A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,378
Currently Running With Scissors:
582 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Last Tsars  (Read 3766 times)
Tags for this thread: costume , tsar , halloween_costume , craft_challenge_44_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mandanak

I maded puppets!

View Profile WWW
« on: November 07, 2012 07:40:45 PM »

I normally don't go all out (at all!) for Halloween, but my best friend informed me that this was the year to go as the Romanovs. He's been working on his costume for years; I had about a month. But since this felt like quite an honor, I really had to turn it out. And, if I do say so myself, we looked awesome. LOTS of people took our picture when we went out and about.

I'm only entering MY costume; his is also awesome, but he did it all himself.

Here's us!

(Edited to add: here's a full-length picture of my costume! The train is up on my arm; I sewed a loop in it for mobility.)

And here's who we were going for (Nicholas II and Alexandra were the last Russian Tsars, overthrown in the Russian Revolution in 1917):

The dress was a little tricky to figure out; official Russian court dress was, apparently, very specific. Tight slightly off-the-shoulder bodice, an overskirt open to reveal an underskirt, and those curious split sleeves. There's also the jeweled crown called a kokoshnik, in that Russian halo shape--and married ladies have a veil attached to the back of the crown.

I started with these raw materials: A cheapo Goodwill wedding dress I had used as purchased, for a costume a few years ago:

... A pile of bling (from H&M, thrift stores, and craft stores), and a pile of other wedding dresses (used-by-the-pound store):

After hacking apart all those wedding dresses, I saved the bodice from the original dress, made an overskirt out of the skirt of one of the dresses, and made an underskirt from scratch. Here's the dress sans sleeves:

The sleeves were hard to get my brain around -- unTIL I found a tutorial for something unlikely: a dress from the Pirates of the Caribbean movies! The *top* of the sleeves, and the split, was just perfect; they only somehow needed to be way longer and pointed at the bottom. Lots of self-drafted pattern trials later, I came up with my final product:

I also made the the (important) jewelry myself, of which I was very proud: I cannibalized a homemade choker to make another pearl choker, and I frankensteined a bunch of necklaces and pendants together to make that Blingtastic necklace:

The first "Halloween" (ie, Saturday), I was crownless ... BUT the next morning I found the one thing I needed, that I didn't even know existed -- Flat Aluminum Floral Wire! Who knew?!? And it was just the thing to build a crown with. Genius!!! Thank you, Cliff's Variety! You truly DO have everything I need.

I made a form out of cardboard, and then built the crown around it, using that awesome flat wire. The pearls on top, I made out of pearl fimo, built around head-pins; I also used glass pearl beads, faceted gold glass beads, some gold glass seed beads, a thrift store rhinestone necklace basically un-changed, and lots of thin beading wire. The veil was a piece of the tulle overskirt of the *original* wedding dress (which handily had beaded lace motifs on it) -- I just cut it off and clipped it to my hair.

Pearls in progress: Aliens? No, going into the oven.

Crown in progress:

On Ma Haid:

Ready for my Xtreme Closeup:

Thanks, everyone! ;o)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012 08:17:44 PM by mandanak - Reason: to add full-length picture » THIS ROCKS   Logged

To craft and to solve.
jampvending
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012 08:21:09 PM »

OMG! You deserve a Faberge' egg for this amazing costume!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Makestuff4kids
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012 10:59:56 PM »

Wow!  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RhymeswOrange
please excuse her for the day, its just the way the medication makes her...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012 04:13:40 AM »

Fantastic costumes.  Amazing that you managed that sofisticated look in such a short time. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I think my cat is sending me subliminal messages...
bunny1kenobi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2013 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012 04:34:05 AM »

Wow! Just.... Wow! speechless....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mandanak

I maded puppets!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012 12:44:35 PM »

Thanks, guys! ;o)
I'm so glad you like it! It was a labor of love. I was kind of obsessed and worked like crazy, and I must say I'm pretty pleased with how it came out. Especially the crown ... the first construction attempt (not pictured here) was a Hot Mess. Yeesh. And as a typically low-maintenance, shy-and-retiring kind of person, it was pretty exciting to get all fancied up, and have random people on the street stopping us to take our picture, and telling us how great we looked, and yelling out excitedly who we were (we didn't really want to tell anyone, so we made them guess, and a surprising number of people guessed right!)

I learned a lot of unexpected things from this process, so if anyone has construction questions, just ask! I'd love to share!
Happy November! ;o)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To craft and to solve.
sewmess

Even Mini crafts!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012 12:54:19 PM »

You've inspired me to want to go disassemble a mass of wedding dresses!!

seriously...that is awesome, in the original "awe inspiring" meaning, as well as the 80's overused groovy meaning.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Reclaiming my Crafting heritage one stitch at a time.
jampvending
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012 02:16:27 PM »

Do you have a full length picture of you and your friend in your costumes? Please post it! I'd love to see you in all of your magnificent glory!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012 05:52:16 PM »

Yes, do retrieve the full-length photo and post it! I knew who you were instantly from the thumbnail, which is a sure sign you've hit it exactly right. The court gown is very good, and I would never have guessed it was cobbled together from old wedding dresses. And that crown is a work of genius. Flat aluminium floral wire? Really? Shocked I hope you win!

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

schizo319
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012 07:44:55 PM »

Phenomenal job! Seriously, one of the best complete costume ensembles that I've ever seen.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hair Highlighting Tips
Highlighting your Hair
How to Make Emo Style Extensions
How to Do an Emo Haircut
Learn how to Care for Haircutting Equipment
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...