A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,617
Currently Running With Scissors:
823 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gauge Drama  (Read 494 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dawn0684

You know what? It doesn't matter.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 08, 2012 06:25:08 PM »

So, I'd consider myself to be an intermediate knitter. I've been knitting for several years and I've knit sweaters, socks, hats, you name it. However, gauge has just always been one of those things that alludes me. I don't know why, or how.. even if I'm following a pattern and I have the right yarn and needle size, the gauge is still wrong. I'm sure I'm not the only one with this issue, just figured I'd bring it up since I'm working on a beanie hat that seems to be sized for a fashionable elephant.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I <3 personal swaps
MaggieMo
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012 02:31:02 PM »

lol I have a problem with this too sometimes. If I'm following a pattern with the correct yarn and needle tho, I don't have a problem its when I go it alone I have this problem. Do you make your test swatch with the yarn you picked? Sometimes I'm OK with it, sometimes it simply doesn't work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"But I don't want to go among mad people." said Alice. "Oh, you cant help that," said the cat. "We're all mad here."
soozeq
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012 07:53:53 AM »

The 'right' needle size is the one that gives you the gauge given, even if it's a different one than used in the pattern. No 2 knitters get the same gauge with the same yarn and needle size, everyone has a different tension due to how they hold and wrap the yarn. So you need to match the gauge that's given, with whatever needle makes it. That entails knitting a sample that has several more stiches than the gauge says for 4". Then measure 4" across it without including the edge stitches since they're a different size than the ones in the center of the row.

If the hat is knit in the round then you do the sample in the round too because most of us purl looser or tighter than we knit so if you knit all stitches in the round you don't make purls and that will change from your flat gauge. You can cast on for the pattern and work a few inches then measure to see how close it is. Or you can fake it by casting on 20-30 sts, knit 1 row then slide the sts back to the beginning of the needle and knit another row leaving a very long loop of yarn across the back. Continue until you have about 3-4" then you can measure your sts per inch. Another thing about hats is they should be an inch or 2 smaller than the head size because they stretch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Become a Professional Artist
How to Market Artwork
The Basic Supplies for Face Painting
How to Face Paint a Christmas Tree Tattoo
How to Create a Collage for Your Face Painting Work
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Favorite Vegan Recipes
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...