A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,546
Currently Running With Scissors:
584 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I'm fairly new to knitting, can anyone help me with this pattern please :)  (Read 570 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pixiewings101
« on: November 10, 2012 10:15:58 PM »

Hi craftsters Smiley

So I'm fairly new to knitting, so far I know how to do the knit stich, purl and stockinette. Thats all lol. I would love to do this pattern (picture with link) however I do not know how to do that border, I can do the stockinette. Can anyone help me out please Smiley I already have the yarn for it I have a thick and chunky yarn by lion brand, but my needles are size 5.0 I hope thats okay. When explaining can you make it as simple as possible I'm still learning how to read the patterns. Saying row one: k1, p1, k2, p1 is fine I'm good with that.

Front:
http://i45.tinypic.com/1112q3c.jpg

Wrong Side:
http://i47.tinypic.com/29fxvlv.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012 05:51:04 AM »

I think, by rows, it's knit purl purl knit, because it's like a garter stitch border but 2 rows instead of one.

So on your first row, you'd knit 5 (or however many stitches are in the border) then follow the instructions, and if the border is also at the other end, you'd make sure those last 5 (or whatever) stitches are knit. On row two, you would make sure those 5* stitches are purl stitches, then row 3 you'd purl those 5* stitches, then row 4 you knit those 5* stitches. Row 5 is just row 1 again.

From one side, that would give the appearance of two rows of knit and two rows of purl.

I personally don't like knitting back and forth too much, because everything has to be reversed for the wrong side of the fabric Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012 07:17:58 AM »

Your needles are much too small for that heavy a yarn, you need a US size 13 or maybe 15. WE comes in 2 heavy weights -- chunky and Thick and Quick and the T&Q is thicker so you'd need the larger needle.

I disagree with the previous poster - there aren't 2 rows of purl and 2 rows of knit on the edges, it looks like that because it's stretched out and on large needles, but it's just plain garter bordering the stockinette stitch.

It's basic stockinette with a garter stitch border, so one row would be knit all stitches across (this is the 'right side' row which is the outside when you wear it) and the other (wrong side row, facing in) you would k4, purl all the stitches across to the last 4 and knit them too. You might want to start and end with 4 or 5 rows of garter (knit all stitches) so the ends don't curl up on you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
pixiewings101
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012 04:25:17 AM »

Thank you both, after I buy larger needles I will be making this and I'll post a picture after I'm finished Smiley thanks you both again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Bay Bridge LED Project
Tapping the Crowd to Design a New Kind of Retirement Home
Dissatisfaction as a Defining Quality of Great Designers
Maya Romanoff Receives a Lifetime Achievement Award
Visit the Cincinnati Contemporary Arts Center
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...