A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,575
Currently Running With Scissors:
671 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Chai Tea! from scratch, I'm hooked luckily the recipe made 2.5 quarts  (Read 943 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jeha
« on: November 11, 2012 11:44:47 AM »

I made some chai tea yesterday, so worth making from scratch. It is the best chai I have ever had.

This cookbook is amazing as well It has about a million recipes from all across India and all that I have tried have been excellent. Some of them are a little daunting though with exotic hard to find ingredients, and even the cooking techniques are unfamiliar. That's one of the reasons I decided to make the Masala Chai Tea, i had all the ingredients on hand and it is a simple process, although more involved than I would have thought. You boil for exact amounts of times before adding ingredients. Seems a little fussy, but the end result is amazing.
If you like chai I would strongly recommend making it from scratch at least once. It is delicious, comforting and exotic at the same time.

http://makingmpls.blogspot.com/2012/11/making-chai-masala-tea-weekend-project.html
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013 02:37:28 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

jennythor
crafty where it counts

crafting and swimming will save the world

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012 11:53:06 AM »

looks yummy, i do a variation of this recipe, only using 5 cardamon pods and a 1/2 inch piece of fresh ginger. one of my all time favorite drinks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

love to take part in personal swaps, I would love a poppet of my very own, or a doll like the ones made by Poppets & Lace
cankle

I'm a piece of work.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012 07:13:21 PM »

Oh, I love chai, especially this time of year. Is it possible for you to post the recipe and directions? I'd love to give it a try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jeha
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012 06:37:26 AM »

Here is the recipe I used, You can adjust things to suit your tastes. THe original recipe called for twice as much sugar, but I think 1/2 cup is perfect. I don't like things super sweet. And I added extra cardamom pods because mine were no longer green more of a grey, not sure how long I have had them Grin
    10 cloves
    10 green cardamom pods
    2 cinnamon sticks
    1 tsp fennel seeds
    1tsp ground ginger
    8 black tea bags(I used decaffeinated so I could drink it before bed, or whenever the hell I feel like it without having to worry about the caffeine keeping me awake)
    4 cups of milk
    1/2 cup sugar(you can add more or less depending on how sweet you want it. Substitute vanilla sugar to make Vanilla Chai tea)
    6 cups of water

First off put your water on the stove to boil. Then put the whole spices in a mortar and pestle.
Once your water starts to boil add crushed spices and ground ginger.
Boil for two minutes.
Add tea bags(remove the paper tags and staples)Boil 1 minute.
Reduce to a simmer, simmer five minutes.
Add milk, return to a boil, watch closely as it might boil over at this point.
Reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in sugar.
Strain and serve hot, store remaining in fridge for up to a week.
Once chilled it also makes a delicious iced tea, just pour over ice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Natural Volume Hairstyle Makeover
Funky Hairstyle and Night Evening Makeup Makeover
Bob Hairstyle and Smokey Eyes Makeover
Sweeping Fringe Makeover
Sun-kissed Style Hair Makeover
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...