A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,743
Currently Running With Scissors:
546 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Deciphering the knit pattern of two-color waffle pattern  (Read 1234 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rio
« on: November 05, 2012 11:27:08 AM »

I really liked this scarf from urban outfitters, except that the acrylic yarns wasn't nice.  It seemed to be quite simple and I was confident that I can replicate it, yet I am failing miserably. I wanted to ask advanced knitters for help to deciphering this pattern.  I took a picture of front and back. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

links for images:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/50368075/IMG_0222.jpg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/50368075/IMG_0221.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rio
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012 01:37:49 PM »

Does anyone have any idea?  Huh
Here is another image: http://www.urbanoutfitters.co.uk/content/ebiz/urbanoutfitters/invt/5851426454500/5851426454500_Grey_l3.jpg
This looks a knit to me but is it really a knit?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012 10:35:25 AM »

It's some type of brioche -  check out the variations at www.briochestich.co m
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
kimadagem
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012 09:33:19 PM »

I think it is garter stitch in two different colors, dark and light, with several strands of the light yarn being carried with the stitches on the light rows, alternating in front of and then behind each stitch (not knitted, just carried). It also looks like the light yarn is being knitted with several strands together; I see at least 3 2-ply strands on some of the stitches. It's hard to tell with the dark yarn but I don't think it's being used the same way; maybe there are fewer strands of dark being used than light.

The yarn doesn't look like acrylic to me. I found the full listing and it just says "mixed fibers," which probably means they don't really know. But they do say "hand wash" which makes me think some of those "mixed fibers" would be affected or damaged by machine washing. The first thing I would think of there is wool, but there could also be others; whatever they are, the washing instructions say to me that this scarf is at least partially made from natural fibers. Synthetics like acrylic tend to do OK in a machine; naturals, not so much.

This looks like a really thick scarf. I think if I were making it I would have to use much bigger needles than I would normally use for that yarn, just because of the multiple strands and the stranding.

That's my best guess without seeing it in "person." I hope that helps and that you can figure it out. It's an interesting pattern.

Meg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All my articles are listed on

http://www.kimadagem.weebly.com/
bananaleg
Will Knit For Tattoos... or Airfare

ahonui, lokahi, 'aka'aka

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012 02:47:29 AM »

To me, it kind of looks like a two-color rib broken up by a garter ridge.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest | etsy | blog

Can i knit you something in seed stitch? I'd love to swap you for: handspun yarn, hand carved banana stamp...
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Basting Stitch
How to Back Stitch
How to Wrap a Difficult Item
How to Choose Collage Materials
How to Choose Cross Stitch Materials
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...