A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,023
Currently Running With Scissors:
451 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Simplicity 1773 Snow White and the Huntsman.....  (Read 3213 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

krileymil
« on: November 09, 2012 06:42:30 PM »

So I was excited for this year to make my Halloween costume sadly I fractured my elbow and all I had to show for it was a lovely costume on my doll and limited fun to be had......lol but not to worry it wasn't a complete loss I found myself having fun taking the young tikes treat or treating and scoring some loot for myself. So I'll just add my experience for this costume I had fun making.

Here is the inspiration for the costume from the actual movie

Here is my version of the costume.

Pattern Description:
It's the pattern for Snow White and The Huntsman....

Pattern Sizing:
Its a size 12

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?

Yes it looked like the picture with a few modifications. I did the short version of this dress

Were the instructions easy to follow?

The instructions were easy but at the same time a bit confusing. I am an experience seamstress so I kinda went on my own tangent an took the liberty with changing some things. The difficult part was the sleeves if I had to do it again I'd probably approach that situation differently but hey you live and learn.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

Dislike: I didn't like that ruffle portion on the main dress. Maybe because I chose ivory and it just didn't look that polish for me so I omitted that.

The short dress sleeves my fabric was kinda heavy so to add the snaps was a bit difficult for me. I wish I would have doubled the #23 pattern piece made it a bit longer that way I could add the straps either inside the fold or maybe it would have taken the entire fabric. I don't know but it gives me some ideas.

The main dress sleeves the bottom with the interfacing was a new thing for me. Made it sort of stiff and I didn't like that really but that's just me.

Like: I loved it...I fully lined the short dress although the pattern only calls for the top. I like the peekaboo red a bit of an homage to Disney Snow White. Otherwise I was content. I also did a lot of top stitching because it made it look cleaner. Also I didn't have the patience to keep ironing the thing but it looked good on the heavier fabric.

Fabric Used:

I used heavy satin for the bottom dress, red taffeta for the lining on the short dress. I don't know what fabric my short dress but it was heavy suede but it came already with interfacing but I think that's because of the stitching but it saved me some $$$ with buying the interfacing. The yard was 4 bucks and I thought that was a steal especially since its 60 wide.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I couldn't use the snaps because of the difficulty I had with the short dress fabric so I just attached the sleeves to the actual dress itself. I liked it I would have preferred the snaps for the vintage feel but again turned out great.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I would....especially since I'm a perfectionist not really but I like it. Maybe I just too much fun...

Conclusion:
This pattern was great, I found it really helpful. Although there were a lot of pieces to cut hey I managed...I also added a couple inches in the back because I wanted to lace it up from the back instead of adding a zipper. I wanted to keep it period peace...It was enjoyed by all...labor of love

THIS ROCKS   Logged
hayleylujah
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012 07:03:27 PM »

That looks awesome! Good replication. I didn't care much for that movie, but the majority of the time I was watching it I was admiring the costumes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My jumbled blog of vegan rantings on food and crafts: http://limabeanlover.wordpress.com/
moosedoom
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012 07:42:07 PM »

Dude. So true. The only good thing that came out of that movie were some freaking amazing costumes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gingerberrycc
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013 10:36:26 PM »

Thanks for the review! I'm thinking of using the top part of this for my Snow White costume this year.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013 11:58:52 AM »

Great job, it looks fantastic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
ThaOz

With a needle, always !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013 05:06:03 AM »

It looks great !
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AlenaSelene
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013 09:33:57 AM »

Great job! That is fantastic
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pixeegrl
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013 05:09:14 AM »

Looks great! Making the same costume and yes there are sooooo many pieces to cut out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Importance of a Sprit Leveled Tripod
How to Harmonize colors in an Image
Understand the Difference Between Formal and Informal Symmetry
How to Photograph landscapes with a Telephoto Lens
How to Take a Trees Portrait
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...