A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,222
Currently Running With Scissors:
460 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sweeney Todd Razors  (Read 564 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

starlightcheese
Chaos screaming, chaos dreaming.

Gotta do more! Gotta be more!

View Profile
« on: November 06, 2012 05:19:52 AM »

Hello, kids! I haven't been around a while, but here's the latest thing I worked on . . .

I recently had the opportunity to (at the last minute) create gore effects and razorblade props for a production of Sweeney Todd. I made 4 Sweeney razors in total, and also a razor for Pirelli, Sweeney's 'competition'.

Sweeney's razors are all over a foot long when they're open (and read beautifully from the stage, I might add.). All razors were made out of wood with two machine screws through them to hold the pieces together. After that stage was complete, hot glue was added for decoration, and then I painted the razors using a sort of dry-brush technique. The handle design is a kind of classic straight razor handle, but I modeled the blades after a meat cleaver.

This one above is called Vengeance. The blade flips in and out easily with one hand, and it has an angel wing on one side of the handle and a demon wing on the other. There was also a partner to this one called Salvation, which had a bird in flight on one side and the name "Johanna" etched on the other side.

this is the only WIP shot I have. These are the Sweeney blades all lined up and ready for sanding.

This is Pirelli's razor. It's actually NORMAL razor size (about 8-10 inches when opened all the way), and was based off of an actual razor that I found a picture of and quite liked. The razor is made of wood, the handle stained a dark cherry-ish. The flat-back pearls were actually made by taking plastic faux pearls and heating up the backs of them with a lighter, then smooshing them on to wax paper. A very high-tech process. This razor is much smaller because I didn't want it to overshadow or compete with Sweeney's razors which are a character in themselves.

I also did the blood effects for the show . . . but a magician never reveals those secrets. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Blacksmith
Doing stuff and saving the world

Overlook near Brown Mountain

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012 08:20:48 AM »

I'll reveal my secrets for stage blood:
Ketchup, red food coloring, corn syrup, and latex bladders and hoses for creating that impressive arterial spray. If you really heal on it you can reach people in the 3rd row!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy.-Oscar Wilde

Available for personal swaps, send me a PM. I make crafty tools!
starlightcheese
Chaos screaming, chaos dreaming.

Gotta do more! Gotta be more!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012 08:33:41 AM »

My effects were way more low tech than that, but still incredibly impressive. And I didn't use any ketchup . . . I can't stand the stuff. My blood was a mix of food dye, corn syrup, water, and laundry detergent.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make an Origami Fish
How to Make an Origami Lily
How to Make an Origami Bat
How to Make an Origami Inflatable Bunny
How to Make an Origami Flapping Bird
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...