no hold

*Every piece I made required cold working with at least the grinder and a fire polish. After the first firing, each piece came out of the molds with jaggy edges.

*These molds are meant to be fired with the design face up.

*I used fine clear frit in the first couple of wine glasses I made and there were a lot of bubbles.

*The pieces do not easily pop out of the molds. You have to give the molds a couple of sharp whacks on a hard surface to remove the cast piece.

*These pieces seem to look better with lots of transparent glass.

I think the results are great, but there is definitely a learning curve involved. And I'll have to price these a little higher than what I initially thought due to the extra processes.

Enjoy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrazyEyeFusedGlass
Friend me on Facebook: Crazy Eye Glass
Follow me on Twitter: CrazyEyeGlass
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012 01:00:53 PM »

Those are pretty cool, and it sure sounds like the learning curve is substantial. Are there other types of molds that may work better or easier?

I would not use the Boron Nitride spray, it has too much danger and if you're unable to use anything else after, that i so limiting.

Do you weight the glass in the mold or before putting it in?

What is a lap grinder?

Thank you for sharing all this great information. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CrazyEyeGlass

Will work for peer approval

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012 01:59:17 PM »

Thanks! I weigh the glass in a container before I put it in the mold. I have a little digital kitchen scale that has a tare setting for weighing the container before you put the glass in.

I think that the problems with using molds for fusing are pretty much the same all around. I have a frit casting mold that has the same problems with jaggy edges.

Haha! Do not do a query on YouTube for "lap grinder" like I did when I first got mine! You'll get quite an education, but unfortunately not about what you're looking for! A lap grinder is a lapidary grinder and it's used for making cabachons out of rocks, but you can use them for glass too. Mine has a flat rotating magnetic disk with a water feeder. I have four disks with various grits that stick onto the magnetic disk. You can take off a lot of material with the heavier grit disk, then work your way up through the finer and finer grit disks until you achieve a highly polished "optical" edge.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrazyEyeFusedGlass
Friend me on Facebook: Crazy Eye Glass
Follow me on Twitter: CrazyEyeGlass
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012 03:20:28 PM »

Very cool! I have a grinder but it is a tabletop kind.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Simple Supplementary Lighting
Finding and Archiving Digital Images
Photographing Black and White Images
How to Capture a Car in Motion
Camera Settings For Panoramic Stitching
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...