A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 298,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
656 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I want to make some lightweight sculpted plug earrings and I need help!  (Read 624 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

insanemime
« on: November 06, 2012 12:25:22 PM »

Greetings,

I am new to the community and thought some of you may be able to help me out.

I am wanting to make a set of ear plugs (earrings) that are in the shape of an alien chest burster. Example: http://tinyurl.com/d2soypg

I know what sort of design I want, but I have no idea how to fabricate such a thing. I would assume that it would need to be made with a very lightweight, sculpt-able material, but I have no idea what I could use.

This idea may be un-doable, but I thought I would ask around and see what others might come up with.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012 06:02:25 PM »

Doubt it is undoable - try over at the polymer clay board.  Looking at your reference, I am thinking you could probably do it out of a bakeable polymer clay - shape, bake, shape more if needed, paint, and varnish.  Or make it out of an air dry two part resin like Apoxie Sculpt - it can be shaped, allowed to dry.  When dry, it could be sanded drilled, etc, and then painted and varnished.  For the fine detailing, you may need some pretty precise tools, like mini picks and files.  Both materials would be quite lightweight by themselves.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
pheeliques
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012 06:23:01 PM »

i second onyxnox--

polymer clay like fimo or sculpey is probably the best way to go in terms of a lightweight material.  they make great flesh-toned clays and lots of other great colors. 

if you don't have a lot of experience with sculpting, it could be pretty difficult trying to make something so small as an earplug.  however it's not impossible, especially if you are willing to go for the "chestburster effect" rather than trying to render the chestburster as you see it in the pic you posted.

i'm no sculptor, so i can't give you experienced tips, but as someone who loves trying to make new things (and often failing miserably, but hey, i learn a lot!), here is what i would do:  start out by creating the general shape of the thing, but a little bit bigger and fatter than i'd want the end product to be.  then i would start removing bits here and there, trying to produce something with more definite lines like what i am going for.  it's a lot easier to remove than to put back what i removed, so i would go slow and just remove tiny little bits.  once i got the flesh-colored bits the way i wanted them, i would start adding the little bits of colored material (red! and some black/brown) until i had achieved the effect i was going for.

or, i would buy a pizza for one of my sculptor friends and get them to make it.  :-)

if you do have a go at it, i hope you will post a picture of the result!  good luck

THIS ROCKS   Logged
insanemime
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012 09:07:51 AM »

Sorry for the late reply.

Thanks so much for the help. I will look into some of those materials.

I have some limited sculpting experience with clay but nothing as small as this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Portrait Glow Effect - Photoshop
How to Add a Border in Photoshop CS3
How to Create Metal Text in Photoshop CS3
How to Change Hair Color in Photoshop CS3
How to Add a Bevel or Emboss Blending Option to Text in Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...