A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
490 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "Sew invisibly" ?  (Read 1249 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rebecnik
« on: November 08, 2012 05:44:47 PM »

I'm working on a super elegant, gorgeous dress that I will absolutely post when finished. There are adorable bows that go on the shoulders, and that's where I am now. The problem is that it's telling me to "sew invisibly" on a couple of the lines. The only way I know to do this is by hand, picking up just a few threads at a time on the side that will be seen. I would like to avoid this, because I don't have much time left to finish this. That's also just really a lot of effort. All I can find online is for stitching a blind hem, which I'm pretty sure is not what this wants me to do. For reference, I've included an image of this page of the pattern below. Any suggestions? Thanks for looking!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012 08:22:51 AM »

It looks like they want you to be sure to keep the interfacing from shifting so that the bow will hold its shape.  Depending on your fabric, I would totally skip that step and just use iron on interfacing. Cheesy  Check your pattern--what type of interfacing did they recommend?  There are so many types now, even for the finest of fabrics likes silks and velvets, etc.

The hand sewing would be just catching one stitch of the fabric---a tiny little prick stitch.  Yes,  it would be a bit time-consuming.

I used to do a lot more hand sewing but now I try to so as many shortcuts as I can since in reality, people don't keep their clothes that long due to fashion changes and not using super expensive fabrics.

I am sure the dress is going to be gorgeous--can't wait to see it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rebecnik
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012 02:12:12 PM »

Hm, that all makes sense. It did recommend using sew-in interfacing, but the shantung is thick, so it can't be that big of a deal to use iron-in, right? I hope to get to the point that I can take short-cuts. This is only my third commercial pattern, so I'm still learning what's necessary (not to mention all the vocabulary)!

Now, what do you think about using invisible thread and a long stitch?

Thank you so much for your advice!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012 02:17:14 PM by rebecnik » THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012 06:15:38 AM »

The shantung is going to be beautiful!  The fabric is stiff enough to make those lovely bows!  The only problem that I see in using invisible thread is that it is a stiff thread..shantung  generally has a pronounced weave and shine...any shine on fabric shows every stitch clearly..however, the instructions show that the stitching will be on the fold so it should be easily hidden...I would test it on a scrap to see if you mind the small indentations that the stitches will create.  I say do it!  Each item you sew will be a learning experience...even mistakes teach...and I bet no one will even notice because the the outfit usually shows off a lovely fabric...Fit is probably more important than a few stitches showing! Cheesy

I would highly recommend the Vogue Sewing Book...it is a basic guide but it is also for people who want to do fine tailoring and sewing...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rebecnik
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012 11:13:33 AM »

Thanks a million for the advice! I did end up testing the invisible thread on some scrap shantung, and as you said, it did show the indentations. I had just enough iron-in interfacing to replace the sew-in stuff, and that seemed to do the trick. It stiffens the bows even more, so there's an added bonus. I actually don't think I'm done with the bows, though. They're *gigantic,* and I'm actually thinking about folding the top and bottom parts (from the last step in the scanned image) in half. Then, they'll be a cute, non-overwhelming size. Thank you SO much for the sewing book recommendation! I will look into that. I am so shocked at all the terminology that I keep encountering. I never expected sewing to be such a "complicated" art.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012 07:50:29 AM »

I started sewing when I about 11--I didn't even bother learning the terms until I hit college and took Home Economics...I probably would not have sewn if I had learned them earlier--they can be intimidating and too much info! Cheesy

I am glad now, but even then, sewing should be a labor of love, not a chore...take chances and do it your way...like your bows! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rebecnik
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012 08:47:40 AM »

Good words. Thank you so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Teeth Whitening Product Made Out Of Three Items
Ms. New York Senior America LIVE
Senior Pageant Queens Look Back On 8 Decades Of Style
How This 62-Year-Old Pageant Queen Turned Her Life Around At 50
6 Ways to Try New Beauty Products Before You Buy Them
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...